Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    You've been at Oxford a year - I think you can only really be a fresher once. :rolleyes:
    Ooh, aren't you quick with the sarcasm? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm surprised there aren't more people doing PPE since it has the most students university wide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoraster)
    Well I'm surprised there aren't more people doing PPE since it has the most students university wide.
    Think History has more.
    And anyway, PPEists are usually scared of the internet, preferring to either network or just lie in a field somewhere looking at the sky.

(PPEists fall into 2 camps: those who hate economics, and those who hate philosophy. Those who hate philosophy generally want to be incredibly wealthy, and so network in whatever field possible. Those who hate economics generally want to work in a downtrodden coffee house in Prague or somewhere, and so tend to just sit outside and ponder a lot.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    PPEists fall into 2 camps: those who hate economics, and those who hate philosophy.
    So which are you Mark? And I'm fairly certain I saw you again last week in the covered market...mwhahahahah :p:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously a failed PPEist, Chloe (is there an easier way to find the e with an accent than the character map?)

Does anyone else find it strange that there are all these possible sightings of TSR members? Is this because everyone met each other once at a gathering and then avoided real contact since then?

Or do TSR members just moonlight as stalkers for much of the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Think History has more.
    And anyway, PPEists are usually scared of the internet, preferring to either network or just lie in a field somewhere looking at the sky.

(PPEists fall into 2 camps: those who hate economics, and those who hate philosophy. Those who hate philosophy generally want to be incredibly wealthy, and so network in whatever field possible. Those who hate economics generally want to work in a downtrodden coffee house in Prague or somewhere, and so tend to just sit outside and ponder a lot.)
    i hate politics... so do quite a few of my ppe fellows at balliol...

ReputationRep:
    well I have been added to the list but I think I may just have missed my grades needed! Can I just ask, seriously what are the chances of being accepted with AABB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    well I have been added to the list but I think I may just have missed my grades needed! Can I just ask, seriously what are the chances of being accepted with AABB?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t124376.html

ReputationRep:
    OK, touch of a generalisation: but about a third of PPEists quit either philosophy or economics, and a sixth politics or nothing.
    I fall into the economics-hating sky-gazing job-avoiding camp, incidentally.

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I hadn't even thought about the possibility that people might drop politics. I just assumed the only options were to drop economics or philosophy. I think this is because I'm self-centered and the combination of Econ and Phil seems really strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoraster)
    Obviously a failed PPEist
    Probably...I am doing a presentation on the Use of Physics in Economics and plan to do the Financial Physics module this year!

...Chloe (is there an easier way to find the e with an accent than the character map?)
    Yeah, hold down the "alt gr" button (usually just to the right of the keyboard) while you press e. This works with most software and also enables you to produce the copyright, registered and trademark symbols when pressing c, r and t respectively (although I think this only works in Word) and you can do similar things with the other vowels. You can also do it using the "alt + ..." a 3digit number which I've forgotten, I know it's 133/136 or something..."alt gr"+e is much easier though!

Does anyone else find it strange that there are all these possible sightings of TSR members? Is this because everyone met each other once at a gathering and then avoided real contact since then? Or do TSR members just moonlight as stalkers for much of the time?
    Yeah, it's because we all do know each other in real life (Mark, I think the first time we met was at Univ's formal hall which Will arranged...don't remember you at the Duke of Cambridge official meet-up?) but we don't all go to the same colleges/do similar stuff and Oxford is a big place so we only see people occaisionally. I see Shiny around Oxford a lot (pizza hut and noodle bar usually), Binya: ALWAYS see in Noodle Bar, Matt: OOTB stuff, Simon and Chris (thepants999) are at my colleges, I see the physicists in lectures and Will I knew from backhome and have been to his formal hall and he's been to a Lincoln bop. Elles and Kate I see less regularly. Also met various other people, including Jools at the Official Meet-up, Clodagh at Univ's formal hall...and lots of others too...

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably see you around more on the river next year Chloé! Seeing as I plan to cox next year and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I'll probably see you around more on the river next year Chloé! Seeing as I plan to cox next year and all
    YAY!!! And I want to come to formal hall at Somerville at some point..obviously you're welcome at Lincoln any time (although the food at formal hall isn't that impressive!)

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I'll be there with any luck, Classics at St Hildas (I'm Fiona)

ReputationRep:
    i've obviously got to stop being such a domestic goddess & start frequenting fast food places for you Chloé! :rolleyes: (i found the accent..wheee!)

Kate sometimes sees me -typically with shopping bags in hand!

Nick i bump into quite often as i enter my house - he's so obviously stalks me.. :rolleyes: (surprise phonecalls? muhaha)

oh & i met Mark & it took far too long to click that it was him..

but next year i should have relatively little work.. as a proper scientist - so may relieve my youth & have another fresher's week..ahem. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i've obviously got to stop being such a domestic goddess & start frequenting fast food places for you Chloé! :rolleyes: (i found the accent..wheee!)
    Hehe! You make me sound like a fast food junky! Actually, only met Shiny in Pizza Hut once (and Will was in there too, which was quite freaky!)...Simon's seen him in there once too. Noodle Bar is a regular usually on Saturdays when there's isnt a hall (well, there is but it's £7!!! :eek: ) and Binya is always there :p:

ReputationRep:
    i actually don't have an alt gr, though I remember it fondly on the Italian keyboards as the key I had to push to get the @ symbol. I can type Alt + 0233 if I use the number pad, but that requires holding down a special key on my laptop to access.

If I switch the language to UK then I get the e key using the right alt + e, but it means that my symbols are all messed up (the quote symbol above the 2? Outrageous!). I wish there were a way to customize my keys and keystrokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    YAY!!! And I want to come to formal hall at Somerville at some point..obviously you're welcome at Lincoln any time (although the food at formal hall isn't that impressive!)
    Absolutely! Must host a TSR formal in Michaelmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feefifofum)
    Oooh, I'll be there with any luck, Classics at St Hildas (I'm Fiona)
    Heya Fiona!

I know someone who will also hopefully be going to study Classics at St Hilda's! I'll try and get her to post on here at some point .

ReputationRep:
    Better than formal:
    Come to my house for dinner! I'll cook!

Actually, that's a terrible idea. I'll still try and do it.

Edit to add something potentially useful: RichE, do you reckon it would be useful to put up a register of people actually here in your first post in the thread as well? Seems to me like it'd be quite useful, as it means it's immediately obvious when there's someone who can actually answer a question due to insider info or whatever.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.