Turn on thread page Beta

Is anybody else sick to death of Bob Geldof, Coldplay, Bono, Richard Curtis..and watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's all cover ourselves in baked beans for charity and give the money raised to the Africans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    Cow can you be sick of Coldplay?!? :eek:
    Its not difficult

ReputationRep:
    Geldof talks about how its repugnant in a world of surplus that there are people with so little--he's got a plush home in Chelsea, i'd imagine a multi-million affair...so cough up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Geldof talks about how its repugnant in a world of surplus that there are people with so little--he's got a plush home in Chelsea, i'd imagine a multi-million affair...so cough up
    Hmmm...so why is he always saying "We don't want the money"...hence the fact that Live8 is free.

It seems Geldolf has, as has the rest of the world (many years later than most people with half a brain) have come to the conclusion that simply throwing aid at Africa cant solve anything. The problems are far more structural, and Geldolf is wanting to raise political savvyness to this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Hmmm...so why is he always saying "We don't want the money"...hence the fact that Live8 is free.
    He's only being saying that very recently. He makes the implication in that comment that whether the changes are "structural" or not, that they involve "surplus" being transformed into more for the poor. What he has is "surplus", by 99.99(or whatever)% of the world's standards, so would he be willing to rid himself of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    He's only being saying that very recently. He makes the implication in that comment that whether the changes are "structural" or not, that they involve "surplus" being transformed into more for the poor. What he has is "surplus", by 99.99(or whatever)% of the world's standards, so would he be willing to rid himself of it?
    I think he's referring to surplus on a far bigger scale than the individual one - such as the money thats wasted subsidising EU farms to produce food that isnt even consumed and cripples any chance of thriving agriculture in Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    Ppl going up to Edinburgh aren't going to spend 12 hrs on a coach each way for selfish reasons. Im going because we live in a world of plenty yet most ppl dont get to experience this and are dying every single day..
    What's the solution?- Education? Birth rates? Contraception? A cure for aids? Isn't it a bit patronising for the rest of the world to keep having to show them/aid them/whatever? Is it not just a case of Darwinism, survival of the fittest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I think he's referring to surplus on a far bigger scale than the individual one - such as the money thats wasted subsidising EU farms to produce food that isnt even consumed and cripples any chance of thriving agriculture in Africa.
    Most people wouldn't argue that that is absurd.....but a hell of a lot of what i've heard has been about things like trying to increase the percentage of America's GDP going to Africa.

ReputationRep:
    =\ OMG PREVIOUS GENERATIONS HAD BANDS WHO CHANGED THE WORLD, rofl internets you think anyone made a difference. lemme guess OMG TEH BEATLES, teh beatles = ognoes hippies in the music, for real these bands suck pop music is awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    =\ OMG PREVIOUS GENERATIONS HAD BANDS WHO CHANGED THE WORLD, rofl internets you think anyone made a difference. lemme guess OMG TEH BEATLES, teh beatles = ognoes hippies in the music, for real these bands suck pop music is awful
    Could someone tell me what language he's speaking? The bablefish doesn't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Could someone tell me what language he's speaking? The bablefish doesn't understand.
    Naw sorry... I can pick out the odd word. I think its the grammar that lets it down ever so slightly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    I hate them all. If they wanted to really help they'd advocate free trade. They are all on an ego trip. I will not contribute anything, we already give too much in aid.
    If they don't advocate fair trade then why has Chris Martin got MTF (Make Trade Fair) written on his piano and his hand the majority of the time! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I hate Bob Geldof. Despise him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I'm sick of it too. I also refuse to conform to the wristband fashion. What kind of insecure ******* needs a wristband to prove they contribute to charity?
    :dito:

At least all that seems to have quietened down a bit now - haven't heard Bob Geldof's name in the news for ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieD)
    It makes me laugh the way people are always finding excuses not to do things, reasons not to support certain causes. I don't have a particular opinion about Gedolf et al but im certainly not about to condemn the man for trying to actually do something, whether he's celebrity or not, i respect him for getting off his arse and doing something, whether or not what he does do will actually make a difference.
    Well said. I know the wristbands aren't being worn in the right manner, but at least some people were / are making an effort to raise awareness about issues. I don't have any problem whatsoever with people who try to do something about the poverty situation, it's better than doing nothing on the pretence that it probably won't eradicate poverty, even if it does help a bit.

I also don't quite follow how cancelling debt would be bad for African countries. I would thinnk it would help them to build a stable economy because less of their income would be going to paying off loans etc.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.