The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No tables can be perfect imo. Especially considering a large part of what people will post here is based upon opinions such as' x uni should be higher than y uni' .. which bears no real argument unless they have studied at both.. multiple times.
Had a quick glance down the top 20.. and it seems pretty accurate imo.

I#'m also glad Plymouth has risen 12 places ;D. Just adding to it's frequent rise up the tables including it's 'best new university' title. I like to know things like this to discourage elitists :P good good.
Oxford Brooks is the highest ranking new university at 46 out of 116. Not bad!
University of Hull is the lowest ranking traditional university down yet again, this time to 62.

not that it really means anything, its just interesting!
(edited 13 years ago)
Link is broken?
(edited 13 years ago)
This was posted on Monday but got merged into another thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30937181 from post 1207 onwards. :smile:
Reply 1285
Is London Met, South bank actually apart of the university of London?
Original post by SPMS
Is London Met, South bank actually apart of the university of London?

No
I never understood why Lancaster always does so well in these tables - it's not an issue for me, per se, but I always take league tables with a pinch of salt. There already is a general idea of what the 'good' unis are, and as far as I'm aware, Manchester is one of them - so it performing consistently a lot lower than Lancaster, for example, just proves that.
Original post by Stressworthy
I never understood why Lancaster always does so well in these tables - it's not an issue for me, per se, but I always take league tables with a pinch of salt.

Not always. It's only been in these last two years. So that's very, very recently considering the tables are close to 20 years old (Independent's is under 10).

The answer is obvious if you look at the table...
Original post by River85
Not always. It's only been in these last two years. So that's very, very recently considering the tables are close to 20 years old (Independent's is under 10).

The answer is obvious if you look at the table...

True, but still... I know a fair few who keep quoting this table as 'proof' of Lancaster somehow being superior, but I guess that's up to them. And fair enough if it's not been always... that would make more sense... just as long as I've been looking at them, then. :teehee:
Reply 1290
Original post by Stressworthy
I never understood why Lancaster always does so well in these tables - it's not an issue for me, per se, but I always take league tables with a pinch of salt. There already is a general idea of what the 'good' unis are, and as far as I'm aware, Manchester is one of them - so it performing consistently a lot lower than Lancaster, for example, just proves that.

And what is the basis for "a general idea of what the 'good' unis are"? What evidence, that is clearly superior to three major league tables, do you use to qualify this measurement? What flaws in Lancaster's quality can you identify that means it should be barred from doing well in the league tables? Are you saying that Lancaster can never improve and should always remain in the same bracket of quality since its inception?

People pick and choose what they like and dislike about league tables. No doubt you agree that Warwick, St Andrews, Imperial, LSE (and so forth) generally reflect their positions in the league tables.

It seems to me that you are basing your view on the outdated perspective of what general society considers to be a "good" university. The view that redbrick universities are permanently sealed in their quality in a monopolistic manner, due to their age and the fact that they are mainly based in well-known cities is a facile one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1291
Original post by I smell like maths
i know imperial is a very good university
i didn't say it was unlikely.... im saying that their maths department isn't as good as warwicks so it deserves fourth.

for cambridge you need STEP + interview
oxford have their own entrance exam + interview
warwick you need STEP
imperial you don't need anything, just A's in every module (easier than STEP i can assure you)... they have an interview, but it isn't nearly as intense as an oxbridge one... (a few mates of mine told me they only ask a few relatively basic questions)
therefore the quality of warwick candidates are better than imperials

actually its clear you don't know much about it.

this university table is well off anyway.... if you look further down the list it places nottingham above UCL for mathematics.. something to lol at. :smile:

warwick > imperial for mathematics IMO.

imperial is however better for all other departments.. (except law & finance)
imperial has gotten third (on a bullcrap league table) by name in this case

disagree all you like.. :rolleyes:

Not sure why you think UCL clearly better than Nottingham - look at RAE result (UCL pretty appalling - 12th for pure, okayish, but almost uncountably low for applied.)

Also NSS 3.9 is a bad result - closed doors?, cant be bothered talking to students? no response to complaints about crap courses?....

One might put it the other way round - UCL maths tariff points of 518 is a triumph of marketing over reality.
Original post by rscrsc
Not sure why you think UCL clearly better than Nottingham - look at RAE result (UCL pretty appalling - 12th for pure, okayish, but almost uncountably low for applied.)

Also NSS 3.9 is a bad result - closed doors?, cant be bothered talking to students? no response to complaints about crap courses?....

One might put it the other way round - UCL maths tariff points of 518 is a triumph of marketing over reality.

so you're saying you'd rather do maths at nottingham than UCL?
Reply 1293
LOL at Notts even having a smell at being better than UCL.

I can't begin to say what a monkey Uni Notss is.

Even NTU is better than them at some things
Original post by Txi
LOL at Notts even having a smell at being better than UCL.

I can't begin to say what a monkey Uni Notss is.

Even NTU is better than them at some things

I guess the whole 'ancient' image they try to project is working, don't you think?
Reply 1295
Original post by Focus08
I guess the whole 'ancient' image they try to project is working, don't you think?

Its a downright lie isn't it ?

Was UOL til 1958 ?

Do you know they try to portray themselves as some sort of international U ?

Like UCLA......?

Nott U at Ningpoo China, most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

LOL
Reply 1296
Original post by I smell like maths
so you're saying you'd rather do maths at nottingham than UCL?

For the mathematics, certainly yes.

One might think that London would make a difference to employability - but the difference is very small 76 vs 74 ..... i.e. UCL maths is not making use of that advantage.
Reply 1297
Original post by Txi
Its a downright lie isn't it ?

Was UOL til 1958 ?

Do you know they try to portray themselves as some sort of international U ?

Like UCLA......?

Nott U at Ningpoo China, most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

LOL

Interesting approach. I guess you would say the same about Warwick Maths. Not a university till the mid sixties ....

So we should order them by date of foundation (irrespective of subject).... ?
Original post by rscrsc
For the mathematics, certainly yes.

One might think that London would make a difference to employability - but the difference is very small 76 vs 74 ..... i.e. UCL maths is not making use of that advantage.

okay..
but its UCL man...
in my school people would prefer to do maths at kings than nottingham...
dw though... they're all good enough to get you that same interview for whatever job...
its all about the individual i guess... (i know, i went off on a tangent) :smile:
Reply 1299
Original post by rscrsc
Interesting approach. I guess you would say the same about Warwick Maths. Not a university till the mid sixties ....

So we should order them by date of foundation (irrespective of subject).... ?

That or date they got their royal charter.

In which case i am sure you will agree there is a world of difference between being a branch of UoL under the general UoL charter than being the University of Notts with its own unique charter.

Its a different university for all real purposes.

And Warwick - I am not aware if they are implying that they are an 'old' uni though it wouldn't surprise me.

Of course they were founded in the 60's - nothing wrong per se.

Though obviously, being good at Maths is nothing out of the world. I mean London Metro could go out hire a whole bunch of Math experts and the lead the field. If they have the money is another issue of course

people should make their own decisions
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending