Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has everybody heard about magic mushrooms being made illegal on the 18th of july??!!

Its just Ridiculous,they are being classed A along with Heroin and LSD!

And the Labour government have no eveidence that it is even mildly harmful to users. Claiming that it causes mental health issues! (which is proved not to be true)

What are everyones views on the subject?

(im sorry mods if its in the wrong section! lol)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Erm... sorry about that...

I suppose if there is a chance people could be harmed by them then they should be illegal

ReputationRep:
    Is there an article about mushrooms being bad for us? Mushrooms are good on soup and makes it taste better... why ban em?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i'd heard.

To be honest i know a fair few people who have ended up really messed up when on 'shrooms. Equally though I know people who are fine on them.

Personally when theres a will to get something theres a way. Just because they're illegal doesn't mean they'll be impossible to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    Erm... sorry about that...

I suppose if there is a chance people could be harmed by them then they should be illegal

no it shouldnt, because there isnt proof that they harm people, even after loads of tests. only people using it irresponsibly could be at risk (chavs! lol) and kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    Is there an article about mushrooms being bad for us? Mushrooms are good on soup and makes it taste better... why ban em?
    i assume ur talking of the non magic kind!

ReputationRep:
    heres the article

Last orders for magic mushroom enthusiasts

Mark Honigsbaum
    Saturday June 25, 2005
    Guardian

Bad news for psychedelic fungi fans. There are just 24 more shopping days before magic mushrooms are declared illegal - and that's official. Ignoring pleas from mushroom retailers and consumers, the government yesterday announced that clause 21 of the Drugs Act 2005, reclassifying psilocybe mushrooms as a class A drug alongside heroin and crack cocaine, will come into force on July 18.

From that date, importation, possession or sale of magic mushrooms will be punishable by a life sentence, effectively outlawing sales via market stalls, head shops and the internet.

Laying the statutory instrument before parliament, the Home Office said the only exception would be for wild mushrooms, growing on uncultivated land.

Landowners who are unaware they have a controlled substance, or who pick the mushrooms with the intention of delivering them to the police, will also be exempted.

Transform, the drug policy group which has been a vocal critic of clause 21, immediately condemned the Home Office's decision, saying the exemptions did little to clarify what it considered flawed legislation.

"How is someone supposed to know what is uncultivated?" asked Transform's director, Danny Kushnick. "This has nothing to do with clarifying the law or goods drugs policy. It's simply about shutting down vendors who have been selling mushrooms."

The Entheogen Defence Fund, a group set up to protect the interests of mushroom retailers and consumers, said the announcement would make no difference to its campaign to have clause 21 overturned through judicial review.

Declaring criminalisation of magic mushrooms a retrograde step, it predicted the reclassification would simply encourage more youngsters to try ecstasy, LSD, heroin and cocaine.

"The sale of 100,000 kilos of magic mushrooms per annum has had a big impact on the reduction of the illegal use of soft and hard drugs," said EDF's chairman, Mike Bashall. "Expect more crime and more deaths related to illegal drugs."

Backed by Dutch wholesalers, for whom the UK has become a lucrative export market for psychedelic fungi, the EDF has raised £10,000 to challenge the British legislation. It points out that in the Netherlands the sale of magic mushrooms is legal and says that clause 21 could be in breach of European Union law making it illegal to place restrictions on free trade except in specific circumstances, such as for the protection of health and life.

Caroline Flint, the Home Office minister, who spearheaded the legislation through parliament shortly before the general election, said mushrooms could trigger psychosis and there was evidence users could be at risk of self-harm.

However, a Dutch study found no evidence to link magic mushrooms with psychosis and said that mushrooms did not lower users' violence threshold.

Since consumption usually took place at home or in the open air, "there is no inconvenience to other people," it concluded.

SocietyGuardian.co.uk © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    no it shouldnt, because there isnt proof that they harm people, even after loads of tests. only people using it irresponsibly could be at risk (chavs! lol) and kids.
    But there is still a risk. You said so yourself here. Therefore they shouldn't be allowed!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nasht)
    Non magic mushrooms are good for your heart

ReputationRep:
    IMO somebody really needs to sort out the classifying system for drugs. It's just insane - how are shrooms as harmful as crack? E or coke as harmful as heroin? And surely speed's just as bad, if not worse, than some of the class As? They need to put in a few extra classes and rethink which drugs go where.

skevvybritt x

ReputationRep:
    But there is still a risk. You said so yourself here. Therefore they shouldn't be allowed!
    i dont see why it should be made illegal just because some people are using it irresponsibly! What about the vast majority of sensible people.

i mean it shouldnt be classed as class A at least. Its exactly the same as cannabis and thats a B!

i just think its just plain stupid! Alcohol is way more harmful and people use that irrrsponsibly (i dont see that bein illegal!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    IMO somebody really needs to sort out the classifying system for drugs. It's just insane - how are shrooms as harmful as crack? E or coke as harmful as heroin? And surely speed's just as bad, if not worse, than some of the class As? They need to put in a few extra classes and rethink which drugs go where.

skevvybritt x

totally....

labour just have no idea.

if anything cannabis and mushrooms should be at the bottom of the classes! they are less harmfull than alcohol!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I agree that drug classification is crazy, but only because it implies that some drugs are safer than others. In my opinion, anything which could cause mental illness or death should be banned unless it has a medical use.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that drug classification is crazy, but only because it implies that some drugs are safer than others. In my opinion, anything which could cause mental illness or death should be banned unless it has a medical use.
    Some drugs ARE safer than others. You'd want children thinking that injecting heroin will cause the same amount of damage as smoking a spliff?
    Drugs like crack and heroin destroy lives. It's hardly on the same scale as a night out with some shrooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    totally....

labour just have no idea.

if anything cannabis and mushrooms should be at the bottom of the classes! they are less harmfull than alcohol!
    Too true
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    Some drugs ARE safer than others. You'd want children thinking that injecting heroin will cause the same amount of damage as smoking a spliff?
    Drugs like crack and heroin destroy lives. It's hardly on the same scale as a night out with some shrooms.
    It's still dangerous!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cannabis ruins lives. Alcohol Ruins lives. It just takes longer.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, anything which could cause mental illness or death should be banned unless it has a medical use.
    It isn't going to stop people taking them though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What would you do to stop people taking drugs?!? TELL ME THAT!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.