Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is just a general wonderment - why does the earth actually have a magnetic field?

(Original post by Eddie K)
    This is just a general wonderment - why does the earth actually have a magnetic field?

God doesnt want us to fly :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie K)
    Something to do with the molten iron in the core?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    God doesnt want us to fly :mad:

Holding us down with all that iron in our haemoglobin.....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is caused by convection currents leading to electrical currents in the molted core... I dont actually know

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone actually know the answer to this - or did scientists just go... orrrrh.... there must be one

ReputationRep:
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...&curtab=2222_1
    is ur answer

ReputationRep:
    its to protect us from harmfull ionising particles in the black of space. this was a key feature , of the earth. if we didnt have a a magnetic field life wouldnt exist. since the earh would be too harsh of an environment.
    i think its aused by the movement of the iron core. mind u they say the it gona change polarity soon. soo watch out. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYS)
    its to protect us from harmfull ionising particles in the black of space. this was a key feature , of the earth. if we didnt have a a magnetic field life wouldnt exist. since the earh would be too harsh of an environment.
    i think its aused by the movement of the iron core. mind u they say the it gona change polarity soon. soo watch out. lol
    Soon? What proof do you have? That we are past the half life of the polarity life? Anyone who knows anything about continious stats would know that we are as likely for the polarity to switch now as it was 10000 years ago. Besides, do you even know what sort of tim scale "soon" means in geology? Even if it starts today, I'm not sure if it will even affect my lifetime.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.