Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Due to a very irritating argument I am running a poll to call verdict, please give your opinion, is the world round or not? I personally have read that it is infact not round but flatter at the poles and has a fancy name such as an oblate spheroid hmmm and isnt round but the alternate argument is i suppose that it is flat, also some people think it is perfectly spherical,

PLEASE END THE CONTRAVERSY!!

Cheers, Sophie x

ReputationRep:
    does a 'perfect' sphere exist? :confused: a perfect sphere would firstly consist of no coefficient of friction, so earth is not a perfect sphere in that sense..

Secondly, i do believe the poles are slightly flattened...

ReputationRep:
    It's flattened at the poles. It's an oblate geoid. There is even a coefficient of flattening.

ReputationRep:
    course its flattened at the poles. to do with gravity and moons and all that weird stuff. i dunno tho. i hate physics...

ReputationRep:
    and anyways wot about mountains and that? and holes in the sea... that makes for a very unround planet.

ReputationRep:
    Its round...ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Its round...ish.
    :rofl: Seabiscuit! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the poles are flattened but its round enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    Oblate spheroid/geoid same malarky it still aint round tho!! lmao

ReputationRep:
    Surely "round" is more associated with 2D objects.....I would call the Earth more "spherical" than "round"

Just to be annoying - I'm going to vote "no"

ReputationRep:
    grrr

ReputationRep:
    hmm, maybe the world is cubic, as we perceive using a lens (eyes), which converges onto an image, could the fact that the lens is curved cause us to perceive the world as round? :eek: [another random theory ]

ReputationRep:
    still though it aint round hehe

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree that its not perfectly sperical, but its got to be classed as round or surely its going to end up being angular isn't it? And its more round than it is angular, so....yes.

ReputationRep:
    It's more flattened at the poles and of course there's gravity anomalies from the geoid which is the reference sphere of up to 100m. If you're interested in how mountains stay up, look up "isostasy" on google.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't believe the earth is flattened at the poles, consider the rotational energy and how the parts of the surface that are moving fastest will be forced out more (this is the equator).

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the earth is round, but what bothers me is that, people on other side live upside down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    does a 'perfect' sphere exist? :confused: a perfect sphere would firstly consist of no coefficient of friction, so earth is not a perfect sphere in that sense..
    I'm so confused. What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tindo)
    Obviously the earth is round, but what bothers me is that, people on other side live upside down.
    i take it you're not studying physics at oxford then :p: :rolleyes: oxford students...it's all about cam :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's more eliptical....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.