Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Thankyou, can I PM you with it at some point? I'm trying and failing to revise for French at the mo, so it might not be until tomorrow after the exam
    Yeah, that's not a problem at all I'm going away on holiday on Friday to let you know, but we've got plenty of time to sort it out before then.
    I've been trying to look for radiotherapy PSs on studential but no luck so far (is it like physiotherapy? )
    Any chance of PMing me your original PS, so I could see what we can use from that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I thought you were from Norwich according to your profile.

It's more important to go to the uni where you like the course better. I turned down a somewhat presitigous one to a ex-poly (i.e. Lincoln), as the course content is more managable and the assessment methods are better. The employability and graduate pay is good too in the ex-poly.
    I was born in Bristol

And unfortunately it looks like I have no chance of getting in anywhere as I have no work experience - I've been trying for 2 months to get something and I've just had a call from the local hospital saying they can't accomodate me :bawling:

I'm still on a waiting list for another hospital but apart from that I haven't got any experience in a radiotherapy setting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Yeah, that's not a problem at all I'm going away on holiday on Friday to let you know, but we've got plenty of time to sort it out before then.
    I've been trying to look for radiotherapy PSs on studential but no luck so far (is it like physiotherapy? )
    Any chance of PMing me your original PS, so I could see what we can use from that?
    Errr slight problem there, my brother converted my comp to XP and lost all my work - my PS included, so I'll be going from scratch

ReputationRep:
    Ouch! That's .....rather unfortunate :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch! That's .....rather unfortunate :eek:
    Yup, I was not impressed as that work included half of my health and social care coursework!

ReputationRep:
    Mental note: Don't let anyone withing a 20foot radius of my PC :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Mental note: Don't let anyone withing a 20foot radius of my PC :eek:
    :rofl: seriously I wouldn't recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    I was born in Bristol

And unfortunately it looks like I have no chance of getting in anywhere as I have no work experience - I've been trying for 2 months to get something and I've just had a call from the local hospital saying they can't accomodate me :bawling:

I'm still on a waiting list for another hospital but apart from that I haven't got any experience in a radiotherapy setting.

Errr slight problem there, my brother converted my comp to XP and lost all my work - my PS included, so I'll be going from scratch
    Ok then. How come you moved to Norwich?

If they don't accept you because of the work experience matter, I guess you could re-apply for 2006 entry. Since you are deferring entry, you could say that you are going to do some work experience during your gap year.

Don't worry, I found a site that will help you on what to write in your personal statement. http://www.ucas.com/getting/apply05/howtoapply05.pdf (scroll down until you see a personal statement section. It tells you what to include if you forget what to write about - kind of like a check list). Alternatively, if you have a copy at school/college, use that instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Ok then. How come you moved to Norwich?

If they don't accept you because of the work experience matter, I guess you could re-apply for 2006 entry. Since you are deferring entry, you could say that you are going to do some work experience during your gap year.

Don't worry, I found a site that will help you on what to write in your personal statement. http://www.ucas.com/getting/apply05/howtoapply05.pdf (scroll down until you see a personal statement section. It tells you what to include if you forget what to write about - kind of like a check list). Alternatively, if you have a copy at school/college, use that instead.
    My Dad got a better job in Norwich when I was 2 weeks old so we moved

You're an angel, and absolute angel I'm halfway through my first draft of the new PS... would you please be able to have a look at it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    My Dad got a better job in Norwich when I was 2 weeks old so we moved

You're an angel, and absolute angel I'm halfway through my first draft of the new PS... would you please be able to have a look at it?
    Thanks. Sure, I could check it for you! You are quite quick already (i.e. halfway through your new PS).

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is my first draft...

I have always been interested in the caring professions, and radiotherapy has stood out as being one of the most rewarding. Pursuing a career in radiotherapy would allow me to really make a difference to people’s lives, and the way that you are involved with every aspect of the treatment really appeals to me. I like the idea of being able to build a relationship with the patient and to help them understand what the treatment involves in order to put them at their ease. I am currently in the waiting list for work experience at my local hospital. I am applying for deferred entry in order to take some time out from studying, and increase my experience in a caring environment through volunteer work.

