Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

Can anybody here given me any advice about Queen Mary - what the uni is like , the area , the courses etc....

I am applying through clearing for a business course or finance and really want to be in London however my grades are not good enough for Kings or City as i got BBCC and i doubt they will take me in. :

Looking for other options .....

Any help would be great

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary is a nice university. The area has a pretty bad reputation but it is not that bad as long as you don't go around looking for trouble - there are definatly worse areas around. I would probably consider applying there myself if they offered accommodation to people who live within an hour travelling distance.

I can't really tell you much about the courses because a) I am not at uni yet b) I am not planning to do business or finance and c) I have not done much research about QM because I will not be applying there

ReputationRep:
    It is a good university. According to their entrance requirements, they want more than 300 points for thier Business type courses. http://www.qmul.ac.uk/courses/course...se_level=2#377
    http://www.qmul.ac.uk/courses/course...course_level=2(scroll down until you see the 'entry requirements' section)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah alot of people have said that the area is not very safe or nice so that kinda makes me worry......

ReputationRep:
    The area is not the nicest but safe enough if you don't "advertise" yourself i.e walk around on your own waving your phone about while listening to music with your "is this an iPod I see before me" white earphones and you can get into Central London really quickly either by buse or tube which is a plus

ReputationRep:
    Queen mary is situated in eastern/central london, and is only a short bus ride away from the city.

I went there with a friend who is going to do biomedicine there, and the uni is quite nice, with loads of shops situated within the campus (including a travel agent with prices that would help all students to become world-travellers by the end of the first year) . The was also an indoor pub, full of smoke, and a large fitness centre.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin goes to Qmul, and she really seems to enjoy it - the safety is not an issue, although apparently there are certain men there with, how should I put it?, wandering eyes. So, if you're uncomfortable with *obviously* being checked out every five seconds then that's something to think about.

However, the university is really good and has a good reputation for a lot of its courses, it's very cosmopolitan which is good, only a short while away from London too. Accommodation is excellent (depending on which one you go for); there is a new student village, with new blocks of apartments build just last year that have ensuite bathrooms, brand new kitchens etc etc. So it's definitely not going to be a complete hellhole you'll live in if you can pay for the extra perks at Mile End. Whitechapel I hear is worse area-wise than Mile End (which is actually quite nice with the exception of it being a little dangerous going out *alone* late at night). At Mile End and around there there are lots of good restaurants and places to go out; Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, the lot.

If there's anything else you want to know, I can put you in touch with my cousin (give you her email or give you her MSN Messenger address...). Just PM me if you want to.

Reema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ^*KAY*^)
    Yeah alot of people have said that the area is not very safe or nice so that kinda makes me worry......
    I a student at Barts and The London - spent the last year at the QMUL Mile End site. It's not the nicest of areas, but it's no more dodgy than most places in London... Go around flashing a nice mobile with ipod ear phones dangling round your neck, and you're going to get mugged...

If you're sensible there's no issue.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.