Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You are always reading about how universities are supposedly 'favouring' poorer students, or ones from ethnic minority backgrounds. What I was wondering is how can this be true? How do the Universities know your income or background? When I filled in my UCAS form on my parents employment background and ethnicity it said that this information will only be used privately by UCAS. Surely all the criticisms about university admissions must be groundless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakC)
    You are always reading about how universities are supposedly 'favouring' poorer students, or ones from ethnic minority backgrounds. What I was wondering is how can this be true? How do the Universities know your income or background? When I filled in my UCAS form on my parents employment background and ethnicity it said that this information will only be used privately by UCAS. Surely all the criticisms about university admissions must be groundless?
    They know your address and the schools you've attended. Surely that's enough?

ReputationRep:
    For income: Your school and area give a good indication
    Ethnic background: Your name? And possibly your area too

ReputationRep:
    If a University interviews most of its applicants they can probably find out a lot more information than they put on the UCAS form. However, I applied to 7 Universities (6 originally and 1 through Extra). I got 1 rejection and 6 offers and none of my choices gave me an interview but then again I didn't apply for a very competitive subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    For income: Your school and area give a good indication
    Ethnic background: Your name? And possibly your area too
    They can't see your name. All they have is your UCAS Number - otherwise what if a friend of the family was the admissions secretary? They could go "Ohhh look it's John, yeah I'll let him in"

Infact, I'm wondering whether they even see what school you went to. I was under the impression the only things they got to see were past grades/expected grades, your personal statement, and your tutor's statement.

Not massively sure on the last point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    They can't see your name. All they have is your UCAS Number - otherwise what if a friend of the family was the admissions secretary? They could go "Ohhh look it's John, yeah I'll let him in"
    Why doesn't 'John' just tell his family friend his UCAS number?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't aware that they didn't know your name but thinking about it, its obvious why they shouldn't. They do see what school you went to though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Why doesn't 'John' just tell his family friend his UCAS number?
    That's less likely to happen than someone just seeing your name though isn't it? John may be a friend of Fred the admissions secretary but if he asked Fred to let him in then Fred could be disappointed, saying that he would never do that.

So either John has to be VERY good friends with Fred, or he just has to know Fred if there were just names on, and not say anything, as Fred would just see his name and naturally would be biased (OK he wouldn't just say "Yes he's in!" but anyone would try to let someone who they knew in if they liked them)

Also....if Fred hated John, John wouldn't stand a chance (maybe)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    That's less likely to happen than someone just seeing your name though isn't it? John may be a friend of Fred the admissions secretary but if he asked Fred to let him in then Fred could be disappointed, saying that he would never do that.

So either John has to be VERY good friends with Fred, or he just has to know Fred if there were just names on, and not say anything, as Fred would just see his name and naturally would be biased (OK he wouldn't just say "Yes he's in!" but anyone would try to let someone who they knew in if they liked them)

Also....if Fred hated John, John wouldn't stand a chance (maybe)!
    Well reasoned :rolleyes: This sounds like one of those logic puzzles.
    However, when I went to Bristol they gave all visiting applicants a badge with their name and course on...

ReputationRep:
    They do see your name. And your school. Your reference even says what type of school you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Course they see your name, they send letters to you so they'd be in trouble if they didn't know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colly)
    Course they see your name, they send letters to you so they'd be in trouble if they didn't know it.
    The name is blanked out on the application form so that the people who are reading it to decide whether to accept you or not cannot be biased in any way.

Once decided, they give the UCAS numbers to the secretary people - who will have peoples names and addresses. Voila!

OK so I'm not massively sure of this, but it's what I've been told before! And if it's not like this, then I'd like it to change to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I'm sure they'll know most names anyway, for example in the reference it doesn't say "UCAS no. 12345 is an excellent student" it says "Joe is an excellent student." They hardly blank that out as well.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.