Had braces, didn't wear my retainers? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, starting off I am extremely scared of my dentist, I despise the lady she is so fake, intimidating and grumpy.
So I had braces when I was about 13 up until 15 because my teeth were wonky.
They came off and I was given retainers. Then one day after wearing them on and off for 6 months, sometimes forcing my retainers on after my teeth moved, usually after a week of not wearing. They always moved back into position fine.

Then one day on the 6th month I genuinly lost my retainers, and me being a careless, stupid young teen not acknowledging the work and time and money put into the treatment I basically forgot about it and carried on with life because I didn't want to go back to the dentist.

Now after 4 months of not wearing them my teeth are crooked again, its definetely not as bad as before YET and its not life ruining, but I don't want them to go back completely.

All this was NHS and I'm just wondering if it will cost me money next time or can I still get it on NHS which I really really want????? I'm 16 years old now.
Anonymous #1
They came off and I was given retainers. Then one day after wearing them on and off for 6 months, sometimes forcing my retainers on after my teeth moved, usually after a week of not wearing. They always moved back into position fine.
Sorry for my grammar mistake, it should read:

They came off and I was given retainers. I wore them on and off for 6 months, sometimes forcing my retainers on after my teeth moved, usually after a week of not wearing. They always moved back into position fine.
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am in the EXACT same position as you. Had braces from 13-15, wore my retainer for a couple of months, then I'd take it out for a while, wear it again to straighten them up. Lost my retainer a few months ago and now my two front teeth are back to square one.
If you'd reported losing the retainer to your dentist straightaway then you could have paid for a new one, but I'm not sure what your options would be now.
Anonymous #1
I reported it and they said they'd make me a new one a month after I lost them, they sent me away and I forgot about the whole event and carried on my life. WEIRD, I KNOW!

Now I regret everything, I was such a idiot, a stupid, stupid ******* idiot.
-XxX-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i didnt wear my retainers after my braces....i probably should have but i lost them too :sigh: My teeth didnt move too much though
go to your dentist? I forgot to tell them about mine so i have no idea what theyll say :p:
martin101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would be pretty sure you wont be offered NHS orthodontic treatment a second time round just because of essentially non compliance - I know you lost them but that isnt the point. Sorry to put a bummer on it, but if you want it sorted its more than likely itll cost you - though it will vary from one trust to another.
polarbbz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i havent worn mine in a year and only one tooth SLIGHTLY budged?
Lollyage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You might get braces again temporarily, for about 3 months or so, that's what happened to a couple of my friends. But seriously go to your dentist, the earlier it can be sorted out the better.
ChannieAlana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I asked my dentist if I could get a retainer or even braces again to correct me teeth after them going all crooked. Even worse than what they were like before I had braces! (I was 13-14 when I had them)

She said I had to go private
bornfishy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This happened to me. I haven't taken any action yet, but I'm fairly sure you could pay to get a new one made, and if you wear that, it won't get any worse.

That's the route I'll be taking; while mine aren't quite as straight as before, I'd have no issue with them remaining the way they are now, for the rest of my life.

Note to self: get that appointment made...
Stressworthy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hardly wore my retainers at all (me being lazy) and I really regret it, considering I had braces for so long. I mainly had braces because of an accident I had though, so my teeth are still pretty OK now despite doing nothing, and I feel quite lucky. They're nowhere near as bad as they were before.
x-Disenchanted-x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been wearing mine every other night for 3 years.
I'm not actually entirely sure when to stop wearing them, so will probably be wearing dentures and racing around in my zimmerframe by the time I've realised I should stop...
wizz_kid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Retainers are given for a reason. That you wear them. If u didnt then thts ur loss. TOUGH.
Kash:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do wear my retainers... i've had them for about 3 years now.
But they are quite dirty, yes I do clean them, but I can't really get them to 'look like new'. And also I have some air bubbles in them, if you know what I mean??

They don't seem to be working as well now though, like they have stretched a bit becuase of wear. I have a gap in my teeth which never closes any more, like it did after my braces.

One of the reasons might be becuase I never had a case for them, if that would have made the difference, I don't know.

WOuld I be able to get new ones?
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
Well, I've learned a lesson from this.

OP some orthodontists sell retainers?
Kash:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kash:))
I do wear my retainers... i've had them for about 3 years now.
But they are quite dirty, yes I do clean them, but I can't really get them to 'look like new'. And also I have some air bubbles in them, if you know what I mean??

They don't seem to be working as well now though, like they have stretched a bit becuase of wear. I have a gap in my teeth which never closes any more, like it did after my braces.

One of the reasons might be becuase I never had a case for them, if that would have made the difference, I don't know.

WOuld I be able to get new ones?
BUMP

Would someone be able to help me with this query, cheers.
Magnanimity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You won't get braces on the NHS because you didn't hold up your end of the bargain - wearing a retainer.

You could go private or ask for a retainer to keep your teeth as they are now.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Magnanimity)
You won't get braces on the NHS because you didn't hold up your end of the bargain - wearing a retainer.

You could go private or ask for a retainer to keep your teeth as they are now.
Why do I hear people talking about having on and off treatment (yes NHS) then? I'm still 16 on a low income family so surely? I just regret it so bad, I was always bullied alot at school, depressed so I just couldn't be arsed...

And if I really can't how much would treatment cost on average...
poorlysparrows
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why do I hear people talking about having on and off treatment (yes NHS) then? I'm still 16 on a low income family so surely? I just regret it so bad, I was always bullied alot at school, depressed so I just couldn't be arsed...

And if I really can't how much would treatment cost on average...
I started a second course of treatment at 16 and got it on the NHS... but my teeth didn't move because I stopped wearing my retainer, I had back teeth come through that pushed them all out of shape so my retainer wouldn't fit anymore. I think my old orthodontist had expected something like it to happen, but he'd retired by the time I needed to go back, and my normal dentist who'd sent off the original referral had left as well, so I just got referred to a new surgery.

Even now, three and a half years after my last brace came off, even wearing my retainers every night my teeth still move. Apparently now it's because of impacted wisdom teeth!! So once they've come out I'm being referred to yet another orthodontist to see if I need to have more treatment! This time though I might have to pay, although he did say there was a chance I might not because I have a HC2 certificate.

Ohhh teeth, so much fun.
iturhs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
iv had the same issue as the OP... i wonder if i can still get treatment again aged 18 now ??

...theyve started moving again! i had braces at 12-13. i was told to wear them for 2 years which i did at 15 ...and then i didnt wear them and eventually lost them ...and when started moving (17) i was unable to find them ignored it and it got worse...
X
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)
24.69%
Jazz (33)
3.77%
Classical (49)
5.6%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.86%
Indie (143)
16.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise