Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GengisKahn)
    I went to private school. Wouldn't have gone anywhere else. It was in Edinburgh, great campus/grounds, small yeargroup, no bullying, great camaraderie, excellent GCSE/A-Level results, 85% achieve first choice uni, very highly respected for sport (esp. Rugby).

Famous People? I was coached for 2 years by the then Master of Rugby, Frank Hadden, who is currently Scotland Rugby coach/manager. John Napier too (although I wasn't taught by him ).

I would definitely go there again.
    Which school did you go to, if you don't mind my asking? I'm going to guess Watson's =P

I think whether you like your school is based on two things: whether the school is good for learning and your attitude towards the staff. I think quite alot also depends on whether or not you have moved schools at any point. In my yeargroup there are about 120 people and less than 50% have been there since the beginning.

I wish there had been an option in the pole for would/would not go back to "single sex private school" - though I realise they are in a minority. I would definitely go back to school at my school were it not for the fact it is not co-educational until sixth year!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=smeets]Which school did you go to, if you don't mind my asking? I'm going to guess Watson's =P

Merchiston. Single sex as well. But great place. Where did you go, smeets?

ReputationRep:

Merchiston. Single sex as well. But great place. Where did you go, smeets?
    Merchiston Castle, eh? I've actually never seen your campus though I've heard its pretty good.

I'm still at Stewart's Melville I'm affraid to say. I reckon that single sex would be better at a boarding school (like Merchi). We have a stupid halfway-house bith Mary Erskine - frankly I wish they'd either combine the two schools or just sever all ties. Its a really good school though. Sadly the principal and I do not see eye to eye.

ReputationRep:
    Stew Mel always struck me as a bit of an odd school... no offense. Especially as I never know whether to call it The Stewart's Melville and Mary Erskine School, or just Stew Mel. But you guys played good Rugby, especially on those pitches you have; I remember your *crappy* changing rooms

What year are you in, seen as you haven't finished? And you can't have played Rugby if you haven't seen the Merchy campus, otherwise you'd have been there before to attempting to win against us - and lose :P ...

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yeah the twinning thing creates all kinds of problems. Our name officially is "Stewart's Melville college" ("SMC" for short) though they have invented a cunning marketing name refering to both senior schools and the junior school: "Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools".

The changing rooms have been improved quite a bit over the past few years, one even has air conditioning! That said, they're still pretty basic. I do play rugby, but for some strange reason we always had to play you guys on a weekday after school. When the games were AWAY I always found some excuse not to play =). The last game I played in at inverleith you guys beat us, even with our coach refereeing! Though to be honest I wasn't able to play to my full potential as some merchi players were wearing wrist bands - a blatant breech of rules! The school want to build some kind of new assembly hall, so I feer that Inverleith will get sold off bit by bit, though I hope not!

I'm going into sixth year in August, though I plan on leaving before the end of the year IF I get an unconditional. When were you at Merchi?

Anyhow, back to waiting nervously for Higher results....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    I go to a catholic private school. People in my school do not realise how lucky we are. We have a 98% GCSE pass rate, and many people got 4A*'s or more. Yet people still moan about how bad the school is. We have no bullying, besides the usual classroom banter, but nothing physical, and nothing verbally that lasts because people report it and it is dealt with properly and effectively. We have our own sports fields, and the teachers really care about us. Yet, we are quite low in the private school league table because we are non-selective (all boys up to sixth form where it is mixed), leading to many students feeling the school sucks.

I know if I went to a state school I would realise how lucky I was, yet many people cannot see that. Some people are sheltered from the "real world" but most aren't and are the same as state school people, street-wise and everything with it. There is no way I would pick another school, this was the best decision I ever made coming here.
    The same happens at my school. At the end of the year when they send out letters about the rise in school fees (as all private schools do) everyone goes:
    "omg!this school is **** how can they add another £400?!"

what they don't realise is that we have an incredibly nice environment to learn in, and they don't appreciate that, and I'm sure many people who have been to a state school would. The world is so unfair :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella19)
    The same happens at my school. At the end of the year when they send out letters about the rise in school fees (as all private schools do) everyone goes:
    "omg!this school is **** how can they add another £400?!"

what they don't realise is that we have an incredibly nice environment to learn in, and they don't appreciate that, and I'm sure many people who have been to a state school would. The world is so unfair :mad:
    Yeah I agree. Though I think there is alot to be said about schools making an effort to have a good environment all round. I personally wouldn't stay in my work place if the overall conditions were bad but the pay was amazing - I hope everyone can see how that equates to the school scenario?

I like my school and it does produce good results, but that doesn't stop me overlooking its flaws - such as trying to introduce a rule whereby pupils had to ask permission to take their blazers off during class!

ReputationRep:
    I've changed the poll to include grammars Unfortunately if you've already voted you won't be able to vote again I could change the votes manually if anyone really wants me to.

Any school can be a 'good' school if the teachers are dedicated, the pupils motivated and peer pressure is exerted on any miscreants to stop their stupid behaviour.

We are largely responsible for allowing others to disrupt our education.

Education empowers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Any school can be a 'good' school if the teachers are dedicated, the pupils motivated and peer pressure is exerted on any miscreants to stop their stupid behaviour.

We are largely responsible for allowing others to disrupt our education.

