Turn on thread page Beta

The new laws are far from simple to understand now are they. whats the betting the police do little to the home user, and instead crack down on the muppets making a show of still selling them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    Really what's needed is more research, but that's been rather hard to do since Timothy Leary ruined things back in the acid heyday.
    Whatever happened to the acid heyday? So much promise... and now I don't know anyone whose even witnessed someone do it.

*Goes out to look for a Dealer who knows something about niche marketing*

ReputationRep:
    cracking down on the dealers is what people are worried about. prices go up and sources become tight.

i think its quite simple really....

do you really need it in your life.... if yes then get some help.. if not why take it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Exactly. Why take something that could ruin your life or your sanity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Whatever happened to the acid heyday? So much promise... and now I don't know anyone whose even witnessed someone do it.

*Goes out to look for a Dealer who knows something about niche marketing*
    The acid heyday crashed because Timothy Leary started trying to turn into some wacky spiritual experience instead of doing objective research like he was meant to, the US government went "Woah, this guy's nuts, we're not using this stuff," and slapped it on the scheduled substances list, the rest of the western world followed, and the whole thing became scientifically taboo before it even got off the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    Why drink then? I mean, alcohol is far riskier, you can die simlpy from consuming too much, neither LSD nor Psilocybin are feasible for overdosing on, you'd have to consume several times your own body mass to hit a lethal dosage and even then your body would simply be react by throwing up long before you could get close to such a volume. Not to mention of course liver failure, alcohol induced crimes, alcoholism, or drink driving.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Why drink then? I mean, alcohol is far riskier, you can die simlpy from consuming too much, neither LSD nor Psilocybin are feasible for overdosing on, you'd have to consume several times your own body mass to hit a lethal dosage and even then your body would simply be react by throwing up long before you could get close to such a volume. Not to mention of course liver failure, alcohol induced crimes, alcoholism, or drink driving.
    Did I say drink was a good thing? When I said why take something if it will ruin your sanity or health I was referring to ALL drugs including alcohol. I myself don't drink and probrably never will.

ReputationRep:
    Did I say drink was a good thing? When I said why take something if it will ruin your sanity or health I was referring to ALL drugs including alcohol. I myself don't drink and probrably never will.
    ah right. A crazy nanny.

ReputationRep:
    Why drink then? I mean, alcohol is far riskier, you can die simlpy from consuming too much, neither LSD nor Psilocybin are feasible for overdosing on, you'd have to consume several times your own body mass to hit a lethal dosage and even then your body would simply be react by throwing up long before you could get close to such a volume. Not to mention of course liver failure, alcohol induced crimes, alcoholism, or drink driving
    All of the above can be caused by drug taking as well - drug induced crimes (e.g. prostitution to get money for a drug fix), drug addiction, people drive under the influence of drugs and cause accidents too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Yes, there are risks in life, i mean you could step out your door and get run over by a bus. But why smoke cannabis or take other drugs when you know that there are risks?
    Because its their own body and as such they should do what they please with it?

I'm surprised to see comments about cannabis being the starter of getting into drugs. I always thought alcohol is the most common starting drug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asadtamimi)
    yea definitely drugs need to be banned - and people who get caught with them need proper punishment - a stupid fine will not do the trick - i know so many people who lives have been ruined by drugs etc and they still take it and neva learn? They dont even bother going to rehab centres
    You support prohibition?

ReputationRep:
    i don't see any easy answer to this problem

if the laws are too harsh then the problem is driven more underground - look at prohibition in america and what that did! Also because these laws against drugs are extremely hard to implement and so people don't really get scared of the consequences. also, however strong the laws it wont solve the problem!

if the laws are too soft then people will say that it's alright to take drugs and you'll get what happens in amsterdam where you have more people selling drugs at markets than not!!!

there has to be some middle line. i agree that fine, prison and branding people that take drugs as complete lunatics that are wholly responsible for all crime in this country will solve nothing. to be honest, i think rehabilitation is the best option as at least it gets to the actual issue and helps people quit drugs. Bearing in mind how addictive drugs are i think you are a little harsh about your opinions... (see asadtamimi's quote in the above post)

i also think that recovered drug users should be sent to secondary secondary school because to give an insight to teenagers to what drugs are really like as i think that it's a big pathetic how little schools do to help... btw, it's only older after you've seen what this **** has done to people that it completely puts of you taking everything. I doubt naive 13 year olds at parties would share the same views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    Has everybody heard about magic mushrooms being made illegal on the 18th of july??!!

Its just Ridiculous,they are being classed A along with Heroin and LSD!

And the Labour government have no eveidence that it is even mildly harmful to users. Claiming that it causes mental health issues! (which is proved not to be true)

What are everyones views on the subject?

(im sorry mods if its in the wrong section! lol)
    Prepared they are ALREADY class A and have been for a while
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    ah right. A crazy nanny.
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe so many people are lumping magic mushrooms and cannabis together, and saying that the law should treat them in the same way... Im not sure about the long term effects, sometimes cannabis is linked to cancer and schizophrenia, but its also been linked to better heart health, and little research has been done into shrooms' long term effects.

However, the level of "intoxication" is far higher with mushrooms than weed. i smoke a fair amount, as do many of my friends, and we all agree that mushrooms are an infinitely stronger experience.. even really good weed is pretty mild in comparisson.
    with shrooms though you're take to a completely different level. its a lot more intense, a lot longer, and a totally different experience... can be incredibly good fun..
    since neither of the drugs are addictive for most people, im not sure whether the legislation relates to the level of intoxication or the long term health effects... but shrooms are definitely much stronger in the short term, tripping on shrooms is a really powerful experience, and cannabis is more of an experience enhancer...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cannabis CAN be addictive, and a lot of people ARE addicted to it!

ReputationRep:
    The misinformation in this topic is almost enough to make me cry.

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis CAN be addictive, and a lot of people ARE addicted to it!
    Please, please, shut up. This is such a hideous barefaced lie. The only sense in which it is addictive is that sometimes a toker who can't get hold of some weed may start thinking "man, I wish I were high". Well blow me down! Next we should outlaw sex and sky-diving! Have you ever heard of someone who actually *wants* to quit smoking weed but just can't? Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Because you want to? As an adult we have that right.

A better question: What gives you the right to judge what is better for someone else? Why should you have the right to tell them what is good for them and what they are allowed to do to their own selves?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    Please, please, shut up. This is such a hideous barefaced lie. The only sense in which it is addictive is that sometimes a toker who can't get hold of some weed may start thinking "man, I wish I were high". Well blow me down! Next we should outlaw sex and sky-diving! Have you ever heard of someone who actually *wants* to quit smoking weed but just can't? Of course not.
    There are clinics for people who are cannabis addicts in America, why do people go there if they're not addicted?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.