Turn on thread page Beta

Should I apply for Physics or Physics and Philosophy? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    If you don't mind me saying so, that is a very defeatist attitude. Obviously, if you feel that you don't want to put yourself through all the stress of preparing and going through the interview process, that in itself is a perfectly reasonable decision. However, if you are letting your doubts hold you back from going for something you really want, I'd say go for it, try your very best, and if Oxford don't want you, then that's just the way things turn out. I'm speaking from experience, as I'm re-applying for a Cambridge course which I'm not 100% qualified for, not having done an A level language, but I'm going for it anyway, as you just never know how the tutors will view any individual application. I believe that if you package the deal right and sell yourself well, you can convince them that they should give you a place. Either way, if you don't even try, you won't succeed and might end up with serious regrets; you only live once, afterall!
    and how on earth does that help me in answering the question "am i at a disadvantage if i havent done at least an AS level in further maths when applying to oxford 4 physics".

i dont mind the hassle of it all, i just dont want a stupid isutation whereby a place could be at stake depending on whether i did further maths or not. its all stupid. especially when only applying 4 physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Isn't the alot of physics based on mathematical reasoning and essentially isnt physics just applied maths?
    no it isnt actually. tehre is a lot of science involved; hence physics is classed as a science. there are a lot of facts to be learnt aswell as concepts and details. there is a lot of maths involved; but it certainly isnt an "applied maths degree". maths covers about 50% of it, and even then that relates to things such as electricity etc aswell.

ReputationRep:
    How is it stupid exactly?

Ok, two candiates one place, only one did further maths, everything else equal

Since, physics is based on alot of mathamatics and further maths is a more advanced form of maths surely the unversity would be logically picking the better candidate?

Physics is applied mathamatics in alot of areas... like you have just said 50% of the degree so it is a half maths course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Philosophy will be more like General Studies of the subjects you have done in A-level. Physics with/and Philosphy can very hard, but is definitely a very well regarded degree. The philosophy also provides a break from mathematics and science, replacing it with some reading and essays. Whether this is a good thing or not is entirely an individual thing.
    That is not true. I don't believe Philosophy is like general studies at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    IZ IT COZ I IZ BLACK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharon_love)
    IZ IT COZ I IZ BLACK?
    Riiiiiiiight.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    IZ IT COZ I IZ BLACK?
    quite

ReputationRep:
    IZ IT COZ I IZ BLACK?
    yes, i think being black (aswell as not doing further maths) will screw up your oxford exntrance, do a micheal jackson!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    yes, i think being black (aswell as not doing further maths) will screw up your oxford exntrance, do a micheal jackson!
    i just looked on the site. the impression i got was that doing an a-level in further maths is helpful coz it means it stretches u and will aid u in the first few weeks at oxford )if selected, however, it seemed to make it clear that in terms of admissions, it will not be seen as "more worthy" than those who dont do further maths; what amtters is that those who apply have good mathematical skills - hence HOW I PERFORM IN SOLVING MATHS PROBLEMS IN THE INTERVIEW ASWELL AS THE WRITTEN TEST IS WHAT AMTTERS IN THE ADMISSIONS PROCESS.
    further maths is helpful in terms of that the first few weeks will be like revision - but it doesnt give an advantage over another who only did single maths, as long as good mathemtical ability is proved etc.

AND, I DO A-LEVEL COMPUTING, WHICH IS RELEVANT TO THE COURSE ASWELL. THE FIRST YEAR INVOLVES PROGRAMMING, and there are SEVERAL PROJECTS INVOLVED USING COMPUTERS, GRAPHICAL MODELS ON THE PC, PROGRAMMING ETC.....

so i should be fine!
    *prays*

ReputationRep:
    i just looked on the site. the impression i got was that doing an a-level in further maths is helpful coz it means it stretches u and will aid u in the first few weeks at oxford )if selected, however, it seemed to make it clear that in terms of admissions, it will not be seen as "more worthy" than those who dont do further maths; what amtters is that those who apply have good mathematical skills - hence HOW I PERFORM IN SOLVING MATHS PROBLEMS IN THE INTERVIEW ASWELL AS THE WRITTEN TEST IS WHAT AMTTERS IN THE ADMISSIONS PROCESS.
    further maths is helpful in terms of that the first few weeks will be like revision - but it doesnt give an advantage over another who only did single maths, as long as good mathemtical ability is proved etc.

AND, I DO A-LEVEL COMPUTING, WHICH IS RELEVANT TO THE COURSE ASWELL. THE FIRST YEAR INVOLVES PROGRAMMING, and there are SEVERAL PROJECTS INVOLVED USING COMPUTERS, GRAPHICAL MODELS ON THE PC, PROGRAMMING ETC.....

so i should be fine!
    *prays*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Who said philosophy is like general studies??? Kick them please, now...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    philosophy is hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    philosophy is hard
    Are you reading philosophy??? It is indeed a very challenging and intellectually rigorous subject; generally people don't tend to appreciate that. It involves getting to grips with some very compex abstract subjects.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    No but I know people that have done it and they always seemed to have a lot of work and it looks like a challenging course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    No but I know people that have done it and they always seemed to have a lot of work and it looks like a challenging course.
    WERE THEY INDIAN?

ReputationRep:
    and how on earth does that help me in answering the question "am i at a disadvantage if i havent done at least an AS level in further maths when applying to oxford 4 physics".

i dont mind the hassle of it all, i just dont want a stupid isutation whereby a place could be at stake depending on whether i did further maths or not. its all stupid. especially when only applying 4 physics.
    Personallly, with the attitude you are expressing on here I doubt you will get into Oxford (why do u keep pestering people saying that they haven't answered your question! give them a chance, they're only trying to help).

Secondly, it doesn't sound to me like you enjoy your maths ("is that enough friggin maths for you") which means that the interviewers will see right through you and realise that they don't want you on their course. Half of the first year is dedicated to learning some degree level maths, so if you don't like that then don't apply for Physics ANYWHERE!

i think sharon_love is bono.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should apply for physics since you didn't take philosophy at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    Physics without further maths at Oxbridge? In all honesty, I don't think you'd stand a chance.
    Sure, Durham etc. might, might accept you for Physics w/o further maths, but Oxford? Nah, not really. But Oxford ain't the be-all and end-all of all the unis...

One question: Did your school *offer* further maths at AS/A-Level or not?
    If they did and you didn't take it, I'd say you are on shaky ground. If they don't, then you are probably okay, just do some further maths in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzfvar)
    Physics without further maths at Oxbridge? In all honesty, I don't think you'd stand a chance.
    Sure, Durham etc. might, might accept you for Physics w/o further maths, but Oxford? Nah, not really. But Oxford ain't the be-all and end-all of all the unis...

One question: Did your school *offer* further maths at AS/A-Level or not?
    If they did and you didn't take it, I'd say you are on shaky ground. If they don't, then you are probably okay, just do some further maths in your spare time.
    I am doing FM, starting in the summer. The whole A2.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.