I have completed a-levels in Biology and French, and AS levels in Geography, Chemistry, and Health and Social Care. I chose sciences because they have always fascinated me, and biology in particular has been extremely enjoyable to study, and being able to use my knowledge to help people. Health and Social Care has been invaluable in developing my communication skills, and what is appropriate in a care setting. I achieved full marks for my coursework project on the Ashcroft Project, an organisation for women with mental illnesses requiring long-term care. My study of Chemistry has given me a deeper breadth of scientific understanding which compliments my love of biology. French has given me analytical skills and helped with my ability to communicate both written and verbally.

Outside of my academic studies, I have maintained my commitment to the caring professions. I regularly help at a supervised consumption centre for drug users, and completed a piece of coursework about communication on the centre. I work part time in a bar, and this has taught me time management, and to work effectively as part of a team, and I was awarded “employee of the month” for May. I enjoy sport, particularly football and swimming, and I see university as a fantastic opportunity to develop my sports skills and to learn some new ones. I also love music, I play the violin to grade 6 standard and I would be interested in joining the university orchestra.

Finally, I believe that I would be suitable for a career in radiotherapy as I am caring, compassionate, conscientious, and committed; I really want to make a difference….. Don’t know what to put here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)

Pursuing a career in radiotherapy would allow me to really make a difference to people’s lives, and being involved with every aspect of the treatment really appeals to me. I have always been interested in the caring professions, and radiotherapy has stood out as being one of the most rewarding. I like the idea of being able to build a relationship with the patient and to help them understand what the treatment involves in order to put them at ease. I am applying for deferred entry in order to increase my experience in a caring environment through volunteer work, for example, I am currently on the waiting list for work experience at my local hospital.

I have completed A-levels in Biology and French, and AS levels in Geography, Chemistry, and Health and Social Care. I chose science subjects as they have always interested me. In particular, biology has been extremely enjoyable to study, and I feel it will enable me to use my knowledge to help people. Health and Social Care has given me great insight into what is appropriate in a care setting., while also being invaluable in developing my communication skills. My enthusiasm for this subject helped me achieve full marks for my coursework project on the Ashcroft Project, an organisation for women with mental illnesses requiring long-term care. Chemistry has given me a deeper breadth of scientific understanding, complimenting my love of biology. My analytical skills have been developed through my study of French, which has also helped improve both my written and verbaly communication.

Outside of my academic studies, I maintain my commitment to the caring professions by regularly helping at a supervised consumption centre for drug users, which led me to do a piece of coursework about communication in the centre. Working part time in a bar has taught me time management, and to work effectively as part of a team, culminating in winning an Employee of the Month Award. I enjoy sport, particularly football and swimming, and I see university as a fantastic opportunity to develop my sports skills in addition to learning some new ones. I also love music, and play the violin to grade 6 standard. I would be interested in joining the university orchestra.

Finally, I believe that I would be suitable for a career in radiotherapy as I am a caring, compassionate, conscientious, and committed person.
    I've made a few little changes to it
    Needs a little more at the end to round it off (but without using the same words as the begining e.g. making a differnce).
    Overall, some good stuff

ReputationRep:
    You could include what you want to do after university and maybe what you want to do as a career after your degree.

ReputationRep:
    I've made a few little changes to it
    Needs a little more at the end to round it off (but without using the same words as the begining e.g. making a differnce).
    Overall, some good stuff
    Right here is my second draft (so much for the French revision :rolleyes: ) as it's going to be sent in an email there's no word limit... This is exactly what I'll be sending unless you have any more changes to make

I know I’ve left this application late, and for this I can only apologise, but I would really appreciate it if you would consider me for a place on your radiotherapy course.

My original UCAS application was for languages as you’ll have seen, however throughout this year it has become more and more apparent to me that I would prefer to use my career to give something back, to make a real positive difference to people’s lives, and pursuing a course in radiotherapy would allow me to do this. Having the opportunity to build a rapport with the patients, being able to support them throughout their treatment and the way that the radiographer is involved throughout the treatment really appeals to me. I am also fascinated by the technological aspect of the course; it will be a new experience to learn how to use such hi-tech equipment when the furthest I’ve got is my ipod!

