Turn on thread page Beta

An apt joke to take your minds of synoptic revision... watch

ReputationRep:
    An engineer, physicist and mathematician were put in three separate, windowless rooms all containing the following items: a table, a chair and an unopened tin of baked beans. Before going in, they were given the task of simply opening the tin without any other equipment. The winner would be the first out of the room with the open tin.

After five minutes, the engineer walked triumphantly out of the room carrying the open tin. He was asked how he'd done it and he replied, "well, i simply put the tin under a table leg and used the chair legs as a lever, slowly weakening the metal until it eventually gave and opened."

After another five minutes, the physicist walked out of the room and was disappointed to see he'd lost. On being asked how he'd opened the tin he replied, "I knew that if i applied enough torque to one end of the tin it would eventually reach it's yield point and split, unable to withstand the stress applied. I created a simple pincer using the chair and edge of the table and carried out my plan until the tin opened, as predicted".

Another five minutes went...

Then another five...

Eventually a full half an hour had gone by and the mathematician still had not come out of the room. Growing concerned, the engineer and physicist knocked on the door and walked in, aghast to see the mathematician blue in the face, staring intently at the unopened can on the table and muttering to himself... "assume the can is open, assume the can is open"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie K)
    An engineer, physicist and mathematician were put in three separate, windowless rooms all containing the following items: a table, a chair and an unopened tin of baked beans. Before going in, they were given the task of simply opening the tin without any other equipment. The winner would be the first out of the room with the open tin.
    i dont get it
    am i abit thick or has the synoptic revision got to my head . are you too late in saving my brain from this synoptic brain decay :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I dont get it either?
    Are you sure didnt forget to add the punchline?

ReputationRep:
    thx eddie k now we have the synoptic and your "joke" to worry about...

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say the same, SinghFello.

ReputationRep:
    or is this a riddle of how to open the tin - WHICH ISNT WHAT I NEED RIGHT NOW
    this is not relaxin me but making me mad - why cant i understand it :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    The Maths person is trying to open the tin using mathematical induction I think. That's the point of the joke and I suppose the punchline :-)

ReputationRep:
    Assume Can is open, Assume Can is open for all values of the can, and for small values of the can lol.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Here's a simpler joke, which I have stolen from the maths forum.

Jesus was standing talking to a crowd, and he said "x² + 6x - 9"!!!

" x squared plus six x minus nine?" said a member of the crowd. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't worry about it." said another. "It's just another one of his parabolas."

ReputationRep:
    I found it amusing, first time i read such jokes :P TY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumitk87)
    or is this a riddle of how to open the tin - WHICH ISNT WHAT I NEED RIGHT NOW
    this is not relaxin me but making me mad - why cant i understand it :banghead:
    if this comes up in the paper tomorrow someone is going to be in trouble!!!

(Original post by Eddie K)

After five minutes, the engineer walked triumphantly out of the room carrying the open tin. He was asked how he'd done it and he replied, "well, i simply put the tin under a table leg and used the chair legs as a lever, slowly weakening the metal until it eventually gave and opened."

After another five minutes, the physicist walked out of the room and was disappointed to see he'd lost. On being asked how he'd opened the tin he replied, "I knew that if i applied enough torque to one end of the tin it would eventually reach it's yield point and split, unable to withstand the stress applied. I created a simple pincer using the chair and edge of the table and carried out my plan until the tin opened, as predicted".

Another five minutes went...

Then another five...

Eventually a full half an hour had gone by and the mathematician still had not come out of the room. Growing concerned, the engineer and physicist knocked on the door and walked in, aghast to see the mathematician blue in the face, staring intently at the unopened can on the table and muttering to himself... "assume the can is open, assume the can is open"
    lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.