Education empowers!
    Thats certainly an interesting standpoint. I agree with it in theory, certainly, however in reality I think that it's quite a big if. I'm sure that in private schools where the class sizes are quite small there will be nothing but dedicated staff members and such like. Channel 4's "Undercover Teacher" would suggest otherwise for the state sector however. I also think it is hard for "less able" pupils to motivate themselves, particularly in the subjects they struggle with the most. Obviously this isn't an excuse for them to disrupt the lesson for other people.

I would assurt (though I may well be wrong) that by your logic you could say "I am largely responsible for allowing other people to bully me" (were I ever to be bullied of course images/icons/icon10.gif) and for that reason I don't agree with it. In principle though I see where you're coming from and what you mean, but I don't think the student body are "largely" responsible for doing it - it is, afterall, the job of the school to enforce discipline images/icons/icon12.gif

(Original post by smeets)
    Thats certainly an interesting standpoint. I agree with it in theory, certainly, however in reality I think that it's quite a big if.

I would assurt (though I may well be wrong) that by your logic you could say "I am largely responsible for allowing other people to bully me" (were I ever to be bullied of course images/icons/icon10.gif) and for that reason I don't agree with it. In principle though I see where you're coming from and what you mean, but I don't think the student body are "largely" responsible for doing it - it is, afterall, the job of the school to enforce discipline images/icons/icon12.gif
    I am envisaging the classroom situation where the disruption occurs. Where a class is being disrupted by say two or three pupils, the rest of the class who actually want to work should say to these pupils "why don't you settle down and allow us to get on with our work - you are preventing us from doing what we want to do and that is blatantly unfair". I have seen this type of peer pressure work - it is far more effective than a teacher standing in front of class trying to maintain quiet.

The responsibility for learning is not the school's alone - we should all play a role.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. You're lucky to go to a school where that kind of thing works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    I love my school..it just has such a different atmosphere to any of the schools nearby. Everyone knows each other, and everyone is friendly..I wouldn't go anywhere else if I had the choice. Plus the teachers are great too, and we do pretty well in the league tables each year, so its very academic too.
    Worcester??!! Which school u at?

ReputationRep:
    I liked my school and had loads of friends there so if I had to do it all over again I'd still go there, I'd probably just try harder :blush: Nobody famous went to my school but Liz Hurley went to my college

ReputationRep:
    At my school there was 75% A-C pass rate but I still would like to have experienced what it's like going to a different type of school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smeets)
    Lol, yeah the twinning thing creates all kinds of problems. Our name officially is "Stewart's Melville college" ("SMC" for short) though they have invented a cunning marketing name refering to both senior schools and the junior school: "Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools".

The changing rooms have been improved quite a bit over the past few years, one even has air conditioning! That said, they're still pretty basic. I do play rugby, but for some strange reason we always had to play you guys on a weekday after school. When the games were AWAY I always found some excuse not to play =). The last game I played in at inverleith you guys beat us, even with our coach refereeing! Though to be honest I wasn't able to play to my full potential as some merchi players were wearing wrist bands - a blatant breech of rules! The school want to build some kind of new assembly hall, so I feer that Inverleith will get sold off bit by bit, though I hope not!

I'm going into sixth year in August, though I plan on leaving before the end of the year IF I get an unconditional. When were you at Merchi?

Anyhow, back to waiting nervously for Higher results....
    I've left Merchy now, this year i.e. This was my last 6th form year. I might have played you at rugby before in the senior teams, not sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebby)
    Ok.

-Why is your school so fantastic/rubbish/ok

-Which famous people have gone to your school/are going to your school/should have gone to your school.

-Where would you have liked to have gone to school
    RIC is cool cause you are on first name bases with all the staff including the head teachers which alot of people find shocking. It's also cool because there aren't many students there, I think it's about 200 at most, making the biggest classes you attened about 12 students and a teacher. One on one teaching does happen if only one person takes that class. My smallest class was two other students, me and the teacher. Also there is no school uniform; you can wear what you want; "within reason" as the teachers say.

Famous person (well near enough) that I know of is Joe Pasquale Jr. who is Joe Pasquale's son.

I would liked to have been there from year 9 although I would have been pushed up into year 10 as they didn't have a yr 9 system then so did that instead.

ReputationRep:
    I've left Merchy now, this year i.e. This was my last 6th form year. I might have played you at rugby before in the senior teams, not sure though.
    Lucky for some. You going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    My school is just a regular state comp - average results at GCSE but quite a lot better at A level and in fairness, it's served me well the past 5 years. Results are improving all the time and I'm going back 2 6th form this September.

No-one famous attended as far as I know, though Meera Syal went the local girl's school if that counts lol.

If I had my time again I guess I would still choose my school as there is a generally good atmosphere and the majority of staff and students are really friendly. (Plus I live 5 mins away, so v. convenient too )

ReputationRep:
    I think the best test of how much you liked your school is if you're sad to leave at the end (of your education, not the end of the school day!).

I think that as long as you have a good yeargroup (and I know thats a really big if) then it doesn't matter how the school is, because you'll all be getting ****ed by it together - comradship! At the same time, maybe it is the school who make the year group nice etc.
    I'm not sure.

Anyway, the reason I like my school is mainly down to the students who go there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.