Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    What makes it an Islamic country?
    Where they practice Islamic law as opposed to secular law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    You dont think it should be avoided when it comes to the Judicial system if possible? What are the PROS of allowing such documents to be posted in public in a court, that is supposed to be seen to treat all people equally, those of certain faiths and those of none? Why suffer the offence, and image of impartiality it may cause? TO placate those who are Christian?
    So, would you apply the same wish not to offend Christians as you would to our Hindu friends (all five of them that actually give a toss)?

The removal of the Ten Commandments from courtrooms might offend some Christians; should we go to the same lengths not to offend them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Where they practice Islamic law as opposed to secular law?
    Well then that sort of makes it obvious ... where shoudl they have the Quran in the courts? Where they have Islamic law? I suppose thats fairly necessary... that is to have the statutes as it were to hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moses)
    1. You shall not worship any other god but [the Christian God].
    So the state is effectively condemning other religions by having the ten commandments in courtrooms; not good.

P.S. Lawz-, you're back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    So because 51% of the US believes in Jesus, its ok to offend the other 49%? Its ok to have judicial institutions be seen to endorse one faith over another?
    Woooaahhhh. You're veering way off the issue here Lawz. I'm not going to get suckered into discussing the number of people in the US that believe in Jesus (though I'm pretty sure its nearer 80%) or toy with the idea that that belief is offensive to everybody who doesn't share that belief.

This isn't endorsing one faith over another and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So, would you apply the same wish not to offend Christians as you would to our Hindu friends (all five of them that actually give a toss)?

The removal of the Ten Commandments from courtrooms might offend some Christians; should we go to the same lengths not to offend them?
    No ... its not the government's job to prevent offence to Christians by promoting their religion. Its unreasonable of them to expect the government to do so.

However, unless there is something to be gained by having the commandments up, I would favour their removal.

Quite simply I dont think that the government should put one religion above another.

ReputationRep:
    Woooaahhhh. You're veering way off the issue here Lawz. I'm not going to get suckered into discussing the number of people in the US that believe in Jesus (though I'm pretty sure its nearer 80%) or toy with the idea that that belief is offensive to everybody who doesn't share that belief.

This isn't endorsing one faith over another and you know it.
    I wouldnt say its that far off the issue - you were saying it was ok in a Christian country ... I was curious to know what that meant, and what the ramafications of it.

Anyway - of COURSE it can be seen as endorsing one religion over another ... why else would you exhibit the laws on one ...

You cant say "its ok because most people are christian" and at the same time say "its not promoting it at all".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I wouldnt say its that far off the issue - you were saying it was ok in a Christian country ... I was curious to know what that meant, and what the ramafications of it.

Anyway - of COURSE it can be seen as endorsing one religion over another ... why else would you exhibit the laws on one ...

You cant say "its ok because most people are christian" and at the same time say "its not promoting it at all".
    Let me put this simply. If I got myself in trouble in Indonesia and found myself in court I wouldn't be bleating about or surprized to find some reference to koranic verses in the courtroom. If that sort of thing offended me then I'd really have to ask myself what the **** I was doing living in Indonesia in the first place. When in Rome..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    No ... its not the government's job to prevent offence to Christians by promoting their religion. Its unreasonable of them to expect the government to do so.

However, unless there is something to be gained by having the commandments up, I would favour their removal.

Quite simply I dont think that the government should put one religion above another.
    There is something to be gained. It harkens back to the judeo-christian heritage and foundation upon which the entire country was builded upon and upon which so many of the laws we have in west are based upon.

ReputationRep:
    Let me put this simply. If I got myself in trouble in Indonesia and found myself in court I wouldn't be bleating about or surprized to find some reference to koranic verses in the courtroom. If that sort of thing offended me then I'd really have to ask myself what the **** I was doing living in Indonesia in the first place. When in Rome..........
    That’s a separate issue - whether it’s surprising, or historically understandable, and whether it SHOULD be thus.

If I went to Indonesia I might not be surprised to find summary beheadings of sorcerers... that’s not to say Id be fine with it.

If I went to Saudi I wouldn’t be SUPRISED to find that women can’t drive ... I can’t say I agree with it.

The point is that the government should stay out of religion. They should NOT elevate one religion above another.

ReputationRep:
    There is something to be gained. It harkens back to the judeo-christian heritage and foundation upon which the entire country was builded upon and upon which so many of the laws we have in west are based upon.
    I disagree entirely. The development of the law bears little resemblence to the Ten Commandments per se. Aside from murder and theft (which has been illegal in almost EVERY socieity, jewish, Christian or not) which of the commandments finds its way into our law today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I disagree entirely. The development of the law bears little resemblence to the Ten Commandments per se. Aside from murder and theft (which has been illegal in almost EVERY socieity, jewish, Christian or not) which of the commandments finds its way into our law today?
    I'm not talking about specifics but rather more about the Ten Commandments as symbolic of the "goodness" (for want of a better word) that the law is supposed to uphold.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about specifics but rather more about the Ten Commandments as symbolic of the "goodness" (for want of a better word) that the law is supposed to uphold.
    I dont see that it either:

a) Does that
    b) is necessary to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont see that it either:

a) Does that
    b) is necessary to do that
    Oh well.......

ReputationRep:
    Oh well.......
    heh ... fun though that I disagree with you for once... I think religion is an area we diverge on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    heh ... fun though that I disagree with you for once... I think religion is an area we diverge on.
    I fear the only way to make you come to your senses on this issue is to spray you with Holy water while shouting (exorsist style) "The Power of Christ Compels You"

ReputationRep:
    I fear the only way to make you come to your senses on this issue is to spray you with Holy water while shouting (exorsist style) "The Power of Christ Compels You"
    So you want to burn off my skin?

Tried holy water once.... excruitating pain.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting...

"In the Supreme Court Chambers, a mural depicts Moses laying down the ten commandments"

I guess they ought to get rid of it now...

ReputationRep:
    Today's ruling, along with the eminent domain ruling, have probably destroyed any remaining faith that Americans had in the Supreme Court. Idiotic decisions, but they have made many of them lately, so I'm not all that surprised by either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Today's ruling, along with the eminent domain ruling, have probably destroyed any remaining faith that Americans had in the Supreme Court. Idiotic decisions, but they have made many of them lately, so I'm not all that surprised by either.
    The day that courts start making decisions on the basis of public opinion will be a SAD SAD day indeed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.