Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    i did actually and it was all bo*****s! lol
    Why did you think that?

ReputationRep:
    we used to have a shop on the bristol road called "The Amsterdam Of London"... weirdly its in birmingham...

gone now but they used to sell it

saw if when i went to college every day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Why did you think that?
    lol i was going to change that post!

erm basically. i dont like the governments views on cannabis and other drugs, they assume they are bad for you (well cannabis and shrooms) without proper research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    we used to have a shop on the bristol road called "The Amsterdam Of London"... weirdly its in birmingham...

gone now but they used to sell it

saw if when i went to college every day

we have one in torquay called space, its a gr8 shop(with clothes too) i dont want it to be closed down!

ReputationRep:
    and its a fact that things like cannabis are not addictive.
    ********. So because you know people who haven;t been harmed it's a fact?

I smoke, alot of friends do. I have an old circle of friends, they're lives are now NOTHING. Everyday they smoke copious amounts, if they can't get it they sell any of their items, or trek for miles to pick up, if it aint addiction i don't know what it is.

In my experience, anyone with drive/something to do, a secure and strong mind can smoke and be unaffected, but to say it ain't possible to get addicted is stupid. Self-control. Oh, and surely if they've been doing it for years it must be saying something?

As for shrooms, im not fussed.

"Magic mushrooms are a drug...i thought they were already illegal? "

They were sold in loads of places as 'experiments' ie. the buyer had to dry them out before the shrooms were potent/ready. Unprocessed, fresh magic mushrooms are legal in many countries.

ReputationRep:
    lol i was going to change that post!

erm basically. i dont like the governments views on cannabis and other drugs, they assume they are bad for you (well cannabis and shrooms) without proper research.
    But thats the point there has been a lot of research, people have been shown to become psychotic after smoking cannabis (i'm not going to comment on magic mushrooms as i don't know much about them and i don't think they are as widespreedly used as cannabis).

Maybe this should go to D + D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    I smoke, alot of friends do. I have an old circle of friends, they're lives are now NOTHING. Everyday they smoke copious amounts, if they can't get it they sell any of their items, or trek for miles to pick up, if it aint addiction i don't know what it is.
    well its not the drug that does that, they obviusly smoke it in such huge amounts that it becomes harmful (i dont think that ive made it clear that i only support cannabis in small amounts)

ReputationRep:
    "Monkey lever

When saline was substituted for the cocaine, the monkeys stopped pressing the lever.

But when the salt solution was swapped for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - the active ingredient in cannabis - they quickly started activating the lever again.

In a typical one-hour session, they gave themselves 30 shots of THC - the equivalent in body size to an adult human smoking a marijuana cigarette.

The researchers also showed that the monkeys' compulsion for THC was reduced when they were given a second drug that blocks receptors on the cannabinoid receptors in the brain.

Lead researcher Dr Steven Goldberg told BBC News Online: "We compared the intensity of behaviour we that got with THC with the intensity of behaviour we got under exactly the same conditions with cocaine in another group of monkeys.

"We found the levels of behaviour were identical in the two groups of animals.

"So basically this is the first clear demonstration that the active ingredient in marijuana will maintain drug taking behaviour in experimental animals, and it indicates - from a pre-clinical standpoint - that it has the same potential for abuse that other drugs such as heroin and cocaine do."

Dr Goldberg admitted that his research could not take into account the social factors that would inevitably come into play when assessing the potential for abuse of cannabis among human users. "

It doesn't take long until google brings arguements for and against the addiction arguement.

So, even if you say the amount, that means a law would have to take in for that, "oh jimmy, you only smoked this much so it's not addictive, ergo we won't prosecute" :rolleyes:

You either ban it all or nothing.

ReputationRep:
    well its not the drug that does that, they obviusly smoke it in such huge amounts that it becomes harmful (i dont think that ive made it clear that i only support cannabis in small amounts)
    Some people can handle big amounts, some people can't. Therefore i think that its right that people are made aware that at the end of the day it can be dangerous, as you don't know how it will affect you.

I think its also important to remember that many heroin and other class A drug takers started on cannabis, thinking it was just a bit of fun.

ReputationRep:
    there is actualy a lil chucnk it my psychology book about cannabis not actualy being addictive

::goes to find book :: *to big to scan lol*

btw i don't support it at all not even in tiny amounts!

ReputationRep:
    I think its also important to remember that many heroin and other class A drug takers started on cannabis, thinking it was just a bit of fun.
    That's just a scare story... heroin users will end up on heroin with or without cannabis' help. It's not to do with the drug, but your state of mind - if you feel the need to escape for a while you will do it any way you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    there is actualy a lil chucnk it my psychology book about cannabis not actualy being addictive

::goes to find book ::

btw i don't support it at all not even in tiny amounts!
    It depends what you're personality is. Some people have a pre-disposition to get addicted, just like others have a pre-disposition to getting depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    I agree that drug classification is crazy, but only because it implies that some drugs are safer than others. In my opinion, anything which could cause mental illness or death should be banned unless it has a medical use.
    Exactly, I believe that the government has a duty to care and protect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    That's just a scare story... heroin users will end up on heroin with or without cannabis' help. It's not to do with the drug, but your state of mind - if you feel the need to escape for a while you will do it any way you can.
    I'm just pointing out that a lot of people start on cannabis. I wouldn't have thought that many people go straight to taking heroin, although correct me if i'm getting this completely wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I'm with you on that one.

Problem is, if the government tries to ban something, it just becomes more available on the black market.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just pointing out that a lot of people start on cannabis. I wouldn't have thought that many people go straight to taking heroin, although correct me if i'm getting this completely wrong!
    Nope you're completely right.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, of course not. But what I'm saying is that cannabis is not at fault here. If it was not around people would find another way to escape from their own heads.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you on that one.

Problem is, if the government tries to ban something, it just becomes more available on the black market.
    Yeah I see that's a valid argument. I suppose you've just got to work out what way is gonna have less people using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I don't think that anyone is questioning that, rather the fact that shrooms are being classed as a Class A drug along with crack and herion. This sends the message that they are just as harmful as each other, and surely needs questioning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    Oh no, of course not. But what I'm saying is that cannabis is not at fault here. If it was not around people would find another way to escape from their own heads.
    I don't doubt it at all. What people have to find out is why people turn to drugs like cannabis to get out of their heads.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.