Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    The only democracy one worth having is one which protects the individual against all including the tyranny of the majorty. Some say this is not pure democracy i.e. majority rule, but so what? Just because most want something does not make it right, thus all must be restrained, liberal democracies do this. If the majorty wanted to kill one ethnic group i would oppose their right to do this. After all we are ALL individuals, but not all of us belong to the majority.
    Hmm I think that argument is a bit dodgy. So what system of democracy would you have that protects the individual from the majority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Hmm I think that argument is a bit dodgy. So what system of democracy would you have that protects the individual from the majority?
    A liberal democracy i.e. each individual is given a number of rights which NO ONE may take away, unless they break the law of course. Read Mill's On Liberty

ReputationRep:
    I think guns should be banned everywhere and not just in america

ReputationRep:
    Democracy. I'm sure democracy would vote for a ban on religious hatred.
    Really?

There is a difference between asking people:

"Would you like to see an end to religious hatred"

and asking

"Would you favour TRYING to prevent OVERT and EXPLICIT religious hatred by banning the ability of people to express their views?"

ReputationRep:
    So where do you draw the line between libertarian and anarchist?
    Libertarians are against restricting people's freedom, but accepts preventing people from directly harming others in some cases.

The difficulty is the line between harm that warrants restrictions, and harm that doesnt (eg causing offence). Libertarians accept the need for SOME restrictions - too much freedom destroys freedom and so on. Anarchists do not.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with banning guns in the US is its somewhat too late. Everyone has them - they are too freely available to "put the toothpaste back in the tube". The question in the abstract - would the US be better if people didnt have guns - to me gives an easy answer. Yes.

However the question - is it possible to remove guns from American society through operation of law? Does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    I think guns should be banned everywhere and not just in america
    And how exactly would one enforce this?

ReputationRep:
    that is what i have been trying to figure out... =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    I dont think we (Non-US Citizens) could possibly comment on the American Constitution. What works for us may not work for other countries.
    Very good point!

Some Americans in rural areas live 30 minutes from the nearest police station and they NEED to have a gun in the house. It's simply not an option not to have one. People in Europe (and in urban areas in the USA too, I suppose) need to understand this before passing judgement on us.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a gun thing, it's a race thing. Run away and hide kiddies, truth about race is out on the prowl... :rolleyes:

White Americans are pretty much the same as White Europeans. African and Hispanic Americans are pretty much the same as Africans and Hispanics back home in Africa and S.A. It is the race-typical behaviour of Blacks and Browns which inflates gun crime figures in the U.S.
    In 1992, murder rates for American blacks were 43.3 for every 100,000 blacks. Whites committed murder at about one eighth that rate, or 5.1 murders for every 100,000 whites. The murder rate for American whites was therefore lower than that of Britain or Italy, despite the wide availability in America of firearms.

Crime Rates in Europe and America
    (per 100,000 population)
    Britain France Germany Italy U.S.A.
    Murder 7.4 4.6 4.2 6.0 9.3
    Robbery 62.6 90.4 47.3 68.6 263.0

European data for 1990, American data for 1992.
    Robbery rates were similar. In 1992, the black rate was 1,343 per 100,000, while the white rate was 126. The figure for American whites, though higher than that of any European country, is not strikingly higher than the rate of 90.4 for France.

Crime rates for American whites are actually lower than these figures suggest. Since the FBI does not treat Hispanics as a separate category, if a Mexican immigrant kills someone, this raises the “white” crime total. Hispanics are more violent than whites, so “white” crime rates are artificially inflated.
    http://www.amren.com/946issue/946issue.html

Should White America 'ban' Blacks and Hispanics? That would do more good.

The refusal to be honest about Black and Brown crime by 'nice-whites' is racist, no?

The reason for the differences may be something to do with evolutionary psychology, anyone?

Recommended - new print out recently or presently. Michael Levin is Professor of Philosophy at the City College of New York and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, a rare academic, honest about race, not coincidentally a libertarian.

ReputationRep:
    i voted NO.. because let the americans kill eachother..

Having guns is wrong, even with a license .. the American system is SO CORRUPT that it can't ensure the security of its own people..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)

Having guns is wrong, even with a license .. the American system is SO CORRUPT that it can't ensure the security of its own people..

Let the Americans kill each other? You want as many to die as possible simply because of where they were born? Racist much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    It's not a gun thing, it's a race thing. Run away and hide kiddies, truth about race is out on the prowl... :rolleyes:

White Americans are pretty much the same as White Europeans. African and Hispanic Americans are pretty much the same as Africans and Hispanics back home in Africa and S.A. It is the race-typical behaviour of Blacks and Browns which inflates gun crime figures in the U.S.http://www.amren.com/946issue/946issue.html

Should White America 'ban' Blacks and Hispanics? That would do more good.

The refusal to be honest about Black and Brown crime by 'nice-whites' is racist, no?

The reason for the differences may be something to do with evolutionary psychology, anyone?

Recommended - new print out recently or presently. Michael Levin is Professor of Philosophy at the City College of New York and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, a rare academic, honest about race, not coincidentally a libertarian.
    The kids in columbine were black? News to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    The kids in columbine were black? News to me.
    Aberration. Those are the crimes that make the news. The daily grind of Black and Brown crime doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Aberration. Those are the crimes that make the news. The daily grind of Black and Brown crime doesn't.
    I fully accept that there is higher gun crime per head in the black community than in the white, but what are the reasons for that - because the have darker skin? I dont think so.... too many other explanations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I fully accept that there is higher gun crime per head in the black community than in the white,

What an ASS.. so racist.. i reffered to them As americans not black and whites.. and yeah u r so stupid because u think that American is a race HAHA

ReputationRep:
    What an ASS.. so racist.. i reffered to them As americans not black and whites.. and yeah u r so stupid because u think that American is a race HAHA
    So you excuse you desire for the deaths of people on the basis of their nationality with pedant?

ReputationRep:
    What an ASS.. so racist..
    Racist how? Its a fact.

Seems you dont know what racism is..

ReputationRep:

Disgraceful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I fully accept that there is higher gun crime per head in the black community than in the white, but what are the reasons for that - because the have darker skin? I dont think so.... too many other explanations.
    It's for others to explain and correct the universal backwardness of the negroid - I suspect it's a long-haul job - I favour a peaceful parting of the ways for races whose behaviour and proclivities cause mutual unhappiness.

However as a friend who wishes 'nice-whites' (aracial saps) and their non-white friends well in their multi-ethnic crime ridden racist hell-holes, I would recommend ditching the failed programmes of indulgence, denial, and massive welfare payments for underperforming and antagonistic ethnic groups. Issues-Views and Thomas Sowell recommend the same - actually for the benefit of their brethren. Many Blacks are wonderful and clever.

[I said it's not my prob, but here's one factor I'm sure. I hinted at evolutionary psychology as a factor in the behaviour of a stone-age people when handed a gun. According to E.P. it may take many centuries of learned self-control for a people to move through the stages of weapon development and accompanying emotional restraint, that some races have been forced to adapt to almost overnight. A savage with a gun has the same blase attitude as if he were holding a stone. Possible? F**king certain in my view].

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.