Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your favourite quotes?

I like:

“How do you tell a Communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin.” - Reagan

'Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks'. -Heilein

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us will go to the stars." - Free Capitalist

'A bureaucrat is the most despicable of men, though he is needed as vultures are needed, but one hardly admires vultures whom bureaucrats so strangely resemble. I have yet to meet a bureaucrat who was not petty, dull, almost witless, crafty or stupid, an oppressor or a thief, a holder of little authority in which he delights, as a boy delights in possessing a vicious dog. Who can trust such creatures?'
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

ReputationRep:
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

ReputationRep:
    in order to win you need to learn to lose - Michael jordan !

ReputationRep:
    right here are some of mine
    "how do you like them apples" some guy said it in a war film. then jonny vegas came out with it a few weeks back
    " take a look at the man in the mirror, thats right im here right now, im on the train to Gorgia, owwwww!!!!" mj bo selecta
    " all in all your just another brick in the wall" pink floyd
    " i didn,t do it" bart simpson"
    thats all i can think of just now

ReputationRep:
    never regret the things you do, only the things you don't
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."

"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job. "

- Sir Winston Churchill

ReputationRep:
    ooh, also ALL bush-isms. sooo comical, if a little worrying that this man is president. some classics below:
    "...more and more of our imports are coming from overseas." - On NPR's Morning Edition (9/26)
    "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." - Reuters, May 5, 2000

ReputationRep:
    Al Pacino;
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone"

ReputationRep:
    this is kinda cool:
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. - Kurt Cobain

ReputationRep:
    If God did not exist then man would have to invent him.

ReputationRep:
    "The victor will never be asked if he told the truth" - Hitler

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." - Churchill

ReputationRep:
    "Dulce bellum inexpertis - war is glorious to those who have no experience of it" - Erasmus

"Military Intelligence is a contradiction in terms" - dont know

"You're my wife now..." - Papa Lazarou

ReputationRep:
    There is no victory in war, only varying degrees of defeat.
    - can't remember who said this and can't be bothered to google it - don't think it's very important. just a very cool quote - hope you get time to think about it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Not sure if I like that quote. There are victories in war, maybe not from the point of view of the country as a whole, but on individual merits there are.

ReputationRep:
    "It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm's way." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

"You work three jobs? … Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." —George W. Bush, to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005

I love stupid quotes.

ReputationRep:
    "Their honour is mine, I shall not let them down" <<not sure>>
    "Would you rather live life or your dreams?" <<me>>
    "If you don't live your dreams, then who will?" <<me>>
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." <<Shawshank Redemption>>

edit: how did i forget :eek:

"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark. At the end of a storm is a golden sky and the sweet silver song of a lark. Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone, you'll never, ever walk alone."

ReputationRep:
    "we must believe in luck, for how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?" :cool:

ReputationRep:
    "I takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen" - Homer simpson

"I have a dream..." - MLK (so powerful)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    "Their honour is mine, I shall not let them down" <<not sure>>
    "Would you rather live life or your dreams?" <<me>>
    "If you don't live your dreams, then who will?" <<me>>
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." <<Shawshank Redemption>>

edit: how did i forget :eek:

"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark. At the end of a storm is a golden sky and the sweet silver song of a lark. Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone, you'll never, ever walk alone."
    Ahh good old shawshank, watched that film the other night, almost made me shed a tear.

ReputationRep:
    just random ones i've found on browsings. not sure who said them all as i didn't file them properly. i couldnt find my favorite one tho.

"You know your screwed... When the Crazy Person is right"
    - Me (Whilst Watching 8 legged freaks)

"Strength was the virtue of paganism; obedience is the virtue of Christianity."

"Beware the person of one book"
    - Latin Proverb

"Live your own life, for you will die your own death"
    - Latin Proverb

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    - Mark Twain

"Suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope"
    - Romans

"The ancient Romans had a tradition: whenever one of their engineers constructed an arch, as the capstone was hoisted into place, the engineer assumed accountability for his work in the most profound way possible: he stood under the arch."

"Thou too art mortal"
    - Roman Proverb

"In wine there is truth"
    - Roman Proverb

"Nothing dries sooner than tears."
    - Latin Proverb

"Who timidly requests invites refusal"
    - Latin Proverb

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.