The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by y.yousef
like i'm gonna be going to bradford uni..and cant help thinking all the time, that i'm going to a **** uni..and its not worth 27grand :frown: so thats why i'm asking...

do u think a degree is worth getting in a low ranked uni?

Isn't Bradford pretty good for some subjects? Business I think and that Biomed thing where some go to Leeds to do med after a year? One of my mates is on a year in industry at AstraZeneca and, whilst the majority go to Redbrick RGs, there are a couple from Bradford.

If you enjoy studying the subject and think that the degree will allow you get a job (unavailable or virtually unobtainable to non graduates) you enjoy then yes it's more than worth it.

You may have to do a bit extra in terms of experience etc. to get into your chosen field compared to an Oxford grad, but ultimately jobs are as much about the person and what you can contribute to the firm ,so ECs, experience, personality etc. all come into play. This is different to the more mechanistic uni applications where they basically just go off grades.

Also, if you do well and want to go into a field which is snobbier about unis (IB or City law for example) you can do a postgrad at a more prestigious institution.

Ultimately it's your call though.
Reply 2361
Original post by North Irelandman
Sorry for the accusation, I just assumed. Really fed up with getting neg rep on these forums for expressing an opinion in discussions. On topic though, why do you disagree with league tables so much? I'm not their biggest fan, but I do feel they can help give some general idea.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes but so damn general as to be pointless. I mean there is probably a variability of 30-40 places in either direction sometimes between two different sets of rankings. People read way too much into things. Student surveys are severely flawed, measuring spending is a red herring, entry criteria is pretty meaningless, and most of the other gradings are completely subjective.
Original post by py0alb
Yes but so damn general as to be pointless. I mean there is probably a variability of 30-40 places in either direction sometimes between two different sets of rankings. People read way too much into things. Student surveys are severely flawed, measuring spending is a red herring, entry criteria is pretty meaningless, and most of the other gradings are completely subjective.

When I was looking over them to help make a decision I was just looking at Entry Standards, Dropout Rates, Good Honours but most importantly the Employability factor. Gives an idea of the students that go there and whether they end up in work or not. Student Satisfaction is useless, and spend is too open to error. I think the higher up the table the less conflicting the different league tables are, but there are more than enough differences in the rest of the ranks to damage the credibility.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by roh
Isn't Bradford pretty good for some subjects? Business I think and that Biomed thing where some go to Leeds to do med after a year? One of my mates is on a year in industry at AstraZeneca and, whilst the majority go to Redbrick RGs, there are a couple from Bradford.

If you enjoy studying the subject and think that the degree will allow you get a job (unavailable or virtually unobtainable to non graduates) you enjoy then yes it's more than worth it.

You may have to do a bit extra in terms of experience etc. to get into your chosen field compared to an Oxford grad, but ultimately jobs are as much about the person and what you can contribute to the firm ,so ECs, experience, personality etc. all come into play. This is different to the more mechanistic uni applications where they basically just go off grades.

Also, if you do well and want to go into a field which is snobbier about unis (IB or City law for example) you can do a postgrad at a more prestigious institution.

Ultimately it's your call though.

Hmm yeah, i Guess for the low sciency subjects, it is good. But i ain't doing science subject, i'm doing psy at uni. :redface:

pfft, luk u kno getting a job in england is like unpossible lol. The job prospects here are really low. But ofcourse the education here is top class compared to anywhere else..

LOL, you actually made me feel better you know! Thanks :h:
Nah i can't study far unfortunately :redface: but maybe i'll go to leeds, for masters or sumfin.
Reply 2364
Hmm yeah, i Guess for the low sciency subjects, it is good. But i ain't doing science subject, i'm doing psy at uni. :redface:

pfft, luk u kno getting a job in england is like unpossible lol. The job prospects here are really low. But ofcourse the education here is top class compared to anywhere else..

Nah i can't study far unfortunately :redface: but maybe i'll go to leeds, for masters or sumfin.

Job prospects aren't great but you can still get a decent job if you look hard enough and get a decent CV together (which contrary to the prevailing TSR belief does not mean just getting a degree from a RG uni). And, as you say, the worldwide renown of UK education means if you do want to export your degree it will carry a high value.

Haha it's ok, glad to be of use :smile:
Original post by swbp
This makes a fair point, as tonnes of ace universities aren't included in the RG yet, such as Surrey, Lancaster, Loughborough, and Sussex to add a few more to your list :smile:

Well it is meant to be for the most funded research intensive universities not just some kind of student employability union - these unis are good but not exactly in the premier league for research

if you talk like you write, you have absolutely no chance of getting a good job.
Reply 2367
Original post by a.partridge
Well it is meant to be for the most funded research intensive universities not just some kind of student employability union - these unis are good but not exactly in the premier league for research

Agreed, however Exeter is now in the RG and their research is equal to many of the universities I listed.
Reply 2369

And still laughable. Exeter and L'Boro better than Imperial and Bristol?
Cardiff, Manchester, Sheffield in 39th,40th and 41st???
It is horribly variable each year - I just cannot see it as very reliable.
Original post by Alexandra's Box
It is horribly variable each year - I just cannot see it as very reliable.

I agree with you!:biggrin::biggrin::smile:
Original post by moh.alt
Surprised at Imperial at 13.

Manchester at 41 too.

Seems like they get worse and worse in the league tables. I wonder what's the reason. Everyone knows Manchester clearly isn't the 41st best uni out there, it's much higher.

Surrey is surprisingly high. Heard good things about it though, definitely seems to be a uni on the up.
Mother of god..... what have they done
Reply 2376
Original post by LemonLizards
Manchester at 41 too.

Seems like they get worse and worse in the league tables. I wonder what's the reason. Everyone knows Manchester clearly isn't the 41st best uni out there, it's much higher.

Surrey is surprisingly high. Heard good things about it though, definitely seems to be a uni on the up.

I know Manchester should have been higher. It is defo one of the best Unis. I am surprised at this league table tbh. Some good Unis have dropped really low down!

Yeah Surrey is good i have heard a few things about it too.
Sheffield at 42nd ? Eh? Imperial 13th?
This ranking tables is f*****
i'm just surprised that the editors didn't decide to put the guardian newspaper itself at the top of the list.....
Reply 2379
Who didn't see this coming?

Latest

Trending

Trending