Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Our sense of sarcasm is great. Its part of what makes Britain a great country, along with tea and roast beef. If we didn't have it, then we would turn out like Germany.

That said, we could do with some German efficiency over here. The U-Bahn (German underground) doesn't smell of urine, the platforms are clean and the trains are actually on time! :eek: I never thought that a train that was on time was possible!
    Japans trains are on time because if they aren't the train drivers pay gets docked! That would be a good way to get all public transport on time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    Japans trains are on time because if they aren't the train drivers pay gets docked! That would be a good way to get all public transport on time!!
    It could also lead to some reckless behavior and corner-cutting by the drivers, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Arrested Development is a FANTASTIC show!

I think part of the problem with more intelligent comedies is that MOST Americans do not want to be ENGAGED by their television programs. They just want to take a break, get a few cheap laughs, and call it a night. People just don't want to be bothered with a program that requires some thought. As a result, the "smarter" comedies have poor viewership in America, and are less likely to be shown overseas, which perpetuates the idea that all American comedy is low-brow.
    I remembered when they cancelled Keen Eddie :eek:

Great , underated show. Fox cancelled it after 3 episodes and Bravo picked it up. But alas, only a season... I was hoping it would last at least 3 years.

I never understood why people thought "Friends" was so great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    I never understood why people thought "Friends" was so great.
    :ditto:

Very overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    That said, we could do with some German efficiency over here. The U-Bahn (German underground) doesn't smell of urine, the platforms are clean and the trains are actually on time! :eek: I never thought that a train that was on time was possible!
    The Japanese rock when it comes to train punctuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perkyDani)
    YES.
    but being cold, cynical and sarcastic has its benefits. it makes the people more objective and the nation less vulnerable to being brainwashed and going to extremes.
    Why link cynicism to being objective?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.