Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's totally not like that at comprehensives (necessarily). At my college, even though it's comprehensive, most of the highest achieving students take drugs...

ReputationRep:
    I would have liked to have gone to Knighton House and Bryanston School - Loadsa famous people went there Princesses and Sons of Dukes and Actors nd loadsa people tht i cant remember!
    Bryanston is very close to where I live (and also quite close to my school), I went to an athletics competition there a few weeks ago and some of my friends go there!

ReputationRep:
    THe only famous person from my school is ben golings (england rugby 7s hero) although not many people have heard of him.

Im my opinion i think the best route is Private first school (if you can afford it) then state/grammar secondry as otherwise youre pampered your whole life but the introduction with private helps your education and puts you one step ahead of the game

Oooo if you want drugs then Bryanston is the place to go. Sooo many druggies there ...

and famouse people like Amy Studt (who i used to go to school with actually :d)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    :mad: If you go to a state school yourself, do you honestly believe this ridiculous stereotype that everyone smokes, drinks and takes drugs?
    When i was moving up the school through years 9,10,11.. that's what some people in my classes did at break/lunch/out of school. Of course this isn't the case in all state schools but it's arguably much more prolific in the state sector.

It would be wrong to say that all private school pupils go out for a jaunt in Daddy's helicopter at the weekends, so why it is acceptable to generalise about those from state schools?
    What would be so bad about going out in a helicopter if you had one? I'm sure if you came into a lot of money you'd want to spend it.

In some ways, yes, because it teaches you the values of hard work, self-reliance and ambition. Not to mention the fact that being around people from all different backgrounds and abilities teaches you tolerance.
    I can't really disagree with this as my schooling and my part time minimum wage 'zombie' job have certainly given me tolerance. I just can't wait to break of of this bubble, go to university then get a real job :rolleyes:

Undoubtably though, people who were educated at a private or grammar school have a better chance of forming a part of the upper middle class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I was under the impression that somebody would do that no matter what school they went to. I am at a well respected grammar school where lots of people smoke, take drugs and drink excessively. Infact as a lot of people are better off in terms of money they can afford to smoke more often, take more drugs and drink even more. I suppose the only difference is that more of these people get A's...
    But surely under no doubt that even those who commit these vices are more likely to make a sucess of their lives than the equivelant person in a state school?
    I'd appreciate it if when you give me negative reputation you'd make a comment. I won't return the favour though as that would be childish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    When i was moving up the school through years 9,10,11.. that's what some people in my classes did at break/lunch/out of school. Of course this isn't the case in all state schools but it's arguably much more prolific in the state sector.
    I can't say that doesn't happen at my school because I'm sure it does, but it's certainly not everyone who acts like that and maybe not even the majority. As others have pointed out, surely those from private schools are more lilely to smoke, drink and take drugs because they can afford it?

What would be so bad about going out in a helicopter if you had one? I'm sure if you came into a lot of money you'd want to spend it.
    I probably would, I was just saying that whenever stereotypes about private school students are mentioned, students from those schools quite rightly dimiss them as unjust, but this negative state school stereotype still seems to exist.

Undoubtably though, people who were educated at a private or grammar school have a better chance of forming a part of the upper middle class.
    Yep, and that's wrong, but I don't think it's as common as it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate it if when you give me negative reputation you'd make a comment.
    Yeah, it is really annoying to be repped seemingly for no reason, abnd it's even worse when people do it anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    I would not change anything about my schooling. I went to a Catholic comprehensive and I've loved every minute of it and done fairly well (so far!) It's just the right size and the teachers have been wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    Mary Peters went to my school

ReputationRep:
    who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy123)
    who?
    Lol I'm glad you asked that, I don't have a clue who she is either!

But surely under no doubt that even those who commit these vices are more likely to make a sucess of their lives than the equivelant person in a state school?
    I'd appreciate it if when you give me negative reputation you'd make a comment. I won't return the favour though as that would be childish
    There is no requirement to make a comment with rep. I often leave that box blank because I feel that the rep alone makes the point. Anyway what is the point in repping you anonymously when you are a sub and therefore know that I am repping you.

With regard to the actual discussion about schools it is fair enough to say that those in private education are more likely to make a sucess of their lives than those in state schools who commit those devices but it shouldn't become something which is thought of to be entirely true.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've answered this poll as best I can, but
    a grammar school is a state school.

ReputationRep:
    -Why is your school so fantastic/rubbish/ok
    good teachers, facilities, cool classmates, it's international and we're doing IB diploma (all good points)

-Which famous people have gone to your school/are going to your school/should have gone to your school.
    my school doesn't have a long tradition (it was founded after communism was defeated here before it wouldn't be possible) - about 12 years now...so it's too early to talk about famous alumni

-Where would you have liked to have gone to school
    i'm happy at my school...however if i could choose any school, i'd love to go to britain to a boarding school - just to see how oit's like

ReputationRep:
    I go to a catholic private school. People in my school do not realise how lucky we are. We have a 98% GCSE pass rate, and many people got 4A*'s or more. Yet people still moan about how bad the school is. We have no bullying, besides the usual classroom banter, but nothing physical, and nothing verbally that lasts because people report it and it is dealt with properly and effectively. We have our own sports fields, and the teachers really care about us. Yet, we are quite low in the private school league table because we are non-selective (all boys up to sixth form where it is mixed), leading to many students feeling the school sucks.

I know if I went to a state school I would realise how lucky I was, yet many people cannot see that. Some people are sheltered from the "real world" but most aren't and are the same as state school people, street-wise and everything with it. There is no way I would pick another school, this was the best decision I ever made coming here.

ReputationRep:
    Only famous person to go to my school was Jemain Jenas (Newcastle United and England football player).

ReputationRep:
    -Why is your school so fantastic/rubbish/ok

Most of the teachers can't teach, and the students don't want to study. GCSE's and A level scores are pulled up by one or two students in each year.

-Which famous people have gone to your school/are going to your school/should have gone to your school.

Erm...no-one. No-one at all.

-Where would you have liked to have gone to school

I dunno. I've made good friends at this school, but I'd have got better grades if I'd gone private. So I'm kinda glad it's not a decision I have to make.

ReputationRep:
    i like my mixed sex comprehensive secondary school as it is quite different to most schools in terms of the moderness also i dont know whether this is something to be proud of but jade goody from big brother went to my school and shaznay lewis- ex allsaints, also ricky who used to be in eastenders the one who ent out with bianca, however im very excited to go to my new school henrietta barnett school which is a girls grammer school and to add to my love with the school already alice the winner from make me a supermodel on channel 5 went to the school

(Original post by -mb-)
    Well, I've answered this poll as best I can, but
    a grammar school is a state school.
    That is why I didn't vote on the poll. I like my state grammar school...really didn't want people to think I go to a private school.

ReputationRep:
    Actually at my school nearly everyone drinks, some people smoke and a few less people do drugs. I go to a mixed comprehensive with about 50-60% A-C pass rate.
    There seems to be lots of teen preggies, self-harm and eds in my school though!
    Noone famous went to my school.
    If i could go anywhere it would be a private school cos its got better opportunities.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.