Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    The question specifically asked for T2 against l. S marks may be lost if people did l against T2.

Is T2 not plotted against l whichever way round it is? If not, what is T2 against l supposed to mean? T2 on the vertical or horizontal axis?

I never specified which way up my graph paper should be held though I don't think marks should be lost for writing sideways.

ReputationRep:
    i think i put T2 on the y axis, because when you reareanged the equation given to y = mx +c form, then the T2 was like the y and l had a coeficcient, which is the gradient.
    thats how i did it anyway, i would have thought it does matter which way round you did the graph because then the gradient would be the wrong way round

How did everyone explain the last question about some of the oxygen molecules escaping from the moons surface? i couldnt work out what to say because i worked out that the kinetic ebergy provided byt the temperature of 400K was less than the gravitationale potential energy, and i thought it had to be more in order to escape :confused: perhaps i did summat wrong :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i messed up on that last question, because i started talking about escape velocity :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemm)
    How did everyone explain the last question about some of the oxygen molecules escaping from the moons surface? i couldnt work out what to say because i worked out that the kinetic ebergy provided byt the temperature of 400K was less than the gravitationale potential energy, and i thought it had to be more in order to escape :confused: perhaps i did summat wrong :rolleyes:

I got the KE as less than the gravitational PE too. The KE though is an average energy of the particles. I wrote that although the mean KE is lower than the GPE, some particles will have energy higher than the mean and so some will escape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davedave)
    Is T2 not plotted against l whichever way round it is? If not, what is T2 against l supposed to mean? T2 on the vertical or horizontal axis?

I never specified which way up my graph paper should be held though I don't think marks should be lost for writing sideways.
    I did statistics in A-level Maths (S1 specifically) and remember that "T2 against l" will mean the former will be on the y-axis and the latter will be on the x-axis.

Besides, it was obvious that it should be like that. The equation was in the form y = mx + c. Exam technique will tell you that you shouldn't have to start doing "1 ÷ gradient = ..." and "the x-intercept = ..." because not everyone taking Physics will be good at maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    I did statistics in A-level Maths (S1 specifically) and remember that "T2 against l" will mean the former will be on the y-axis and the latter will be on the x-axis.

Besides, it was obvious that it should be like that. The equation was in the form y = mx + c. Exam technique will tell you that you shouldn't have to start doing "1 ÷ gradient = ..." and "the x-intercept = ..." because not everyone taking Physics will be good at maths!

Yeah I realise it wasn't the best way to do it, but realised this too late. The next part of the question being over the page didn't help

I'm just not sure that there is anything technically wrong with doing it the other way (so should still get the marks).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.