Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Crap absolute rubbish !

Teachers lookin to put down ur cwk and predicted grades !

A shame i ever had to go to it !

ReputationRep:
    it's rubbish because our year got 50%-i think A*-C at gcse. It looks run down, our school colours are grey and orange :cool:

the guy who wrote vicar of dibley was a teacher at my school, an ITV presenter went here too, i think.

I'd have gone to St Helens and St Kats private school down the road from mine.

ReputationRep:
    It seems some of you like to go to a private school instead of a comprehensive. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebby)
    Ok.

-Why is your school so fantastic/rubbish/ok

-Which famous people have gone to your school/are going to your school/should have gone to your school.

-Where would you have liked to have gone to school
    my school is great - you are treated like an adult, everyone knows you, the school uniform isnt dorky - its black and emerald green and the teachers are always willing to help

no famous people

i wanted to go to my school so there :p: haha xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    It seems some of you like to go to a private school instead of a comprehensive. :eek:
    Its the general concensus yes !

Not too shocking for yu was it ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Clive Thomson (Rentokil); Peter Job (Reuters); Julian Richer (Richer Sounds); Lord (Clyde) Hewlett and Lord (Patrick) Jenkin (politicians); Sir Michael Redgrave, Trevor Howard, John Cleese, John Houseman and Simon Russell Beale (actors); Sir David Willcocks and Joseph Cooper (music); Mark Tully, David Bonavia, John Inverdale and Stephen Pile (media); James Kirtley (cricket).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete77)
    Its the general concensus yes !

Not too shocking for yu was it ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I put that shocking face for random purposes, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I do think comprehensives teach one a lot more about the skills you will actually need in life, rather than smothering a child in arrogance and obselete tradition.
    I actually think that's quite arrogant. Why does everyone need to learn the same skills? If you call mixing with people who prefer to smoke, take drugs and drink excessively acquiring 'life skills' then leave me out of it.
    Also, what's wrong with tradition? I think we need more tradition in this country and certainly not the tradition that everyone should go and get totally out of their head with drink every week

Just for the record, I've been state educated all my life but if I were to have children i'd consider sending them to a private or grammar school. Is it honestly advantageous to be in an enviroment where 19% of candidates get 5 A*-Cs and the average A-Level score is the equivelant of 3 E grades?

ReputationRep:
    I always find that the only way to decide whether a school is good or not is whether the common room has got a foozeball table

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I actually think that's quite arrogant. Why does everyone need to learn the same skills? If you call mixing with people who prefer to smoke, take drugs and drink excessively acquiring 'life skills' then leave me out of it.
    Also, what's wrong with tradition? I think we need more tradition in this country and certainly not the tradition that everyone should go and get totally out of their head with drink every week

Just for the record, I've been state educated all my life but if I were to have children i'd consider sending them to a private or grammar school. Is it honestly advantageous to be in an enviroment where 19% of candidates get 5 A*-Cs and the average A-Level score is the equivelant of 3 E grades?
    I agree that obviously it is advantage when most your class-mates are barely scraping Cs at GCSE and Es at A level but that doesn't mean that it is impossible to get top grades, infact it is still very much achievable.

One of the reasons why I would probably favour state schools is the fact that I have never been mugged in my life despite numurous attempts whereas I know quite a few people from selective schools or privates whom never escape with all thier belongings/dignity intact. I believe this is because I spent five years mixing with people in a similar mould to the aforementioned muggers whom roam around London. In other words, I feel that I'm better prepared for such situations.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah and I'd say that my school was 'ok/rubbish' generally poor results but a fair few people got outstanding ones which sortof drags it up - my college is probably 'ok' A level average is around CDD I think, which is probably about the same as the national average.

Famous people include Audio Bullys, Hundred Reasons (music) and Ali B (Radio One DJ).

ReputationRep:

I agree, I think saying state schools making you better off socially is rubbish because private schools can actually concentrate on building their students esteem and making them feel part of something. Alot of state school kids go waway from school feeling degraded and worthless, and with 4 D's ect. I've been in state school my education, but it is a good state school, it has its issues just like everywhere else, but I have come to recognise how peoples schooling can affect the whole way they think about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebby)
    Ok.

-Which famous people have gone to your school/are going to your school/should have gone to your school.

I don't go to school, I go to a college, and I really can't say it's fantastic. It's better than school, but after two years it gets pretty tedious. The results for A Levels are good though.

Famous people that I know of that went to my college are Jessica and Kevin from Liberty X and Aimee (I think) who was in Clea (you know the other Girls Aloud).

I would love to have gone to some really posh school or something just to see what it's like, and be really bright and come out with all A's lol.

ReputationRep:
    Well my school is Bishop Wordsworth's School (for boys), and it isn't too bad. The teachers are excellent and seem to put a lot of extra effort in.

Old boys include Richard Hill (England Rugby), Marcus Olsen (England Rugby), Ralph Fiennes (actor), another Richard Hill (England rugby), Chris Moon (Land mines campaigner who lost a leg and an arm) and Colin Sharman (chairman of KPMG international). Also William Golding taught at our school for a number of years and based his book 'The Lord of the Flies' on boys from the school.

I like my school, although girls would be a bonus!

ReputationRep:
    I've added a poll now as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebby)
    Ok.

was rubbish but fun. especially making sum teachers cry

nobody famous but one of the teachers acted like she wa madonna!

i would have liked to NOT have gone to school, but cant have everythin :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    -Where would you have liked to have gone to school[/QUOTE]

- Because its my school - all my mates r there so its good

- Duncan from Blue went to our school!

- I would have liked to have gone to Knighton House and Bryanston School - Loadsa famous people went there Princesses and Sons of Dukes and Actors nd loadsa people tht i cant remember!

ReputationRep:
    Also, what's wrong with tradition? I think we need more tradition in this country and certainly not the tradition that everyone should go and get totally out of their head with drink every week?
    :mad: If you go to a state school yourself, do you honestly believe this ridiculous stereotype that everyone smokes, drinks and takes drugs? It would be wrong to say that all private school pupils go out for a jaunt in Daddy's helicopter at the weekends, so why it is acceptable to generalise about those from state schools?

In some ways, yes, because it teaches you the values of hard work, self-reliance and ambition. Not to mention the fact that being around people from all different backgrounds and abilities teaches you tolerance.

My school is alright. In my opinion you get out school what you make the effort to get out of it. Yes my school on paper it the best state school in the area and lots of people get 10 As and A*s but at the same time a good number drop out or get bad grades. Some people only do two Alevels and are predicted Es whilst others will get 5 As. That is because some people are prepared to work and others aren't. It really doesn't matter to an extent where you go as I have friends at what some would describe as 'bad' schools who will get As at A level and will actually go as far as saying that they like their school. Personally I love my school.

I havn't got a clue if anyone famous went to my school. To be honest I don't really care as who from Eastenders went there doesn't make a difference to my education.

I wouldn't change where I went to school. It has served me well over the last 7 years. Not everyone would say that as a lot of my year left after GCSEs because they felt it was too oppressive or something..and went to the local college instead.

I was under the impression that somebody would do that no matter what school they went to. I am at a well respected grammar school where lots of people smoke, take drugs and drink excessively. Infact as a lot of people are better off in terms of money they can afford to smoke more often, take more drugs and drink even more. I suppose the only difference is that more of these people get A's...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.