I am currently on the waiting list for work experience at my local hospital, however I already have extensive experience in a caring environment; I have undertaken regular work experience in both physiotherapy and drug treatment centres. I am applying for deferred entry in order to take some time out from studying, and to increase my experience in a caring environment through volunteer work. I also intend to take an AS in Psychology to widen my understanding of patient’s psychological needs during treatment, and to allow me to provide a better level of support.

I have completed A-levels in Biology and French, and AS levels in Geography, Chemistry, and Health and Social Care. Biology has been extremely enjoyable to study, and I would love to be able to apply my knowledge to help people. Health and Social Care has been invaluable in developing my communication skills, and developing an understanding of care settings. I achieved full marks for my coursework on the Ashcroft Project, an organisation for women with mental illnesses requiring long-term care. My study of Chemistry has widened my breadth of scientific understanding which compliments my love of Biology. My analytical skills have developed through the study of French, which has also benefited both my written and verbal communication skills.

Outside of my academic studies, I have maintained my commitment to the caring professions by regularly helping at a supervised consumption centre for drug users, which I find very rewarding. Working part time in a bar has taught me time management, and to work effectively as part of a team, culminating in winning an Employee of the Month Award.

I enjoy sport, particularly football and swimming, and I see university as a fantastic opportunity to develop my sports skills and to learn some new ones. I also love music, I play the violin to grade 6 standard and I would like to join the university orchestra. I was appointed as a prefect at my high school, and I was also involved in peer counselling for the lower years. At sixth form I have represented the school at a girl’s football tournament, and helped out in lower year classes.

Finally, I believe that I would be suitable for a career in radiotherapy as I am caring, compassionate, conscientious, and committed. I have a genuine passion for Biology and how it can be used to benefit people’s lives. I get on with a wide range of people and have excellent communication skills. I plan to use my degree to work in a hospital environment. I would love to come to Liverpool University because of its academic reputation, the friendliness of the staff and students, and the beauty, culture, and vivacity of the city.

ReputationRep:
    I've made a few more changes

(Original post by twiga)
    I know I have left this application late, and for this I can only apologise, but I would really appreciate it if you would consider me for a place on your radiotherapy course.

As you will have seen, my original UCAS application was for languages. However, throughout this year it has become increasingly apparent to me that I would prefer to use my career to give something back, to make a real positive difference to people’s lives, and pursuing a course in radiotherapy would allow me to do this. Having the opportunity to build a rapport with the patients, being able to support them throughout their treatment and the way that the radiographer is involved throughout the treatment really appeals to me. I am also keen to study the technological aspect of the course; it will be a new and fascinating experience to learn how to use such hi-tech equipment when the closest I have come to such equipment is my ipod!

I already have extensive experience in a caring environment; I have undertaken regular work experience in both physiotherapy and drug treatment centres and am currently on the waiting list for work experience at my local hospital. I am applying for deferred entry in order to increase my experience in a caring environment through volunteer work. I also intend to take an AS in Psychology to widen my understanding of patient’s psychological needs during treatment, and to allow me to provide a better level of support.

I have completed A-levels in Biology and French, and AS levels in Geography, Chemistry, and Health and Social Care. Biology has been extremely enjoyable to study, and I would love to be able to apply my knowledge to help people. Health and Social Care has been invaluable in developing my communication skills, and developing an understanding of care settings. I achieved full marks for my coursework on the Ashcroft Project, an organisation for women with mental illnesses requiring long-term care. My study of Chemistry has widened my breadth of scientific understanding which compliments my love of Biology. My analytical skills have developed through the study of French, which has also benefited both my written and verbal communication skills.

Outside of my academic studies, I have maintained my commitment to the caring professions by regularly helping at a supervised consumption centre for drug users, which I find very rewarding. Working part time in a bar has taught me time management, and to work effectively as part of a team, culminating in winning an Employee of the Month Award.

I enjoy sport, particularly football and swimming, and I see university as a fantastic opportunity to develop my sports skills and to learn some new ones. I also love music, and I play the violin to grade 6 standard and I would like to join the university orchestra. I was appointed as a prefect at my high school, and I was also involved in peer counselling for the lower years. At sixth form, I have represented the school at a girl’s football tournament, and helped out in lower year classes.

