imperial engineering Vs Southampton engineering

Watch
fredbraty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
how different are the courses(specifically electrical and electronics) in these two universities?Imperial is considered better.But why?Southampton is well known for its research.How much better are the teachers at each university?
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fredbraty)
how different are the courses(specifically electrical and electronics) in these two universities?Imperial is considered better.But why?Southampton is well known for its research.How much better are the teachers at each university?
According to the Times University Guide (well I've got to have some source, don't shoot me :p:) Southampton is considered better than Imperial for electrical and electronic engineering. It is second, below Cambridge and above Imperial.

EDIT: It has higher graduate prospects as well. On the Guardian it is higher too. My brother is applying for electrical engineering and has done some research and Southampton is extremely highly regarded in this area.
fredbraty
Rep:
?
(Original post by ily_em)
According to the Times University Guide (well I've got to have some source, don't shoot me :p:) Southampton is considered better than Imperial for electrical and electronic engineering. It is second, below Cambridge and above Imperial.

EDIT: It has higher graduate prospects as well. On the Guardian it is higher too. My brother is applying for electrical engineering and has done some research and Southampton is extremely highly regarded in this area.
yess but would he choose southampton over imperial?
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yess but would he choose southampton over imperial?
He has applied to:

Cambridge
Southampton
Bristol
Surrey
Manchester

So yes, he would.
fredbraty
Rep:
?
He has applied to:

Cambridge
Southampton
Bristol
Surrey
Manchester

So yes, he would.
oh..he didnt apply to imperial?seriously?
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh..he didnt apply to imperial?seriously?
He went to the open day but didn't really like the feel of the university and Southhampon and Cambridge are both really well regarded electronics (and generally) so he felt he didn't need to apply there.
fredbraty
Rep:
?
He went to the open day but didn't really like the feel of the university and Southhampon and Cambridge are both really well regarded electronics (and generally) so he felt he didn't need to apply there.
oh ok.maybe i will see him at southampton then
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh ok.maybe i will see him at southampton then
You might have already met him.... did you go to the Soton open day last week?

Where else have you applied?
fredbraty
Rep:
?
no i am not from the uk.but i was in london last week.i have applied to cambridge,imperial,bristol,southampton,manchester.I already have my offers(and some unconditional) from bristol,southampton,manchester and the interview at imperial.did he get any offers?
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no i am not from the uk.but i was in london last week.i have applied to cambridge,imperial,bristol,southampton,manchester.I already have my offers(and some unconditional) from bristol,southampton,manchester and the interview at imperial.did he get any offers?
Yes he has offers from Southampton, Bristol, Manchester and Surrey so far (just waiting for Cambridge now). His choices are very similar to yours!
fredbraty
Rep:
?
Yes he has offers from Southampton, Bristol, Manchester and Surrey so far (just waiting for Cambridge now). His choices are very similar to yours!
where do you want to study?
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
where do you want to study?
Me? Cambridge is my favorite, but if I don't get in there UCL is my next choice. And if I don't get in there either, probably York (this is for linguistics).
fredbraty
Rep:
?
Me? Cambridge is my favorite, but if I don't get in there UCL is my next choice. And if I don't get in there either, probably York (this is for linguistics).
oh nice....Good Luck then... :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads