Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'Government plans to sell ID card details'

The Government is looking to sell personal details from ID cards to keep costs down, according to reports.

The Independent on Sunday claims Ministers are growing increasingly alarmed by the spiralling cost of the proposed system.

The paper said Ministers are already in talks with private firms to pass on personal details for an initial cost of £750 each.

A report by the London School of Economics this week is expected to put the price of ID cards at as much as £220 a card.

That is double Home Office estimates that the cost has already risen from £39 to £110.

And a poll by the Mail on Sunday suggests the Government will have problems if the cost of an ID card hits £100, with nine out of ten people saying they would reject the scheme at that price.
    This is from an ITN report on BT Yahoo news.

If this turns out to be true, a line has well and truly been crossed. What do others think?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4624735.stm

Denial from the Home Office.

ReputationRep:
    Shocking! :eek:
    I'd be surprised if it were true.
    If the cost is expected to reach £220, then why would they sell the info to companies at £750 each "to keep costs down"?

ReputationRep:
    Turns out it was newspaper spin and - I'm surprised at the Independent!
    I'm glad its not true, I'd be very annoyed with the government if it were.

ReputationRep:
    So what? Companies can buy our info from other sources anyway and currently do, to target us with leaflets etc, so i dont see the problem and this way its helping the state.

ReputationRep:
    omg. it is very freaky!!!!!it is completely against a law to sell details of people.it is against data protection act. freaking idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    So what? Companies can buy our info from other sources anyway and currently do, to target us with leaflets etc
    But don't you have to give them permission, by ticking a little box on a form or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    So what? Companies can buy our info from other sources anyway and currently do, to target us with leaflets etc, so i dont see the problem and this way its helping the state.
    But ID cards will hold more private details than shopping demographics?

And other forms of data collection (credit card applications, etc.) are not compulsory.

But anyway, it turns out the government will just be charging a fee to card companies, for instance, who want to verify transaction details etc. Which is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm the ID card is a means to access the private information, and not actually a container of the private information?

ReputationRep:
    Rediculous. ID cards are worth no more than £5. If they'd just make them compulsory... Who's gonna pay 200 bucks for an ID?!

We're getting new ones here in Belgium with a chip for electronic sigs. They'll still be the same size (small plastic ones that fit into your wallet) and it's no problem carrying them with you everywhere once you're 12.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.