I believe that I would be suitable for a career in radiotherapy as I am caring, compassionate, conscientious, and committed. I have a genuine passion for Biology and how it can be used to benefit people’s lives. I get on with a wide range of people and have excellent communication skills. My long-term plans are to use my degree to work in a hospital environment.

I would love to come to Liverpool University because of its academic reputation, the friendliness of the staff and students, and the beauty, culture, and vivacity of the city.
    I would mention the experience you have rather than the stuff you're waiting for so it sounds like you have more experience.
    I would mention that you are deferring to take time out from studying - it sounds a bit like you don't want to study, which obviously isn't what a tutor wants to read!
    Saying "keen to study" rather than fascinated in conjunction with the ipod anecdote, suggesting that you're just looking for an opportunity to learn about technology rather than being a bit inept (I'm sure you're not!) I moved the fascinating to the next part of the sentence.
    Changed a couple of things that were a bit informal.
    You don't say anything about studying geography? Has that improved any of your skills or interested you in something?
    What did you help out in lower classes with? That seems a bit vague.
    Saying you get on with a wide range of people sounds a bit iffy...maybe say something like you are friendly and approachable which would be suited to a future in the caring professions?
    I think the bit about Liverpool seems a bit tacked on at the end and doesn't really conclude very well. It might be better as a second paragraph I think.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I would put the Liverpool statement as the first paragraph. My friend put a uni statement like that in the first paragraph. She still got an offer for that uni (i.e. UWE to do Midwifery).

ReputationRep:
    I know I have left this application late, and for this I can only apologise, but I would really appreciate it if you would consider me for a place on your radiotherapy course. I would love to come to Liverpool University because of its academic reputation, the friendliness of the staff and students, and the beauty, culture, and vivacity of the city.

As you will have seen, my original UCAS application was for languages. However, throughout this year it has become increasingly apparent to me that I would prefer to use my career to give something back, to make a real positive difference to people’s lives, and pursuing a course in radiotherapy would allow me to do this. Having the opportunity to build a rapport with the patients, being able to support them throughout their treatment and the way that the radiographer is involved throughout the treatment really appeals to me. I am also keen to study the technological aspect of the course; it will be a new and fascinating experience to learn how to use such hi-tech equipment when the closest I have come to such equipment is my ipod!

I already have extensive experience in a caring environment; I have undertaken regular work experience in both physiotherapy and drug treatment centres and am currently on the waiting list for work experience at my local hospital. I am applying for deferred entry in order to increase my experience in a caring environment through volunteer work. I also intend to take an AS in Psychology to widen my understanding of patient’s psychological needs during treatment, and to allow me to provide a better level of support.

I have completed A-levels in Biology and French, and AS levels in Geography, Chemistry, and Health and Social Care. Biology has been extremely enjoyable to study, and I would love to be able to apply my knowledge to help people. Health and Social Care has been invaluable in developing my communication skills, and developing an understanding of care settings. I achieved full marks for my coursework on the Ashcroft Project, an organisation for women with mental illnesses requiring long-term care. My study of Chemistry has widened my breadth of scientific understanding which compliments my love of Biology. My analytical skills have developed through the study of Geography and French, and French has also benefited both my written and verbal communication skills.

I enjoy sport, particularly football and swimming, and I see university as a fantastic opportunity to develop my sports skills and to learn some new ones, and I am a devoted follower of Norwich City Football Club through the highs and lows. I also love music, I play the violin to grade 6 standard and I would like to join the university orchestra. I was appointed as a prefect at my high school, and I was also involved in peer counselling for the lower years. At sixth form, I have represented the school at a girl’s football tournament, and helped out in lower year science and French classes.

I believe that I would be suitable for a career in radiotherapy as I am caring, compassionate, conscientious, and committed. I have a genuine passion for Biology and how it can be used to benefit people’s lives. I have excellent communication skills, and I am friendly and approachable which would be suited to a future in the caring professions. My long-term plans are to use my degree to work in a hospital environment to provide competent and effective treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Just out f interest will yoube doing diagnostic or therapeutic radiography?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty damn good. Maybe that last little bit could be something like "A degree in radiotherapy would help me achieve my long-term goal of working in a hospital environment to provide competent and effective treatment to patients."

Yay! We got it done way ahead of schedule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    Just out f interest will yoube doing diagnostic or therapeutic radiography?
    Therapeutic

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.