Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe it, top gcse grades (well almost) and A's at AS and predicted for A's.
    And guess what, yep..LSE rejected me today. Those B******s.
    oh well, roll on cambridge interview.
    Well i should look on bright side, nottingham and warwick have accpeted me and birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    oh well, you'll have to be your free market, non equality type person at another uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    oh well, you'll have to be your free market, non equality type person at another uni!

haha i m hoping to get in uni with B's and wen they say they didn get place with A's it just makes me laugh and scares me at the same time. i will be applying for mech eng at UCL Kings, Queen, (no princess hehe) Brunel etc

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry - all the good people get rejected from LSE

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected from bristol for geog wiv 6A* 4A, AAAA predicted A2 overall ave 97.5% geog as level. skool said they prop rejected me coz they thought i would get an offer from oxford, (they so kno im applying there i mean straight a's b4 15th oct) the annoying thing is i want to go to bristol more than oxford! GRR!

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation, I don't even know what LSE stands for. I doubt the common employer does either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    If it's any consolation, I don't even know what LSE stands for. I doubt the common employer does either.
    Trust me the common employer would know, its such a highly regarded university in the business world!

Btw it stands for the London School of Economics (and political science)

xxxx

ReputationRep:

As is the saying at the LSE, the people that matter know

ReputationRep:
    should i count my self lucky that i have not been rejected from LSE yet? this is for law. just come back from oxford interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaeedRehman)
    should i count my self lucky that i have not been rejected from LSE yet? this is for law. just come back from oxford interviews.
    aint heard from nottingham or ucl or kings as a matter of fact? only birmingham, who want A A A.

ReputationRep:
    you would be joking mate, after oxbridge, LSE is the most recognised, especially in europe. some ranking think LSE is better than oxbridge at a few things but everybody has a different perception on things and how they rate them.

i must say in all the rankings i have seen, i have not really seen LSE below 5, i think its 3 in employer ranks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaeedRehman)
    aint heard from nottingham or ucl or kings as a matter of fact? only birmingham, who want A A A.
    Where would be your 1st choice???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    i got rejected from bristol for geog wiv 6A* 4A, AAAA predicted A2 overall ave 97.5% geog as level. skool said they prop rejected me coz they thought i would get an offer from oxford, (they so kno im applying there i mean straight a's b4 15th oct) the annoying thing is i want to go to bristol more than oxford! GRR!
    This is a common problem, but see it from Bristol's viewpoint. They only have a limited number of places thus offers they can give out and thousands of people applying. So when they see a candidate with brilliant credentials, they may think 'Well he's probably applied to Oxbridge and will almost definitely get in and not go to Bristol even if he got an offer', and they're probably right 75% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    This is a common problem, but see it from Bristol's viewpoint. They only have a limited number of places thus offers they can give out and thousands of people applying. So when they see a candidate with brilliant credentials, they may think 'Well he's probably applied to Oxbridge and will almost definitely get in and not go to Bristol even if he got an offer', and they're probably right 75% of the time.
    Yep that's true. Every offer they make to someone who then turns it down is essentially a wasted offer. They have to find someone else to fill it and they may have already turned down candidates who were less able than those who were given offers initally, but more so than those they are able to get when they're desperate to fill places. Also they have to think about their reputation, and they're very keen to get away from people's perception of them as the place for Oxbridge rejects.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    yeh i guess :s still it's v.annoying, but yeh I can see where they are coming from :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Nice theory... but I have straight A's and applied on 10th October yet I have an offer from Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    But why can't Bristol just increase the numbers of offers they make to take into account that a lot of Oxbridge applicants who sparkle on their UCAS forms will probably get in there and decline their Bristol offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    Nice theory... but I have straight A's and applied on 10th October yet I have an offer from Bristol.

That's what I don't get, i know of lots of people who have got an offer from Bristol for geogo and have applied to Oxford/Cambridge. I think they must dislike my school or something i don't know! (none of our Oxbridge ppl got offers for geog from there) I rang up and asked why I had been rejected and they said that it was because I only got AABB for my AS levels, however, they then accepted someone form my school for the same course who had AABB for AS levels, and the B in Geography! (they are applying for geog) I just don't understand them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    But why can't Bristol just increase the numbers of offers they make to take into account that a lot of Oxbridge applicants who sparkle on their UCAS forms will probably get in there and decline their Bristol offers?
    Increase offers = Increase Offers:Places available ratio = a lot more scope for 'getting it wrong' eg oversubscribed courses, then having to teach say 200 students when you've only been given money for 120.

ReputationRep:
    i havent heard from LSE yet.....the thing is they take on a lot of international students - 50% so thats y so many people get rejected

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.