The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they are all as lively as you make it to be honest... I'd recommend Radnor/ Pilgrim because they are nice and relatively cheap.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
sean1114
kl m8, any halls in particular that are lively?

cheers

All seem pretty good, Ive been in Robbins, Pilgrim and I live in Radnor...

Rooms wise in terms of bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, Pilgrim and Radnor are very similar both en-suite, Robbins mostly aren't en-suite and have smaller rooms although you'll get a balcony....

Id say it depends more on your particular flat and flatmates than the actually halls generally as regards how livel they are though, from my experience they are all good fun!
Reply 3
Hey, I read on a thread somewhere that the halls have a curfew of 11pm. Is this true?? Cos it will really suck if it is!!
Reply 4
Ellie_24
Hey, I read on a thread somewhere that the halls have a curfew of 11pm. Is this true?? Cos it will really suck if it is!!

After 11pm they generally want you to keep the noise down a bit, nobody really complains apart from the foreign students who dont do anything.

It also depends how strict your Halls Assistant person is, generally we do what we like providing we arent screaming at 6am... which we do.. a lot lol.

But yea, its no problem whatsoever... you can leave and enter whenever you want, halls are great, apart from fire alarms D:
Reply 5
im really confused atm as well
im really want an ensuit and like the idea of a flat as it seems to be best idea as im not rly gunna know anyone
it seems really confusing atm, and the fact theres saying only 50% of first years get their accomodation is scaring me as well, although i should be ready to apply on the first day its up (unconditional offer)
im looking at allocated cluster flats which seem quite good, but was only lookign at them as i was told the uni run halls have a 11pm curfew and no partys or anythign
Reply 6
It all really depends on what your willing to sacrifice.

Gilwell is the cheapest - (and when you start, all the rooms will have been refurbished (getting done over the summer) It's really sociable, but you don't get en suite, and if you are on floor 7 - 8, your kitchen is a lot smaller than lower down flats because of sloping roofs. And if you lose your door key, it's the cheapest halls to get it replaced in. £25 instead of around £80.

Francis Drake/ Mary Newman - both brand new, both very expensive.
Robbins - Big Rooms, Ensuite - though don't choose if you dislike climbing stairs, there are alot.
Radnor/Pilgrim - Ensuite Pretty much the same really.

The problem that plymouth has in comparison to other uni's is that most halls, don't have a communal space, with sofas and the like. (Gilwell doesn't even have a dining table).

If that's a problem, there's always the Unite Buildings, St Thomas Court, and St Teresas. Privately run Halls of Residence

I was in Gilwell 1st Year, and am moving into Robbins to be a Resident Assistant in my 3rd year.

The "curfew" in place is is just a keep the noise down after 11. But if your having a party, clubs and pubs are minutes away.
Reply 7
u see pretty impartial there which is good really
what would be your recomendation if the cost of the en suit rooms isnt really an issue
looks like pilgrim, radnor or the st thomas unite halls seem to be pretty good
looking for a more social atmosphere for my first year at least
also, do all rooms have windows? stupid qyuestion really but cant stand the idea of a room without and a few of ma mates at other unis dont
Reply 8
it honestly doesnt make a difference mate, I personally prefer the rooms in Robbins but for kitchens and that Francis Drake would be a lot better. All depends on which floor your on too. St Thomas... meh, i go there quite a lot but not too fussed on the layout of it/how scabby UNITE can be.

As for social side, you'll get it in any Halls, as long as you talk to people :smile: and i promise you that.

As for windows, yes. I have a door which leads onto the balcony too :biggrin: but that is staying firmly shut at the moment haha.

Some will have bigger/smaller than others though
Reply 9
Well, if the cost isn't an issue. The Francis Drake and Mary Newman are the best halls, newest, and have a lot more space.

The kitchens in Mary Newman are massive.

In my opinion for the social side, Gilwell wins hands down. If your sharing a toilet with 5 others you get to now them quite well.

But yeah, as said. The experience in halls will be much the same which ever hall your in.
Reply 10
Scythica
After 11pm they generally want you to keep the noise down a bit, nobody really complains apart from the foreign students who dont do anything.

It also depends how strict your Halls Assistant person is, generally we do what we like providing we arent screaming at 6am... which we do.. a lot lol.

But yea, its no problem whatsoever... you can leave and enter whenever you want, halls are great, apart from fire alarms D:

Aw brilliant thanks for clearing that up :smile: ugh fire alarms at 3 in the morning :|

I just hope I'll even get a chance to get into halls...being conditional does that mean people with unconditional are going to have a better chance than me at getting a place??
Reply 11
Ellie_24
Aw brilliant thanks for clearing that up :smile: ugh fire alarms at 3 in the morning :|

I just hope I'll even get a chance to get into halls...being conditional does that mean people with unconditional are going to have a better chance than me at getting a place??

I have no idea my dear! Last year i was conditional only applied for accommodation the day after i got my results in August and it was given to me no fuss whatsoeverrrrr

I believe that people who live further away get priority though. But I wouldnt take that as gospel.
Hi
Does anyone know when you have to apply by????
Thanks
Reply 13
I got offered Radnor Hall Room 812 the other day, anyone else in Radnor? Does anyone on here know whether this room or halls in general have beds which lift up and have storage inside of them? If you know pleassse respond x
Reply 14
I got offered pilgrim room 600 and sumfin
anyone else in pilgrim?
Reply 15
Hey guys,

I know youre all talking about Halls but i live in Central Park Towers, just behind the train station. Its like Halls but better. You have your own bathroom and kitchen so theyre not always minging but you stil have the same feel as halls, 200 other students around to meet. Altho theyre studios theyre more sociable than cluster flats because you get to meet everyone in the corridors / common room, rather than just the few in your flat.

I started uni last year and moved in here as i couldnt get into halls and im so glad i did. Loads of events during freshers week in the common room so you get to met everyone, plus once you know each other theres always someone around to play pool with or watch the tv in the common room.

Definately worth considering if you dont know for sure that youve got halls.
Reply 16
I wouldn't bother with halls. Looking at the price of the halls and how dingy they are compared to the private housing on offer. It was no contest, halls are a rip off at plymouth.

Unless you're socially inadequate you'll meet a **** ton of people anyway.
Reply 17
Howes92
I got offered pilgrim room 600 and sumfin
anyone else in pilgrim?

Me and my dad went down to stay in the summer accommodation they've got going on. We stayed in Pilgrim 612 or something it may be your room. The rooms are quite big! x
Reply 18
Hey guys.
im going to plymouth in September.
Staying at St Thomas court!
My suggestion is to check out this ad I've been throwing around Facebook for a lush flat in Mutley. If any of you guys are interested don't hesitate to contact me.

I have rooms in a flat in Mutley I need filling. It's a 3 bed flat and the rooms going are a double and a single, at £80pw and £60pw respectively, which is inclusive of ALL bills. The flat has just been completely renovated with massive modern kitchen, massive lounge living area, and it comes fully furnished which includes a washing machine and tumble dryer.
If you are interested, call me on 07850363053 / 01725552789, email me at [email protected] or Facebook me.

It's a beautiful flat, please get in touch.

Latest