Turn on thread page Beta

G8 Demo in Scotland watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    For making the argument that comp students are less able, in my opinion it is perfectly valid, given GCSE results.
    What about to better teaching quality you tend to find in private because the few can AFFORD it? Based on average GCSE grades yes comp are 'less able' but you have to take into account the class sizes and that private schools only take on people who will pass usually B+. If the school thinks that you will fail (as in being 'less able') then they generally do not take you on.

More issues should be taken into consideration when making points like that.

Plus being a tory you're all for privatisation arent you??

ReputationRep:
    What about to better teaching quality you tend to find in private because the few can AFFORD it? Based on average GCSE grades yes comp are 'less able' but you have to take into account the class sizes and that private schools only take on people who will pass usually B+. If the school thinks that you will fail (as in being 'less able') then they generally do not take you on.

More issues should be taken into consideration when making points like that.

Plus being a tory you're all for privatisation arent you??[/QUOTE]

Of course the amount of money plays a part, But culture is perhaps more important. A culture of success and hope is needed in comps. In private schools students are greatly encouraged. In ctc's, state schools, the average GCSE succes rate is 82%, way above the average. These schools receive private funding from big business. These businesses bring innovation and radical new ideas which is needed after years of decay and laziness thanks to LEASs. Businesses know about success, LEAs don.t If business sponser a school and fails they get a bad rep. If the schools is an LEA fail, the pen pushers still get paid. They have no incetive to channel money directly into education, they end up wasting it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't give me that. What about the recent new scheme 'invented' by the government? Academies? Well my school is going to join with another local school to form a new academy. This means that a very rich guy comes along, gives £2mil and he gets to own the school for the year. He can have the school teach what he likes and doesnt have to stick to the curiculem (sp?). Basically the guy that is coming to my school is a strict catholic, meaning he plans to teach evoloution as an unproven scientific theory, and teach creationism as a fact.

I'm sorry but whatever your religious beliefs, evoloution has alot of evidence pointing towards it and yes it may not be a known absoloute definite fact at the moment, it is the strongest case. What about non-christian kids? My school is about 50% asian and so therefore their religion will teach them their verison of creation, yet they are taught the scientific one in school.

Religious teaching as fact has no place in school. It is important for pupils to be taught about religious points of views but not as fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_4001)
    Oh don't give me that. What about the recent new scheme 'invented' by the government? Academies? Well my school is going to join with another local school to form a new academy. This means that a very rich guy comes along, gives £2mil and he gets to own the school for the year. He can have the school teach what he likes and doesnt have to stick to the curiculem (sp?). Basically the guy that is coming to my school is a strict catholic, meaning he plans to teach evoloution as an unproven scientific theory, and teach creationism as a fact.

I'm sorry but whatever your religious beliefs, evoloution has alot of evidence pointing towards it and yes it may not be a known absoloute definite fact at the moment, it is the strongest case. What about non-christian kids? My school is about 50% asian and so therefore their religion will teach them their verison of creation, yet they are taught the scientific one in school.

Religious teaching as fact has no place in school. It is important for pupils to be taught about religious points of views but not as fact.

Are you referring to Sir Peter Vardy? If so he is not a strict Catholic, in fact he would be insulted as he is a baptist!! Schhols with a strong relgious ethos do very well, the one Vardy sponsers achieves 95-99% 5 A*-C grades year after year, in an area with great deprivation. The other one he sponsors In Middlesborugh has doubled its GCSE performance in one year! Creationism is just another theory, like evolution. Whats wrong with giving both sides of the coin and saying you choose? These schools teach both, not just one. The purpose of a school is to teach you how to think, this is done by giving other views as you can challenge your own views onyl when you know others. True many are none- Chrisitan, but what about those who are communist and have to read Animal Farm? To me is just some more knowledge. And if someone is pouring millions into a school and bring fresh radical ideas than they can talk about the bible if they want. Your just plain wrong to say it will be taught as a fact, it will be taught as a theory.

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to Sir Peter Vardy? If so he is not a strict Catholic, in fact he would be insulted as he is a baptist!! Schhols with a strong relgious ethos do very well, the one Vardy sponsers achieves 95-99% 5 A*-C grades year after year, in an area with great deprivation. The other one he sponsors In Middlesborugh has doubled its GCSE performance in one year! Creationism is just another theory, like evolution. Whats wrong with giving both sides of the coin and saying you choose? These schools teach both, not just one. The purpose of a school is to teach you how to think, this is done by giving other views as you can challenge your own views onyl when you know others. True many are none- Chrisitan, but what about those who are communist and have to read Animal Farm? To me is just some more knowledge. And if someone is pouring millions into a school and bring fresh radical ideas than they can talk about the bible if they want. Your just plain wrong to say it will be taught as a fact, it will be taught as a theory.

