The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:rofl:

Lets look at one question.
Why does everyone learn HE first (and this includes me)
Cause its the simplest and argueable the more fun of the bunch (tied in with Omaha)

Stud and Draw arnt lingo as much as Actual variations of poker. You would do well to learn this difference

Im one of those people who have played many variations, including obscure ones like Spit in the ocean. I have entered small tournamants and won, in many variations including 7-stud, HE etc.

I see no reason for you to assume that I am not speaking from experience.

I am
Reply 41
I prefer poker, but I voted chess simply because it is a more difficult and thought-provoking game. It can be exhilarating at times, and it promotes logic and forward-thinking.

Poker, whilst being a much more exciting game, is based on luck to an extent where it shouldn't really be compared to chess.
^^
And this is my point exactly:biggrin:
Reply 43
MR_JR
no offence, but thats what every poker player who has just learnt the game and cant be bothered to learn any style of poker other than Holdem. Draw requires more depth than HE.

You're joking right? Draw is about GUESSING!!
And the whole point of being able to see the cards from the flop is that okay they now make up part of your hand: and that gives you a great hand.... but what does it do for everyone else on the table? If you've got full house in Draw then you're pretty much sorted... but if it's HE then a) you don't know if someone else has the same cards as you and b) you gotta wait for the river and table cards to actually know wth is gonna happen. You have to think far faster

And please for the love of earth HOW is Hold Em easier to get to grips with that Draw?!?!
Draw oooo look you have 5 cards now let's count them up
That's a pair
That's a triple
That's a full house
That's a straight
It's really not that hard to look at your own hand and count the dots
Reply 44
MR_JR
:rofl:

Lets look at one question.
Why does everyone learn HE first (and this includes me)
Cause its the simplest and argueable the more fun of the bunch (tied in with Omaha)

Stud and Draw arnt lingo as much as Actual variations of poker.

Im one of those people who have played many variations, including obscure ones like Spit in the ocean. I have entered small tournamants and won, in many variations including 7-stud, HE etc.

I am

Lmao MR_JR. You seem to have the arrogance acquired from the "I'm 15 and I don't like my parents syndrome."

You would do well to learn this difference

No need to talk like James Bond, son. Doesn't make you sound like a better player. :P

I see no reason for you to assume that I am not speaking from experience.

I do. You could have read the 'lingo' from the Internet. Your arrogance is also way too powerful to assume you are talking anything other than rubbish. I've never seen you play, so you could be crap.

Go back to Yahoo! Games, lol.
Reply 45
Also, just to be slightly more contraversial..

I have entered small tournamants and won, in many variations including 7-stud, HE etc.

Small tournaments.. you and your goldfish?
Reply 46
Bekaboo
You're joking right? Draw is about GUESSING!!
And the whole point of being able to see the cards from the flop is that okay they now make up part of your hand: and that gives you a great hand.... but what does it do for everyone else on the table? If you've got full house in Draw then you're pretty much sorted... but if it's HE then a) you don't know if someone else has the same cards as you and b) you gotta wait for the river and table cards to actually know wth is gonna happen. You have to think far faster

And please for the love of earth HOW is Hold Em easier to get to grips with that Draw?!?!
Draw oooo look you have 5 cards now let's count them up
That's a pair
That's a triple
That's a full house
That's a straight
It's really not that hard to look at your own hand and count the dots

I'm with Bekaboo here. I've dabbled in a few of the most popular forms of poker, but every time I go back to Hold'em. Anyone who says that its a simple game is a fool. Not only is it about a bit of luck, its primarily skill and psychology! I've played games before where I've really annoyed people by taking so long with decisions that I get a clock put on me. It really rattled my opponent and they went on tilt after a bad beat. I came back from having a 10/90% chip deficit to winning the game in 6 hands. Whereas with draw... its just luck and knowing when to fold and when to draw cards. Hardly a difficult concept.
Reply 47
ChariK
Lmao MR_JR. You seem to have the arrogance acquired from the "I'm 15 and I don't like my parents syndrome."

No need to talk like James Bond, son. Doesn't make you sound like a better player. :P

I do. You could have read the 'lingo' from the Internet. Your arrogance is also way too powerful to assume you are talking anything other than rubbish. I've never seen you play, so you could be crap.

Go back to Yahoo! Games, lol.

:rofl: Remind me to rep you tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 48
Hear hear Vlad.. goes to show Holdem really is the best variation of poker.
Reply 49
Mad Vlad
:rofl: Remind me to rep you tomorrow :biggrin:

Will do! :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 50
Poker more fun than chess. Chess an intellectual's game.
Well in poker it's possible to beat the best players, but in chess it's almost impossible.. :rolleyes: So Poker! It's easier!
There isn't a comparison to be made, this is stupid. They're completely different styles of game for completely different situations. Chess is a one-on-one battle, but would you invite 5 of your mates round for beers, pizza and a chess competition? No. Or at least I hope you wouldn't.

As for "skill" levels, chess debatably requires more intelligence and practice than poker to reach an adequate level of playing ability, but I'm not convinced it's a more skillful game.

Also, chess is about reading the game whereas poker is about reading your opponents. In chess you look at the board, you know what YOU think are the best moves to make and assume that your opponent sees it the same way. With poker you have very little idea what your opponent is holding, you have to observe them and hope you're reading them right.

In short they're completely different games for completely different situations. It's like comparing a glass of champagne with a pint of beer.
Reply 53
Poker is better because it's the only one of the two that I understand... my dad tried to teach my how to play chess and he gave up :frown: The only pieces I remember were the Queen, King, & pawns... what's that horse thingy called!? It's cute! :biggrin:
Amanda
Poker is better because it's the only one of the two that I understand... my dad tried to teach my how to play chess and he gave up :frown: The only pieces I remember were the Queen, King, & pawns... what's that horse thingy called!? It's cute! :biggrin:

That'd be the knight :tongue:

I'm a half decent poker player, and a terrible chess player. I know the basics i.e. how to win in theory, and how the pieces move, but my tactics aren't good enough to beat... anybody. A mentally challenged 3 year old could probably beat me without trying.
Reply 55
Amanda

Knight hehe
Reply 56
The horse is called a knight?? Okay, that works! :biggrin: :redface:
Reply 57
Andrew000
poker is the biggest load of rubbish in the world. It is played by those who are incapable of playing a sensible game and so play one that relies purely on chance. The arguement that there is skill to it is utter rubbish. Chess is an excellent game that demonstrates intellectual prowess. The game is vast and takes years to master. Poker can be learnt to the standard of the so-called 'pros' in a day. There is absolutely no comparision. Merely suggesting that poker is a preferable pastime to chess displays ignorance beyond belief.

wtf!!!???

It is skill aswell as luck :cool:
Reply 58
Amanda
The horse is called a knight?? Okay, that works! :biggrin: :redface:

The knight fell off :wink: :biggrin:
poker :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending