Turn on thread page Beta

ocr sociology social stratification and research methods! watch

ReputationRep:
    hey so whos taking these papers on wednesday!? Hows the revision going for it mine is going slowly!! lol there is too much info 2 cram! I was wondering if any1 knew what was came up in january cos my teacher told me what it was but i forgot. He has predicted class and poverty to come up on wednesday and i really hope hes right! he got it exactly correct for the power and control paper so hopefully he is. just wondered what every1 elses thougts were on what was gonna come up and if any1s teacher has told them differently?
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    my teacher predicted poverty to come up as well, just to let you know.

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers i hope it does then i kno lots bout that section!

ReputationRep:
    same, my teacher corretly predicted the crime and deviance, and thinks Poverty and Class will come up, and class im revising as it pritty much covers everything, so hopefuly can brag if needs be

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my teacher predicted anything for this paper or maybe she did and I missed it.

My teacher was wrong for Power and control - she said disability would come up, or age - but I have a feeling social class would come up and it did. This also happened in my psychology paper where I thought Psychology of the Testimony would come up, and again, it did. This paper, though, I have no idea what's going to come up - I think I'm just going to go with what your teacher said and hope for the best. I'm doing the intensive course, so I still remember all the stuff from AS which I could possible use if gender came up or something, but other than that I have to get on with revision!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing AQA and know what might come up? My teacher thinks ethnicity will come up.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any essays on the social stratification topic?The way the questions a phrased seems really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    No, sorry, I haven't - how are the questions phrased? I would be interested to know.

ReputationRep:
    I've lost my statement of entry. Could someone please tell me the times for these exams on wednesday? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The two I am doing are in the morning on wednesday. That is paper 2537 which is the research skills paper and paper 2539 whil is the social inequality and difference paper. They are both 1 and 1/2 hours long.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Those are the ones I'm taking - units 2537 and 2593. Is there a standard time to start throughtout the UK (all of mine started at nine thirty in the morning) or does it vary from college to college? If it is standard, does it start at nine-thirty? Thanks!

How is everyone's last minute revision going by the way? I've had a look on the OCR website at old papers and am going through my revision book. The paper seems to have structure, which is good because it makes it easier to prepare for. At the minute, I'm learning the theories of social class inequalities, which seem easy enough. I don't think I'm going to do that much revision with research because I don't really have time. Hopefully, I can blag it.

Oh, one more thing before I go - sorry for pestering! - but does anyone know what mark this exam is out of? On the OCR paper it says out of 90, but in my revision guide it says that the OCR board mark this paper out of 120. I'm confused...

Anyway, back to revision...

ReputationRep:
    hey my exams start at 9:30 in the morning as well i think the time they start is either 9 or 9.30 everywhere in the uk.
    For the social and ineuqlaity its out of 120ums points but i think the actually paper is out of 90 and they then put up the marks accordingly and the research methods is out of 90ums points.
    My revision is going a bit crap really ive revised research methods cos thats the easiest just revise unstructured and structured interviews cos there is not very likely to be a question where u cant use either of them!

I'm finding revision on class really diffucult for example what wud u write for this question!?
    d) Using you wider sociological knowledge outline the evidence that working class males are socially disadvantged.

cos i know u need 2 use statistics 2 bak up ur answer but i cant actually think of any that i wud know to use!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey - thanks for replying so soon! It starts at nine-thirty according to my boyfriend, who, just as I clicked submit, found his exam timetable (typical!), so I'm glad that's all sorted.

Now you've pointed out the UMS marks, it all makes sense now! So with social inequalities and differences out of 120 (UMS) and research out of 90 (UMS), too, that would make the power and control question out of 90 as well, which makes sense as the question was out of 60 raw mark. Woohoo -all makes sense now! Thanks!

Like I said, I'm not going to bother revising for the research that much because when you think about it, it's really all very repetitive and simple in my opinion, but I will glance over it later in bed - and interviewers will be something I will definitely look up as well as social surveys/questionnaires, because you can almost apply them to anything.

As for your question, I don't think something like that would come up. what I mean is, when they ask a question I think it only deal with one topic (Gender, Ethnicity and Social Class) and the question: 'Using you wider sociological knowledge outline the evidence that working class males are socially disadvantaged.' covers both gender and social class (did your teacher give you this question or something, or is it a passed paper question?). But I could be wrong, I'm not sure. Maybe if a question like this did come up you could talk about crime and how working-class men are subject to stereotypes and this makes them socially disadvantaged because they are singled-out or something. To be honest, if that question came up, I wouldn't do it because I know nothing about crime and wouldn't be able to answer - thank god there are two questions!

ReputationRep:
    hehe thanks for the advice that was from a past paper tho jun 04 so they probs wudnt ask that again anyway it just worries me wen i find questions i cant answer! lol good luck 2moro!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ek - lets hope that another question like that doesn't come up again or else I'm screwed. Do you know what other sorts of questions came up last year or in January? It may help in predicted areas that may come up this year....or not >_<

Anyway, thanks for you help! Good luck with exams and revision! (I know I'm having more trouble with the latter - I'm finding anything to not do it >_< )

ReputationRep:
    In jan i think it was ethnicity and workplace but i dont hav the questions. My teacher predicted class and poverty for this time round. I'm actually hoping its gender tho cos i kno that best for some strange reason lol hopefully it will b a choice between poverty and gender cos i will def b able 2 do one of those questions.

I only hav one of the questions from june which is that one on class the e) question on that paper was:

Outline and assess sociological explanations of the chages takin place in the working class in the contemporary UK.

this question is equally as hard!!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    i think that this paper is going to be hard, but i've lost energy to revise, but ive made lots of mind maps, and also going to revise class bits from the crime and deviance paper just incase (its synoptic, so its bits of everything of ther corse) and also, i can break the trend as at my college my exam is in the afternoon

ReputationRep:
    That's a hard one. If something like that came up, I would fail really badly. Hopefully, though, it won't come up again, so I don't think I'm going to revise that section! I think I'm going to revise social class - like all the theories, changes in class structure of the middle class and upper class, and a few statistics - and gender. Then maybe the problems with researching these areas because I'm sure question 'c' always deals with research. Question A and B should be quite easy as long as you refer to the text I guess. Don't suppose you know if you have to mention explanations to question A and B as well, do you? I mean, it's only 6 marks so it can't require that much information, can it?

Hmm. Oh, and one more thing! (Sorry!) But what do you mean by poverty in this exam? I don’t think I remember specifically dealing with a topic on poverty. >_< Do you mean in relation to social class or something? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timtoo)
    i think that this paper is going to be hard, but i've lost energy to revise, but ive made lots of mind maps, and also going to revise class bits from the crime and deviance paper just incase (its synoptic, so its bits of everything of ther corse) and also, i can break the trend as at my college my exam is in the afternoon
    :eek: Lucky you! I could really do with the morning to go over my revision notes or just sleep! I haven't slept properly in days now because I've been cramming for other exams, and I can't barely think straight. Tomorrow is going to be hard - at first glance I thought it would be quite simple, but now I've realised that it's too broad to cram everything in on one day so I'm simply chosing topics i think may come up and hoping for the best.

I'm going to revise health inequalities I think for question 'd', mainly because i don't know anything about crime (wasn't there :rolleyes: ) and I still remember some of it. I may look at crime inequalities if I have time, but time is running out and I've barely done anything!

How are you guys making yourselves revise? I'm all burned out and really, really just can't. I read the sentence, but none of it is going in.

ReputationRep:
    i can't do any more revision its sooo boring! lol i just want to get the stupid thing over with so i can go out an party!
    good luck everyone!
    xx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.