Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    The knight fell off
    Or maybe the knight is gettin some with the Queen. What a pimpette!!

ReputationRep:
    Chess!! I dont know how to play poker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commander V)
    I dont know how to play poker
    It's not difficult. If you learn the hands and what beats what then sit in on a few hands with people who know how to play, you can pick it up in 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can play poker.

Chess is game that takes skill.

ReputationRep:
    Although I play both (and in my university days represented the uni at both), chess is far better, unless you want some fun when poker can be better. I'm laying claim to be one of the best TSR chessplayers with a BCF of 109 and roughly this makes 1800 ELO. I challenge all the people who think they're better to play me

ReputationRep:
    yeah I prefer poker to chess, hold em not any of the other versions, looking at someone picking up on their tells, working out if you have the nut hand.
    Chess is good to, but not great.
    ... and intellectual lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lmao MR_JR. You seem to have the arrogance acquired from the "I'm 15 and I don't like my parents syndrome."
    Ok so you are useing a personal insult to try and prove your point.....

No need to talk like James Bond, son. Doesn't make you sound like a better player. :P
    Oh im ever so sorry. Perhaps I should rephrase myself...again. Learn the diference!

I do. You could have read the 'lingo' from the Internet. Your arrogance is also way too powerful to assume you are talking anything other than rubbish. I've never seen you play, so you could be crap.
    And that gives you what grounds to suggest im not a successful player

small tournaments...golfish
    60 players

Small in the way youd call a cat next to a sphinx small

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    You're joking right? Draw is about GUESSING!!
    And the whole point of being able to see the cards from the flop is that okay they now make up part of your hand: and that gives you a great hand.... but what does it do for everyone else on the table? If you've got full house in Draw then you're pretty much sorted... but if it's HE then a) you don't know if someone else has the same cards as you and b) you gotta wait for the river and table cards to actually know wth is gonna happen. You have to think far faster

And please for the love of earth HOW is Hold Em easier to get to grips with that Draw?!?!
    Draw oooo look you have 5 cards now let's count them up
    That's a pair
    That's a triple
    That's a full house
    That's a straight
    It's really not that hard to look at your own hand and count the dots
    Ok lets go with the guessing thing for a second...
    Draw you are guessing 5 of your opponents cards
    HE you are guessing no more than 2...

And i dunno if youve noticed, but the hand rankings apply through all high poker forms.

Yes if you have a full house in Draw youre sitting pretty. What are the odds of that in comparison to HE. Based on card numbers you have 7 caards in HE to make that boat compared to 5 in draw. Draw requires more skill to actually see that there IS more to it than guessing. Its more about playing the pot odds mainly and trying to read people. HE is more "what could help him beat me when were bothign useing these 5 cards here"

Dont get me wrong. HE is probobally the more enjoyable, thats why its taken off. But its also easier to master...and easier to pick up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSornia)
    Although I play both (and in my university days represented the uni at both), chess is far better, unless you want some fun when poker can be better. I'm laying claim to be one of the best TSR chessplayers with a BCF of 109 and roughly this makes 1800 ELO. I challenge all the people who think they're better to play me
    1800 is pretty good. Ill give you a game if you want, probably blunder horribly though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSornia)
    Last year, when I was playing for an actual club, I was playing at around 130 BCF. So ner! I'd be happy to play you too.

Michael

ReputationRep:
    You are all wrong the king of games is beach vollyball. A game for true academic giants.

ReputationRep:
    I love poker, I can play chess but I don't really like. Poker I'm good at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    chess-even though im crap at it!
    :ditto:
    I am awful at it, but I have never played poker, so hey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    Last year, when I was playing for an actual club, I was playing at around 130 BCF. So ner! I'd be happy to play you too.

Michael
    Ooh a challenger! Shall we play a correspondence game over TSR? We should not use computers or opening books or anything like that. Choose your colour!

ReputationRep:
    should set up a correspondance chess competition

ReputationRep:
    there are several online chess games, free to join. You two could sign up on one and then play over that. Tis easy..... IF you want the URL's, PM me... i wont post them cause that would be advertising

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i use the playchess one (fritz). Probably the best.

ReputationRep:
    At my school we started a poker club, be it an 'underground club', if you will. It was all going well until some guy lost his expensive watch in a game, at that point we realised it was all getting a little too serious.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.