Turn on thread page Beta

uni suicide? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    dont you ever get the feeling that uni is the worst thing ever? i sometimes think i wanna kill myself it gets that hard?

ReputationRep:
    No which uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    No which uni are you at?
    chester its solid im doing criminolgy!

ReputationRep:
    I think uni can be a bugger sometimes its stressful but its not worth killing yourself over when it comes down to it, its just a means to an end. Uni is just a means to get a better job. If it makes you feel like that take a break from study and the stress do something else for the night and if you feel like that all the time then quit its not worth your life.

ReputationRep:
    cool Chester is a nice place!

ReputationRep:
    cool Chester is a nice place!
    no its not where are you? its a really nice place with some really interesting people but sometimes i feel like its a big waste of time!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield at the moment
    whats it like there? gotta be better than here! so what you doing???

ReputationRep:
    Not once has that thought entered my head lol... London and KCL is great so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Not once has that thought entered my head lol... London and KCL is great so far.
    what you doing there? its not ALL the time just now and then when things start getting me down and i start missing family and start falling behind on essays and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    i'm a small town girl I used to go to Aberystwyth and I loved it so much. It is small so you could just walk into a pub and you were bound to find someone you knew. And the seagulls used to wake me up (ooh I'm getting all nostalgic)

I have too much work to explore Sheffield that well (I am doing a law postgrad) and it doesnt help that i have been ill all term. I havent been out that much but there is loads to do here. I hate having to think that it isnt safe to go out late at night etc. when I was at aber if i wanted a snack past midnight I wouldnt hesitate to go out and get one which you cant really do in a city because it isnt as safe.

ReputationRep:
    i'm a small town girl I used to go to Aberystwyth and I loved it so much. It is small so you could just walk into a pub and you were bound to find someone you knew. And the seagulls used to wake me up (ooh I'm getting all nostalgic)

I have too much work to explore Sheffield that well (I am doing a law postgrad) and it doesnt help that i have been ill all term. I havent been out that much but there is loads to do here. I hate having to think that it isnt safe to go out late at night etc. when I was at aber if i wanted a snack past midnight I wouldnt hesitate to go out and get one which you cant really do in a city because it isnt as safe.
    well im origannlly from Newtown do know where that is about 40 miles away from aber? so im fromm a very small town!

ReputationRep:
    In actual fact about one in three uni students suffer with depression due to pressure of work and missing family etc. Try taking some herbal remedies such as st. Johns wort as they do keep your moods more balanced if you feel really bad go to the doctors they are normally sympathetic.
    You would be surprised how many people feel exactly the same way.

ReputationRep:
    im only joking to them people that end up having a go at me!shes sat next to me!

ReputationRep:

Sheffield is supposed to be one of the safest cities around. Wasn't it voted number 1?

ReputationRep:
    Yup I have been to Newtown.
    I am actually surprised that i havent felt depressed this term but I think now that I am older I cope with things better. In my first yr at aber I was very homesick and of course it didnt help dating someone I lived with and then breaking up and having to live with them for the rest of the yr. Not a good move!!

You find as you build stronger bonds and make friends they become like a substitute family. I was so homesick for my friends when I left but you keep making new friends life moves on and you survive.

ReputationRep:
    Its still a city though. I live in a village at home, and when I was at aber there is literally no crime. One of my friends left their front door ajar all over xmas by accident and it didnt get burgled. You could get away with not locking your doors in halls- across the corridor shared our shower so the flat door was always open and the front door too.

In Sheffield we have swipe cards for main entrances etc.
    There are thefts here but fortunately in comparison to most other cities it isnt too bad. Oh and my halls are in the red light district so you notice that a lot more.
    It isnt really safe for girls to wonder round by themselves at night, I think it is safe in comparison to alot of cities but it certainly isnt safe I wouldnt go to the shop past 9 at night by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Its still a city though. I live in a village at home, and when I was at aber there is literally no crime. One of my friends left their front door ajar all over xmas by accident and it didnt get burgled. You could get away with not locking your doors in halls- across the corridor shared our shower so the flat door was always open and the front door too.

In Sheffield we have swipe cards for main entrances etc.
    There are thefts here but fortunately in comparison to most other cities it isnt too bad. Oh and my halls are in the red light district so you notice that a lot more.
    It isnt really safe for girls to wonder round by themselves at night, I think it is safe in comparison to alot of cities but it certainly isnt safe I wouldnt go to the shop past 9 at night by myself.
    Red light district? Are you serious, isn't that the *ahem* sort of area, why did you decide upon there. Was it cause accomodation is cheaper, or its easier to et to the uni/places?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in halls but the location of prostitutes in Sheffield isnt something that they put on the prospectus strangely enough!

The flats are great but we have some nice ladies stood on the corner opposite most nights. And my friend drove to the little spar shop thing up the road the other night at around 9 and she said there was a lady on every corner, classy!

They dont really bother you that much I dont go out that much at night so I have only seen them a few times but i am very conscious of what I wear when I go out at night, wouldnt want to be mistaken for one of them

Its a problem you get in every city though and not really anything to worry about, the halls in general are very safe.

ReputationRep:
    I know some people found it very hard to settle in at uni, especially those who had never spent that long away from home before. It's a huge upheaval and it's understandable that some people don't react too well to it initially. I didn't have any problems though - I've felt crappy at some points, but overall I've loved it - they've just been temporary, essay crisis/general unlovedness moments that I get through. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, in fact I wish I was still up there.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.