The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:p: Its a big bouncing ball with a soft chewy centre :p:
Its a wierd three d angley shape, and the mountains and hills are the corners and stuff...... :biggrin:
Reply 22
O great now I feel kinda stuipid. I clicked on yes before reading any posts. Doh!:banghead:
Reply 23
it is not the world that is spherical - the world is flat. It is the spacetime in which the world exists that is spherical and manipulating our eyes and minds.....:dancing:
homoterror
I'm so confused. What?

lol, might as well explain....

Consider a ball rolling along a table. Eventually it will stop. This is due to friction. The Co-efficient of friction is the 'amount' of friction an object has (0 being no friction, and 1 being complete friction). Therefore, because of mountains etc, the earth has a co-efficient of friction >0
Reply 25
saiyamana
lol, might as well explain....

Consider a ball rolling along a table. Eventually it will stop. This is due to friction. The Co-efficient of friction is the 'amount' of friction an object has (0 being no friction, and 1 being complete friction). Therefore, because of mountains etc, the earth has a co-efficient of friction >0

lol some1 else who does/did Mechanics at Alevel :smile: did u have to teach urself the entire syllibus as well? virtually all 100 of us doing maths a2 have had to, NOT fun
Seabiscuit
Its round...ish.

**** me! i thought it was a square!
Reply 27
It can't be perfectly spherical because there's hills and stuff.
Reply 28
NickNack
it is not the world that is spherical - the world is flat. It is the spacetime in which the world exists that is spherical and manipulating our eyes and minds.....:dancing:

are you trying to suggest length contraction can make a flat surface spherical? because it can't. it only applies parallel to direction of travel. and don't get me started on inertial frames. just...no.
Reply 29
NickNack

are you trying to suggest length contraction can make a flat surface spherical? because it can't. it only applies parallel to direction of travel. and don't get me started on inertial frames. just...no.
Reply 30
I think its round becuase I don't think a square earth would spin so well in space, plus where are corners?!
Reply 31
MInd you corners would be cool...but hurt quite a bit if you fell on one :smile:
NickNack
lol some1 else who does/did Mechanics at Alevel :smile: did u have to teach urself the entire syllibus as well? virtually all 100 of us doing maths a2 have had to, NOT fun

No no the teacher taught us quite well... :rolleyes: Well i may have failed the M1 exam, despite doing great on C1 and C2 :frown: and M2, dont get me started on that (im doing S1 instead :p: )
The Earth is round because if it wasn't, it would be flat.
-sophie-
Due to a very irritating argument I am running a poll to call verdict, please give your opinion, is the world round or not? I personally have read that it is infact not round but flatter at the poles and has a fancy name such as an oblate spheroid hmmm and isnt round but the alternate argument is i suppose that it is flat, also some people think it is perfectly spherical,

PLEASE END THE CONTRAVERSY!!

Cheers, Sophie x

id say that the answer is no, the earth is not a perfect sphere as it is slightly flatter at the poles and bulges out at the equator, also perfect spheres do not exist as all matter is composed of atoms!
katie xx

Latest

Trending

Trending