Turn on thread page Beta

Would the political profession improve through being de-glamourised? watch

ReputationRep:
    When a politician takes up 10 Downing street, the chaffeur, and works in the prestigious house of commons, with all that history, tradition, "gravitas", glamour even, surrounding them, its a slight worry--Because-a) The media and politics having had extensive coverage in it for a long time now, many people are inevitably more like to be drawn into it for the prestige, the glamour, a career oppurtunity, than a sense of a social vision/conscience, and this must be more so than in the past. b) Even if they did go into it with noble, principled intentions, how do they remain in a sensible frame of mind, whilst being surrounding my such history, prestige, without slipping into crazed egotism?
    My solution, send them to debate in bog standard office blocks-might send them down to earth and make them focus on what they're doing. Don't offer them residences, turn the houses of parliament and Downing street homes into a museum, bring in more tourists, rake in the money.

ReputationRep:
    Or is it better just to make them more accountable somehow?

The prestige and 'glamour' is reflective of the status and power of UK inc. and if we look and act like a small trader we'll surely become a small trader.

ReputationRep:
    Making politics unfashionable would be a foolish move.

I find it deeply concerning that you dislike the grandeur of the houses of Parliament, one of the greatest and most historic buildings in the country.

I promise you that if the Houses were sacrificed and handed to tourism, not only would they be unaffordable, but the building would loose all significance!

If the UK had a "bog standard office block" as its Parliament then i'm sure tourism would take a huge hit, as well as peoples thoughts on the importance of politics!

What an awful idea...
    Some people on these forums have completely lost the plot.

I know, i think big ben makes London look a bit too posh and has too much prestige, why don't we shove an abseilling wire up the side and turn Parliament into a little adventure course?

Actually yeah, lets just get rid of Parliament, it's got a bit too much prestige, i don't think it's representative of the poor people in the country...

ReputationRep:
    send them into bog standard office blocks? what message would that send to the rest of the world? Britain would look a fool. i think that would be an appaling idea. Its not just about 'glamour' its about prestige, its a centre of government. think of all the history that surrounds the building - it would be lost. it's an ill thought out idea which makes little sense.

ReputationRep:
    I must say, i am disappointed kizdesai neg repped me for my comment, rather than bother to stand up for what he believes. Idiot.

And SophieD: I more or less agree with your comment, i certainly think that the home of Parliament should reflect the power that is vested within it.

ReputationRep:
    that was an accident, i was trying to +ve rep you in another thread (i beleive) but an advert popped up and caused it to f up. If rep means that much to you then i'll give it you another day

i know im a noob.

p.s i wouldnt neg rep anyone for a difference in opinion, unless i was seriously offended by it

edit: I'm also guessing you took the liberty of wiping 15/16th of my rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    that was an accident, i was trying to +ve rep you in another thread (i beleive) but an advert popped up and caused it to f up. If rep means that much to you then i'll give it you another day

i know im a noob.

p.s i wouldnt neg rep anyone for a difference in opinion, unless i was seriously offended by it

edit: I'm also guessing you took the liberty of wiping 15/16th of my rep
    Oh ok then...

It should have been 31 though, lol :flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Making politics unfashionable would be a foolish move.

I find it deeply concerning that you dislike the grandeur of the houses of Parliament, one of the greatest and most historic buildings in the country.
    The point about the museum was tounge in cheek, but people tend to take every statement literally on here at times......
    Was just making a point about the effect it has on people, particularly in the higher echelons. People have basically just agreed with me about its prestige, without answering my question about the psychological effect that has. Why would it be a foolish move to encourage people to have less superficial motivations for going into politics?-sounds sensible to me

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.