Actually no, here YOU are wrong. The creation is to be taught as fact. I do not know the name of the rich capitalist buying my school. If it is this Sir Vardy and he is a baptist not a catholic then i appologise i made a mistake. I should have said he is a strict christian.

'And if someone is pouring millions into a school and bring fresh radical ideas than they can talk about the bible if they want.'

No, this would be completely wrong. Pupils should taught very similarly around the country, with this academy school will only teach what their 'owner' wants them to. This 'if he has enough money' attitude is completely wrong. Privatisation of any public service is wrong, especially our education. Look at what has been done to our higher education. I mean by introducing fees it has cut off access to many not so well off people. So this is slightly different, it still falls into the same catagory.

Quite frankly, you are rather ignorant towards the people who attend these schools and their families. I am lucky, the change doesnt happen until a year or two after i will leave 6th form so i wont be affected, but i'm still protesting against it and i'm going to do all i can, with my party, to stop it. It is absoloutly disgracefull.

Now if you will excuse me i have to go catch a coach up to scotland where i'll be protesting all week.

Leave a message and i'll reply probably thursday or friday.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and heres an interesting article.

http://www.evowiki.org/wiki.phtml?ti...rdy_Foundation

would love to see what you thought of that :|

ReputationRep:
    Actually no, here YOU are wrong. The creation is to be taught as fact.
    No, it is to be taught alongside evolution. Your just wrong. It will be taught as a theory.

I do not know the name of the rich capitalist buying my school. If it is this Sir Vardy and he is a baptist not a catholic then i appologise i made a mistake. I should have said he is a strict christian.
    Listen if you don't know the name of the sponsor, your obviously very ill informed about this debate, thus expalining why your wrong about the creationsim being taught as a fact. Get educated about the issue than come back to me.

No, this would be completely wrong. Pupils should taught very similarly around the country, with this academy school will only teach what their 'owner' wants them to. This 'if he has enough money' attitude is completely wrong. Privatisation of any public service is wrong, especially our education. Look at what has been done to our higher education. I mean by introducing fees it has cut off access to many not so well off people. So this is slightly different, it still falls into the same catagory.
    No, these are moronic ignorant comments that no one of importance pays any attention to and quite right. Why is this attitude wrong? Students are getting very high qualty education and going on to top unversities. YOU want to stop them and drag them down to your level. You would no doubt prefer for all to fail than for some to succeed and others to fail. This is certainly the effect of your views. Why do you want to hold people back? hat does it matter what's happening somewhere else as long as all are improving. Also your wrong about higher education more and more are applying and those from the poorest backgrounds get grants, for example if your family earn less than 20,000 a year you get a 3000 grant every year, no fee's and the full 5000 loan. Get informed.

Quite frankly, you are rather ignorant towards the people who attend these schools and their families. I am lucky, the change doesnt happen until a year or two after i will leave 6th form so i wont be affected, but i'm still protesting against it and i'm going to do all i can, with my party, to stop it. It is absoloutly disgracefull.

No Your the ignorant one. I know people who go to Vardy's schools and they tell me of the superb things it has doen for them. Your are holding people back and for that your actions are disgraceful. These schools lead to success, just look at the figures for CTCs - 82% success, compared to normal schools getting in the 50 per cent category. Your just spouting emotional nonsence, as if i can't judge them because i did not go to one and look at you, you don;t go to one as you have admitted.

Now if you will excuse me i have to go catch a coach up to scotland where i'll be protesting all week.
    Hopefull the police will crack a few skulls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_4001)
    Oh and heres an interesting article.

http://www.evowiki.org/wiki.phtml?ti...rdy_Foundation

would love to see what you thought of that :|
    Yes i do know of this school after all this was the school i was referring to when i first mentioned Vardy. Remember? The one which gets 95-99% every year but take two thirds from deprived backgrounds. Thats called success. Just because others are succedding, don;t get jealous and try to take away their chances, work hard and perhaps you can be successful too. Though i have my doubts. No where in that article does it say evolution is not taught in fact the school gets above average GCSE science results.

Here are some more facts. Get informed or don't try and contribute.
    http://www.emmanuel-schools.org.uk/E...ationFacts.htm

ReputationRep:
    You obvioulsy don't know what a scientific theory is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    You obvioulsy don't know what a scientific theory is.

You obviously don't know the purpose of education: to make people think. That is done by giving both sides of an argument. Just because something is called scientific does not mean it in infalliable as anyone with half or more of a brain knows

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.