Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i love sarcasm.

does the canned laughter tell them when something is funny?

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm Is all I Have.. It gets me through.

British Sarcasm Is always the best, I mean we are always seen as a serious/dullert nation in comparison to that of america (Not something a Agree) So in such constraints I think its easier for us to pull off sarcasm in a way america could never.
    Its just a relfection of our great repression over time.. Obviously.

(Original post by Gwenyth!)
    That's also why so many British comedies work really well in Britain but are complete flops when Americans try to reinvent them for their own purposes. I believe the American version of 'the office' lasted about a month, if at that.
    there was their attempt at 'coupling' too i think. and various other ones.

ReputationRep:
    The American version of The Office has actually been recommissioned for a second series. And it is a generalisation to say their comedies are stupid. The Simpsons, Frasier, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthuisiasm are very sophisticated and often subtle (see how many obscure references The Simpsons can pack in the average episode, and how well it employs irony).

That said, I have a very very dry sense of humour, and when I stayed with a family in America it led to countless confusion where they would literally interpret everything I said. And I would have to explain I was being sarcastic after nearly everything I said (which highlighted to me what a sarcastic miserable git I was!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    quite true, and our comedies are worlds apart too. they can't do subtle. they just can't do it. if a comedy in america has subtle references, and 'clever' humour it invariably gets a small cult following and is cancelled (family guy for instance). our comedy is well appreciated by americna critics, but most the mainstream need you to really point out the joke in order to notice it.
    thats why i dont likje many american comedies. too obvious. and too much damned canned laughter!!!!
    are we too sarcy? perhaps, but its very britsh...
    I'm not by any means saying i dislike the sense of humour, i'm really asking whether its used too often, at the expense of seriousness at times

ReputationRep:
    Would you describe Frasier as sarcastic? Apparently Americans considered it to be a very British comedy programme.

ReputationRep:
    i never watched it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Would you describe Frasier as sarcastic? Apparently Americans considered it to be a very British comedy programme.
    No way can that be considered a very British comedy programme. What a slanderous comment to make.

ReputationRep:
    Porridge, now thats British

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Do we? Is there a climate in the UK, or at least England, of a fear of being "over-serious", of being humourless, or of being vulnerable to cynicism/irony? (This appears to irritate Americans at times, sometimes i think they're humourless, other times i think they have a point) Is it damaging or does it have any positive effects?
    I don't think you take it too far while within the UK, but outside of the UK overusage of this does not translate well.

Then you get mad at the "americans" for not getting it ...and think they don't have a sense of humor.

It is true that americans "say what they mean". The problem is, they expect the british to do the same thing (since they speak english). It's all downhill from there.

Honestly, how can you state that ameican comedy is awful...except for friends. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    YES.
    but being cold, cynical and sarcastic has its benefits. it makes the people more objective and the nation less vulnerable to being brainwashed and going to extremes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryjammy)
    The American version of The Office has actually been recommissioned for a second series. And it is a generalisation to say their comedies are stupid. The Simpsons, Frasier, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthuisiasm are very sophisticated and often subtle (see how many obscure references The Simpsons can pack in the average episode, and how well it employs irony).

That said, I have a very very dry sense of humour, and when I stayed with a family in America it led to countless confusion where they would literally interpret everything I said. And I would have to explain I was being sarcastic after nearly everything I said (which highlighted to me what a sarcastic miserable git I was!)
    Remember, America has 300 million people, just because the vast majority can't understand/appreciate good sarcasm/irony doesn't mean that there's a market for it. That's how The Simpsons, Frasier, Seinfield, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development (I don't think that airs in Britain at any decent time) were able to be made.

Besides the minority that supports these shows, one need only watch Blue Collar TV (an actual television show,) Baby Bob, or Seven Rules About Dating My Daughter, not to mention the Speed Channel (yes, 24 hours of NASCAR) or the Hallmark Channel (movies as deep as a greeting card) to confirm sterotypes of Americans being dull, stupid, and mindless.

ReputationRep:
    the simpsons is also funny on a non-sarcastic level as well.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lauren]i love sarcasm.QUOTE]

:dito: :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    I love Family Guy.

Aside from that, American comedy can go hang.

Straight-talkin' enough for ya?

ReputationRep:
    Yet the Americans found the British version of the offfice hilarious? That just points out that the two groups have close takes on comedy despite whats been said above.

ReputationRep:
    Our sense of sarcasm is great. Its part of what makes Britain a great country, along with tea and roast beef. If we didn't have it, then we would turn out like Germany.

That said, we could do with some German efficiency over here. The U-Bahn (German underground) doesn't smell of urine, the platforms are clean and the trains are actually on time! :eek: I never thought that a train that was on time was possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perkyDani)
    YES.
    but being cold, cynical and sarcastic has its benefits. it makes the people more objective and the nation less vulnerable to being brainwashed and going to extremes.
    Oh boy.

so becuase we have a different prevailing sense of humor in some TV programs, and talking to each other on a daily basis.....the british win every time for being "cold, cynical and sarcastic" ....and i'll assume thw yanks are
    " being brainwashed and going to extremes"

If you actually believe that, you might want to visit the US and see how well that theory works over here. Start with NYC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMiller5a)
    Remember, America has 300 million people, just because the vast majority can't understand/appreciate good sarcasm/irony doesn't mean that there's a market for it. That's how The Simpsons, Frasier, Seinfield, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development (I don't think that airs in Britain at any decent time) were able to be made.
    Arrested Development is a FANTASTIC show!

I think part of the problem with more intelligent comedies is that MOST Americans do not want to be ENGAGED by their television programs. They just want to take a break, get a few cheap laughs, and call it a night. People just don't want to be bothered with a program that requires some thought. As a result, the "smarter" comedies have poor viewership in America, and are less likely to be shown overseas, which perpetuates the idea that all American comedy is low-brow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    Yet the Americans found the British version of the offfice hilarious? That just points out that the two groups have close takes on comedy despite whats been said above.
    The Office had a cult following--it had no broad appeal, though. In most cases, Americans weren't interested in either show. For most people, the concept seemed like a knock off of Office Space.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.