Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by rachelrainbow32)
    Actually at my school nearly everyone drinks, some people smoke and a few less people do drugs. I go to a mixed comprehensive with about 50-60% A-C pass rate.
    There seems to be lots of teen preggies, self-harm and eds in my school though!
    Noone famous went to my school.
    If i could go anywhere it would be a private school cos its got better opportunities.
    Mine too (but it is a grammar school...)

ReputationRep:
    i voted private cos i thin ktehre are too many dossers in stateys and they always cuss me :mad: there are more people like me in private schools, so i'd prolly fit in better - that is teh simple logic of my arguement

ReputationRep:
    Feeling kinda mixed about this one; the private school i went to from year 0 (!) to year 9 was ok, too many girls so bit *****y but educationally a good school, school from year 9 to 11 was ok educationally and more balanced socially but i was so happy to leave. College was good socially but not so good educationally. I guess overall i had a good balanced schooling and iv made some really good friends which i reckon is the most important thing after exam results anways.

ReputationRep:
    I gowent to a Foundation School (the new name for a good chunk of grammars)

But it's still a state school, isn't it? Just not a comp. I didn't pay privately, the LEA paid for my education. Thus, a state school. Yes, it is 'grant-maintained' but that's just it, top ups from from grants. Largely because the not so high achieving schools in the borough get the funding first.

As for the actual question.. I would go to the school I went to, no question. Well, unless I lived somewhere else, like...

(Original post by dogtanian)
    I gowent to a Foundation School (the new name for a good chunk of grammars)

But it's still a state school, isn't it? Just not a comp. I didn't pay privately, the LEA paid for my education. Thus, a state school. Yes, it is 'grant-maintained' but that's just it, top ups from from grants. Largely because the not so high achieving schools in the borough get the funding first.

As for the actual question.. I would go to the school I went to, no question. Well, unless I lived somewhere else, like...
    Yes it is still a state school. The grammer school next door to mine is a foundation grant maintained school. I seem to remember (from politics lessons earlier this year) that schools like the one you went to opted out of LEA financial control under some education act to give them more independance but ultimatly they aren't a private school that people have to pay to go to.

ReputationRep:
    kinky school girls outfit
    Err... no... you should see my uniform :eek:

Although achademically private schools may do better, they;re not all what they're cracked up to be...

Why are my parents making me move school?

ReputationRep:
    I love my school..it just has such a different atmosphere to any of the schools nearby. Everyone knows each other, and everyone is friendly..I wouldn't go anywhere else if I had the choice. Plus the teachers are great too, and we do pretty well in the league tables each year, so its very academic too.

ReputationRep:
    100% A*-C at GCSES
    91% A-B A-level...
    I'd go back to my school anyday, even though it's over-strict and highly old-fashioned

ReputationRep:
    I like mah school and we have 81% 5 A*-C pass rate so we are pretty good for a state school. Some teachers = teh lose, but most are teh best.

ReputationRep:
    my school (just left after 5yrs including 6th form) was just one small family - small boarding school in fab location.

if i had the choice again i wud either go back or go to a bigger private but mine had its quirks (tunnels under school drive) and have got many happy memories

ReputationRep:
    My school is alright, is about 3% above national average with GCSEs and A levels I think, is a large state school of about 1300-1350 pupils that is continually expanding, being only built in 1993 in something (well, was built when the Grammar school went)...
    It has recently built a nursery school aswell for 2-5 year olds, called little gryphons (school I go to called Gryphon School) ..and I think the school is planning to build a gerti lecture theatre...the best thing about the school is probably the name :p:
    It is fairly good for arts/drama type courses, and very good for business and economics, though it is not great for physics and maths (perfect for me really!)

If I had the choice, I don't know really, I might have given a public school a shot, would have gotten better grades most definitely, but the Gryphon school has a decent, laid back atmosphere, which i do not think would be possible at a public school

Famous people? None I do not think, as it is a relatively new school....the 3 public schools in my town. (a town of size 13,000, why do we need 3!?!?!) have a lot of famous alumni...Boy school people like Chris Martin and Alan Turing (Enigma machine)...Leweston I do not have a clue, girl school people like Tara Parara Boooooomdeeeaaay

ReputationRep:
    I like my school because I think it suits me well. It's a grammar school that has a GCSE A*-C 100% pass rate and last year the best A-level results in the country So I'm happy there. Although, socially, it is not brilliant because it is a boys school and everyone is too competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this is going to sound so totally dorky for someone of my age, but I really like my school, The exam results are good, and generally the atmosphere about the place is lovely. Basically, I am quite academic, but I'm not bad at athletics and I do performing in my spare time, so I tend to do well in most area's, but seriosuly, the bullying is low, I have never been made to feel uncomfortable by anyone, the teachers are really great, the relationships I have with some are more at "Friends" level.

It's quite hard to fail at my school, the whole place is being refurbished, science has been totally rebuilt, and it's all very new and spangly. the Music department is amazing, I think we were the first in the country to get the software,which I have made good use of.

The people aren't up themselves, or mean or anything either, we are just.....normal.

So yeah, I don't mind my school.

ReputationRep:
    We only had a state school so there wasnt much of a choice for me. If there had been a choice id prefer grammar/public/whatever so that i could have enjoyed better discipline,teaching, class organisation etc and generally had less of my time wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccy)
    Ok, so this is going to sound so totally dorky for someone of my age, but I really like my school, The exam results are good, and generally the atmosphere about the place is lovely. Basically, I am quite academic, but I'm not bad at athletics and I do performing in my spare time, so I tend to do well in most area's, but seriosuly, the bullying is low, I have never been made to feel uncomfortable by anyone, the teachers are really great, the relationships I have with some are more at "Friends" level.

It's quite hard to fail at my school, the whole place is being refurbished, science has been totally rebuilt, and it's all very new and spangly. the Music department is amazing, I think we were the first in the country to get the software,which I have made good use of.

The people aren't up themselves, or mean or anything either, we are just.....normal.

So yeah, I don't mind my school.
    I don't think thats dorky, I think its dead lucky!!

ReputationRep:
    I also love my school. I go to a private school but my brother and sister go to a state school so I get both sides of the story. When I was 11, I had to make the choice between going to a state school (where they are now but weren't at the time) or going to the school I am at now. I'm positive I made the right choice, but would have liked the flexibility of my brother's school as they offer more GCSE choices and you can take more which I'd have liked to have done. Chris Tarrant went to my school along with lots of other people that I should really know...

ReputationRep:
    I went to private school. Wouldn't have gone anywhere else. It was in Edinburgh, great campus/grounds, small yeargroup, no bullying, great camaraderie, excellent GCSE/A-Level results, 85% achieve first choice uni, very highly respected for sport (esp. Rugby).

Famous People? I was coached for 2 years by the then Master of Rugby, Frank Hadden, who is currently Scotland Rugby coach/manager. John Napier too (although I wasn't taught by him ).

I would definitely go there again.

ReputationRep:
    Mine's quite good. I think it depends on the pupil a lot to whether they make the most of their school though!
    Erm. No one famous went to my school, but my primary school the guy who plays professor snape went there apparently, which is cool

ReputationRep:
    Why are grammar schools mixed with public/private schools. I went to a state funded grammar school, which one do I choose?

ReputationRep:
    good point ^^

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.