Turn on thread page Beta

Nooooooooo!!!!!!lse Rejected Me!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply to LSE for Post Graduate; that is if I can get atleast a 2:1 and sponsoring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    I'm hoping to apply to LSE for Post Graduate; that is if I can get atleast a 2:1 and sponsoring.
    For the last year I've been targetting at least a 2:1 hoping to do a 1yr postgraduate MSc at LSE.

However in the last week when filling in internship forms for summer placements I now think I'll go straight into a job after graduation - I don't think an (expensive) Masters will make much difference regarding employment prospects if I do a good job of my time here.

ReputationRep:
    mullberry - no bristol is better for Geography than Oxford.

And to whoever was saying about sounding arrogant on my form, i wasnt and my statment was checked zillions of times before being sent off just to check it wasnt and to check that I didn't put too much e/c on it! And to the person who was saying about the state school thing - I was at a state school for 8 years, only moved to a public school for 6th form when i got a scholarship, and neither my mum or dad went to uni, i'm the first person out of close family to go. Bristol said they acknowledged that I was at a state school and that it was in my favour - yeh rite as if they even looked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    oh no i didnt mean thats the main reason....but it must be a factor......dont forget international students = more money!

no....its the same money for all studnets....UK government pays the extra $$ for home studnets...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    mullberry - no bristol is better for Geography than Oxford.

And to whoever was saying about sounding arrogant on my form, i wasnt and my statment was checked zillions of times before being sent off just to check it wasnt and to check that I didn't put too much e/c on it! And to the person who was saying about the state school thing - I was at a state school for 8 years, only moved to a public school for 6th form when i got a scholarship, and neither my mum or dad went to uni, i'm the first person out of close family to go. Bristol said they acknowledged that I was at a state school and that it was in my favour - yeh rite as if they even looked!

Can't you send an email to the admissions tutor to explain your interest and to also ask why you were rejected? Maybe you might want to wait for 2005 entry. Take a gap year. Afterall with such good grades, I'm you'd get into Oxbridge easily if you wanted to. Just a thought.

Mul

ReputationRep:
    Actually, when I come to think of it, a friend of mine who applied from geog at Bristol was also rejected. She had applied to Cambridge for Land Econ and eventually got in and is there now. However, she put it down to the fact that geog at Bristol is more scientific and she didn't have a sciency background.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    For the last year I've been targetting at least a 2:1 hoping to do a 1yr postgraduate MSc at LSE.

However in the last week when filling in internship forms for summer placements I now think I'll go straight into a job after graduation - I don't think an (expensive) Masters will make much difference regarding employment prospects if I do a good job of my time here.

I was a postgrad. at LSE, you're absolutely right, it makes very little difference to your employment prospects. For me it was the right decision as a MSc from LSE at a high classification holds its value in the academic world (rather than the 'coroporate world'). The reasons that make a masters worthwhile are:

Passion for the subject
    Contemplating a career as an academic
    OR if the masters is highly relevant to what you want to go into and you could do with knoweldge in that area.

It's amusing, sometimes sad that most people end up doing a masters for all the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:

When it comes to sponsorship, a 2:1 is very low priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    When it comes to sponsorship, a 2:1 is very low priority.

Notice I said atleast 2:1 then.

ReputationRep:
    Notice I said atleast 2:1 then.

lol, I did see it, for a good deal of sponsorship it's AT LEAST a first, preferably a 'good first'. Although, it varies depending on what you study and whether it's a research or a taught degree.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by matouwah)
    no....its the same money for all studnets....UK government pays the extra $$ for home studnets...
    Nope

In the case of LSE they are likely to receive between £3000 and £5000pa per home/EU student (including tuition fees), and international student will pay £9,859pa...and once you take into account all the extra administration costs in claiming the money for the Home/EU students (and that international students will likely pay hefty hall fees for their entire stay at the uni) one international student can fund the equivalent of 8 home/EU students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Nope

In the case of LSE they are likely to receive between £3000 and £5000pa per home/EU student (including tuition fees), and international student will pay £9,859pa...and once you take into account all the extra administration costs in claiming the money for the Home/EU students (and that international students will likely pay hefty hall fees for their entire stay at the uni) one international student can fund the equivalent of 8 home/EU students.
    o rite....i thought it was the same

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.