Turn on thread page Beta

im plannin on gettin a different car. so whay do you think's best?

1: get a newish car, 53 or about that

or

2: get an older car

will be used mainly for goin to/from work and carrying work stuff if that makes any difference

ReputationRep:
    So it's just a car to get you from A to B?

I suppose it depends on what exactly you want the car to have. CD player? PAS? etc.

From what you've said, you may aswell get a slightly older car, like 2000-2002. You might save a fair amount but just make sure the mileage isn't too high.

(Original post by N9ne)
    So it's just a car to get you from A to B?

I suppose it depends on what exactly you want the car to have. CD player? PAS? etc.

From what you've said, you may aswell get a slightly older car, like 2000-2002. You might save a fair amount but just make sure the mileage isn't too high.

i need something big like an estate or summit. depending on what im doin i have loads of stuff i need to carry. i can be working anywhere from 10 miles to 35 miles from home. can easily put my own CD player in and PAS would be useful

ReputationRep:
    If you're after a bigger car, then get a Mondeo, Laguna or Vectra estate - should get a bargain on a 52/03/53 one because depreciation is so high - might pick one up for about £4000-5000 with 30000-40000 miles on?

ReputationRep:
    How much cashish you got to spend? Personally I'd go for second hand, so you dont get killed by the depreciation. Get a clio black, 16" alloys and sports kit. It'll look sweet, insurance is low for the 1.4 version and nippy.

ReputationRep:
    IMHO brand new Clios, Corsas and 206s are poor investments now as new versions will be appearing next year. If I had to go for a brand new small car, would look out for pre-registered new Focus or new shape VW Golf.

For a 2 year old model, as long as you go for the highest trim level you can find and get one with decent low mileage, you should be fine - some 2 year old cars will still have 1 year of manufacturers warranty remaining.

(Original post by Seamen Staines)
    How much cashish you got to spend? Personally I'd go for second hand, so you dont get killed by the depreciation. Get a clio black, 16" alloys and sports kit. It'll look sweet, insurance is low for the 1.4 version and nippy.
    1: bigger car

2: i aint a charv

as for cash, under 8K

thinkin of vectra estate. my dad has a vectra hatch, 53 and its ideal size

ReputationRep:
    Veccy estate is a good choice, don't know what second hand availability is like - you don't see many of the estates on the road really.

Might be pushing it, but you might even get a Signum for 8K second hand, really nice cars and quite a lot of space even though it's kind of just a big hatchback.

ReputationRep:
    If you care bout your image a lot, don't get a Vectra mate...

ReputationRep:
    The Vectra's big, as is the Citroen C5, but don't trust French reliability.

Go for the Mondeo - even Jeremy Clarkson says it's good!

ReputationRep:
    If you're going French, then I'd go for a Laguna - shocking depreciation so good bargains on 1 and 2 year old models. Lots of gadgets and stuff like keyless entry and tyre pressure monitoring. But French reliability :rolleyes:

Would go Mondeo or Vectra myself - think the best bargains will be the Veccy though

ReputationRep:
    i have a brand new KA - so cute! probably considered v girly tho, but i love mine.

ReputationRep:
    no no no no no....

don't get a vectra estate or a laguna estate.

Go for a mondeo, the mk3s are pretty decent cars and for £8k you'll get an 03 one with a 2l tdci under the hood (130 odd bhp and a LOT of torque).

ReputationRep:
    passat estate...my dads got a diesel 1..and its brilliant on fuel economy aswell as being a huge car

ReputationRep:
    you're 18 and thinkin of getting a vectra??? get something sporty

(Original post by se77en)
    you're 18 and thinkin of getting a vectra??? get something sporty
    i dont want something sporty. they look pathetic. esp with the spoiler

ReputationRep:
    ok well if you want to be old before your time........ then get a boring vectra or a mondeo. cars say a lot about their owners

cars say a lot about their owners
    yea, which is why i dont want a stupid car with load exhausts what piss every1 off etc etc

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the uncalled for rep -
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    ill get whateva i want. just because you like drivin round in a piece of **** with a spoiler in the hope youll take off (we all know you like speeding) added to the big fat noisy should be illegal exhaust doesnt mean that i want to. M-A
    I havent even got a car mate so none of that could possibly be true. You are a complete idiot. Have fun in your grandad-mobile

thanks for the uncalled for rep -

it was called for

and dont bother tryin 2 rep me. it wont do any good

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.