Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can it use it for electrons and negatively charged particles in general? cause my revision guide said its good for alpha particles and protons (which are both positively charged!)

ReputationRep:
    i thinks its any charged particles

ReputationRep:
    good for protons and alpha particles because of their mass. Electrons can be used, but their mass is pretty small and inadequate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah12345)
    i thinks its any charged particles
    thats what i thought! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    good for protons and alpha particles because of their mass. Electrons can be used, but their mass is pretty small and inadequate.

ahh.. ok.. that makes sense now..

oh and does anyone know a disadvantage of cyclotrons to say the linac or van de graff?

ReputationRep:
    Negatively charged particles will travel in the opposite direction to positively charged particles though (e.g. clockwise instead of anti-clockwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikemania)
    Negatively charged particles will travel in the opposite direction to positively charged particles though (e.g. clockwise instead of anti-clockwise).
    is that a disadvantage or a general point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roochis)
    ahh.. ok.. that makes sense now..

oh and does anyone know a disadvantage of cyclotrons to say the linac or van de graff?
    cyclotrons can only have the particles going up to energies around 25 MeV
    linac can go up to 50GeV

linacs take up too much space and are confined because of the curvature of the earth
    cyclotrons can be as big as you want them

i think cyclotrons are also more expensive, someone needs to confirm that though [i can see why it may be the case and why not aswell].

ReputationRep:
    not a disadvantage but a good point as particles can be collided together, thus making use of their energies more efficiently => the total momentum is zero.

ReputationRep:
    A general point, but I guess it could actually be considered an advantage, because you can have particles of different charges travelling in opposite directions in the same cyclotron, so that when they collide there will be more energy available to create new particles (than if a moving particle had collided with a stationary target).

ReputationRep:
    cyclotrons can only have the particles going up to energies around 25 MeV
    linac can go up to 50GeV

linacs take up too much space and are confined because of the curvature of the earth
    cyclotrons can be as big as you want them

i think cyclotrons are also more expensive, someone needs to confirm that though [i can see why it may be the case and why not aswell].
    i thought cyclotrons could accelerate up to 1000GeV? or am i thinking of something else.. the sync... whats it thing?

ReputationRep:
    i thought cyclotrons could accelerate up to 1000GeV? or am i thinking of something else.. the sync... whats it thing?
    the synchrotron can accelerate up to 1000GeV as the expensive powerful magnets are all around the circular path rather than 2 gaps between the dees where an alternate p.d is placed.

ReputationRep:
    synchotron can accelerate particles faster, because the electric field changes to account for the increase in mass/energy as the particle approaches relativistic speeds.

In a cyclotron the frequency that the electric field changes eventually gets out of phase with the frequency at which the particle(s) rotate(s).

ReputationRep:
    the synchrotron can accelerate up to 1000GeV as the expensive powerful magnets are all around the circular path rather than 2 gaps between the dees where an alternate p.d is placed.
    oh ok.. coool.. thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    the synchochon :rolleyes: is nearly up to being a teratron, ie producing 1 TeV protons. this is because the supply frequency can be altered to cope with the significant increases in mass that happen as v approaches c, whereas linacs and cyclachons have a constant frequency...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    the synchochon :rolleyes: is nearly up to being a teratron, ie producing 1 TeV protons. this is because the supply frequency can be altered to cope with the significant increases in mass that happen as v approaches c, whereas linacs and cyclachons have a constant frequency...
    whats the :rolleyes: face for lol

1000Gev = 1 TeV doesn't it? If not, then i know it's 1000GeV because i read it off my notes lol.

ReputationRep:
    SYNCHROTRON

1) Synchrotrons over come the problem of relativistic increase in mass by containing electromagnets which keep the particles moving in a circle. Electrodes accelerate the particles at various points on the loop.
    2) As the particles gain energy the magnetic field is increased to keep them moving in a circle of constant radius.
    3) Some synchotrons have two loops which overlap to collide particles and antiparticles head on. (1000 GeV)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    SYNCHROTRON

1) Synchrotrons over come the problem of relativistic increase in mass by containing electromagnets which keep the particles moving in a circle. Electrodes accelerate the particles at various points on the loop.
    2) As the particles gain energy the magnetic field is increased to keep them moving in a circle of constant radius.
    3) Some synchotrons have two loops which overlap to collide particles and antiparticles head on. (1000 GeV)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    question - this isn't on our syllabus is it?!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's in the OCR syllabus. It's in the textbook at least.
    Also, a disadvantage of the synchrotron is that the fast-moving charged particles emit 'synchrotron radiation', so they lose energy, and this energy has to be made up for by providing even more kinetic energy. So the acceleration on the particles is used to maintain the speed rather than increase it, when they are moving very fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikemania)
    I think it's in the OCR syllabus. It's in the textbook at least.
    Also, a disadvantage of the synchrotron is that the fast-moving charged particles emit 'synchrotron radiation', so they lose energy, and this energy has to be made up for by providing even more kinetic energy. So the acceleration on the particles is used to maintain the speed rather than increase it, when they are moving very fast.
    yeah.. i just found that in my revision guide..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.