Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    But satori - they CLEARLY are promoting the religious elemtns of it. Do you really think that they have a SECULAR objection to working on the Sabbath? What possible reason could there be other than that "god said so"?
    Who do you mean by "they"? [I'm not dodging, I just want clarification before I answer]

Oh, and Sunday is the day of football, which is more than enough reason to have off...

Too many of the ten commandments are inherently religious - lets try the first one for starters. How do you endorse "I am the lord thy God, thou shall worship no other God before me" in a moral but yet secular sense?
    Oh, sure you pick THAT one :rolleyes: How about the ones about theft, adultery, lying, murder, covetting, or honoring parents? Come on, play fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Who do you mean by "they"? [I'm not dodging, I just want clarification before I answer]

Oh, and Sunday is the day of football, which is more than enough reason to have off...
    They - the government - or any arm of it.

I thought football was monday night?

Oh, sure you pick THAT one :rolleyes: How about the ones about theft, adultery, lying, murder, covetting, or honoring parents? Come on, play fair.
    Sure .. but the fact that some of them are inherently religious shows it isnt just a moral document.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that these beliefs you state are not the sole property of the church and exist in many philisophical texts as well as other religions who why choose the 10 commandments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Don't be obtuse. The ten commandments was handed to moses from god (in context of what they believe) , so it's clearly a religous document. It's not a Trapper Keeper with blank pages...
    In the context of what those who believe in it would say. But, how is it harming anyone that doesn't believe in its divinity? It would basically just be the literary equivalent of a Thomas Kinkade painting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    The point is that these beliefs you state are not the sole property of the church and exist in many philisophical texts as well as other religions who why choose the 10 commandments?
    No one else put them in a short, snappy list-form.

ReputationRep:
    No one else put them in a short, snappy list-form.
    You think? Or would it actually be because that there are a few about a God in there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Thats the rub. From a legal stand point it may be difficult to argue that it contravenes the constitution as it doesnt amount to passing a law.

However I think that the qurestion about whether government should be seen to favour on ereligion over another or religion over no religion is ill advised. A government is supposed to represent all people. How can you possibly represent Hindus and at the same time promote the beliefs of another religion?
    The display is not restricted to Christianity, though. If Hindus requested to display a passage from Hindu scripture, it would have 99.9% probability of being honored--particularly if the Ten Commandments or Biblical proverb were already present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    But satori - they CLEARLY are promoting the religious elemtns of it. Do you really think that they have a SECULAR objection to working on the Sabbath? What possible reason could there be other than that "god said so"?
    They - the government - or any arm of it.
    Because, in far more religious times, it was socially unacceptable to work on Sundays. However, you aren't going to see government employees request to have LESS time off. Jesus, Americans already keep the longest working hours with the fewest vacations in the West!

I thought football was monday night?
    Most football games are actually on Sundays from 1 to 11 PM EST. Monday Night Football is only one isolated football game. Sometimes there will be football games on Saturday nights, but those can only be played after high school football has ended (there was actually legislation on this).

Sure .. but the fact that some of them are inherently religious shows it isnt just a moral document.
    I never said it was SOLELY a moral document, but a document that can be religious OR moral covers enough of the spectrum for it to be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    So youd be ok with a large wooden cross above the court room, the saying of mass before, the passing out of communion waffers and the use of "Praise be to Jesus christ our svaiour" at the end of every sentence? (aside from the fact it might be annoying )
    I think it should be compulsary. And anybody that fails to conform should be burn't at the stake for heresy which is a far greater crime than anything they may have been brought before the beak for in the first place.

Let's face it, anybody who fails to praise the Lord is probably guilty anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The display is not restricted to Christianity, though. If Hindus requested to display a passage from Hindu scripture, it would have 99.9% probability of being honored--particularly if the Ten Commandments or Biblical proverb were already present.

Even if it did suppost the ten commandments in a de facto way....it would still
    be inappropriate as showing these texts inside the courtroom is favoritism of a religious document. That's the whole problem.

There are plenty of places for religious documents to be admired in the US. Courts of law are not one of them, based on the constitutional precept that we the people shall not "favor a religion" in the context of the law.

ReputationRep:
    You think? Or would it actually be because that there are a few about a God in there?
    It can only be speculated, but I would point out that Americans are notoriously fond of short and snappy lists.

ReputationRep:
    It can only be speculated, but I would point out that Americans are notoriously fond of short and snappy lists.
    and some are even more fond of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Dont steal, dont murder ... thats 2 out of eight ... the other 8 arent part of the law at all,
    Well, they jolly well should be. The world would be a happier place.

ReputationRep:
    And some are even more fond of food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Even if it did suppost the ten commandments in a de facto way....it would still
    be inappropriate as showing these texts inside the courtroom is favoritism of a religious document. That's the whole problem.

There are plenty of places for religious documents to be admired in the US. Courts of law are not one of them, based on the constitutional precept that we the people shall not "favor a religion" in the context of the law.
    Again, framed sheet of paper ≠ favoring a religion, especially in the context of the law. If decisions were made based upon one's acceptance of the Ten Commandments as a divine document, then I would agree with your statement. However, that is not the reality of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Again, framed sheet of paper ≠ favoring a religion, especially in the context of the law. If decisions were made based upon one's acceptance of the Ten Commandments as a divine document, then I would agree with your statement. However, that is not the reality of the situation.
    If you are xtian, it was handed down by God!!! The rest of us really couldnt give two hoots.

ReputationRep:
    You say it as if this is a recent phenomenon! The pilgrims didn't exactly venture over here for the exotic foods and friendly neighbors. You should just be happy that we didn't burned any witches today! (We're saving them up to tie to large bundles of fireworks for the 4th of July )

ReputationRep:
    If you are xtian, it was handed down by God!!! The rest of us really couldnt give two hoots.
    Evidently, that is not true.

ReputationRep:
    Why remove it now? It just seems like an overly political correct gesture so as not to offend non-Christians. It's not like any verdict has been swayed by the presence of the Commandments.

While I don't think it is necessary to have the Ten Commandments in the courts, I don't think it's presence is offensive, and don't think it is neccessary to remove it. I don't think that this will make the courtrooms any more objective (as I don't think the document has any influence on what goes on in the courts). I certainly don't think this proves that the U.S are any nearer to a state/church separation. To me, it just like a way for the Supreme Court to avoid the real issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I fail to see how the Ten Commandments hanging in a court room is "interfering" with the law.
    I fail to see how the Ten Commandments hanging in a court room is benefiting the law. Get rid of it, it's a piece of pointless junk in a courtroom.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.