Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am very surprised by the result of this poll.

Guns do nothing but kill, intimidate and cause pain. This 'balanced power' debate has merit, but it's like saying that all sportsmen should take steroids, so they're as good as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    I am very surprised by the result of this poll.

Guns do nothing but kill, intimidate and cause pain. This 'balanced power' debate has merit, but it's like saying that all sportsmen should take steroids, so they're as good as each other.
    You shouldn't be, the majority of people in this board tend to be right-wing and there are plenty of americans who have been bombarded with the idea that if you have guns then you are safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trier)
    There are so many careful checks, and a culture of respect that guns are almost impossible to use in criminal activity.
    Oh, taking a page from the George W. Bush handbook and throwing around "culture" like it's candy, are we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    You shouldn't be, the majority of people in this board tend to be right-wing and there are plenty of americans who have been bombarded with the idea that if you have guns then you are safe.
    Or, it could just be that Americans trust the average citizen more than they trust authority.

ReputationRep:
    Better yet, it could be because some of us are left-wing, liberal and oppose gun ownership but also have the basic level of intelligence to understand that it is far too late for a gun ban in the US and that the effects of such a ban would be disastrous for crime, order and the political process. In Britain, I never want to see the public carrying guns - in America, I know I will always have to. Alexdel, please don't tell me that I am right wing or brainwashed by the American media, I am anything but, I just have the intelligence to recognise when legal ideals do not match societal realities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
    Better yet, it could be because some of us are left-wing, liberal and oppose gun ownership but also have the basic level of intelligence to understand that it is far too late for a gun ban in the US and that the effects of such a ban would be disastrous for crime, order and the political process. In Britain, I never want to see the public carrying guns - in America, I know I will always have to. Alexdel, please don't tell me that I am right wing or brainwashed by the American media, I am anything but, I just have the intelligence to recognise when legal ideals do not match societal realities.
    And we all bow to your superior intelligence and realise how we the sub-normal beings cannot even begin to comprehend the extensive and amazing analysis of what MIGHT happen. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A stunning refutation. I retract my remarks utterly and unreservedly. You have debated me right off the table. It is now clear that in a country with more guns than people, where tens of milions of households have guns, a total ban would vastly reduce crime, put an end to gun ownership (especially by criminals) and be widely accepted by the population! I am left in no doubt of the error of my ways!

ReputationRep:
    A stunning refutation. I retract my remarks utterly and unreservedly. You have debated me right off the table. It is now clear that in a country with more guns than people, where tens of milions of households have guns, a total ban would vastly reduce crime, put an end to gun ownership (especially by criminals) and be widely accepted by the population! I am left in no doubt of the error of my ways!
    I stand by my comments and I accept your unreserved apologies. Next time I would like you to confer with me prior to expressing an erroneous conclusion and in the process avoiding the embarrasing process of believing in your own superiority.

, the majority of people in this board tend to be right-wing .
    When I joined this forum last Sept, I thought that about 75% of the people were lefties. I figured that we righties had converted a lot of people, but I didn't realize it was that many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    When I joined this forum last Sept, I thought that about 75% of the people were lefties. I figured that we righties had converted a lot of people, but I didn't realize it was that many.
    Especially since only ~22% of TSRers voted for the Conservatives.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    Especially since only ~22% of TSRers voted for the Conservatives.
    Guess we'll have to ask Alexdel where he got his stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Guess we'll have to ask Alexdel where he got his stats.
    The same place most mammals excrete from.

ReputationRep:
    Polls about Thatcher? I would say that the intelligent population of Debate & Discussion is predominantly right-wing.

ReputationRep:
    Polls about Thatcher? I would say that the intelligent population of Debate & Discussion is predominantly right-wing.
    Intelligence is the key word. Whose fault is it that most left-wingers here don't have any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Intelligence is the key word. Whose fault is it that most left-wingers here don't have any?
    Hah, I didn't say that the right-wing population of Debate & Discussion is predominantly intelligent!
    Anyway, I find ignorance rather than idiocy to be the most common ailment and gladly rank myself at times among the ignorant. You will get far more out of this forum if you use it as an exchange of information rather than a place in which to repeat your views at someone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed we can see the level of intelligence of our right-whingers here. Kissing each others backside must be how you lot communicate I guess...Keep up the good work, you will be exact copies of the tories in no time...

ReputationRep:
    You will get far more out of this forum if you use it as an exchange of information rather than a place in which to repeat your views at someone.
    I was under the impression that you provided an opinion on what MIGHT happen if a ban was imposed....until you provide some actual information on how you arrived to such a conclusion don't pretend that you actually contributed more than the next person, actually the complete opposite, making assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed we can see the level of intelligence of our right-whingers here. Kissing each others backside must be how you lot communicate I guess...Keep up the good work, you will be exact copies of the tories in no time...
    Tomorrow2Day definately isn't right wing, but he does have a point, which is why I started a new poll to test his theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Oh, taking a page from the George W. Bush handbook and throwing around "culture" like it's candy, are we?
    It's called being succinct. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    And we all bow to your superior intelligence and realise how we the sub-normal beings cannot even begin to comprehend the extensive and amazing analysis of what MIGHT happen. :rolleyes:
    I know exactly what would happen in the US if guns were outlawed. Criminals would have guns and law-abiding citizens wouldn't. Americans that live in rural areas 30 minutes away from a police station would be particularly vulnerable, having no ability to protect themselves and their loved ones from crime.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.