The Student Room Group

WJEC Psychology PY3 29/01/10

Hello :smile:

Anyone on this exam board finding it hard?

Ehmmm, also, for you people who are also on the exam board, do you know of any good resources to help revise? And how to remember research methods etc. I'm okay with the essays, we just got given 6 model answers and told that we'll have to write two of them out in the exam. :ninja:

I don't know if this will work well or not... But I thought it'd be worthwhile having a thread for those on this exam board, considering that the majority of people seem to be on the likes of AQA etc. therefore it'd be helpful to know others who are studying similar stuff. :p: For A2 specifically, but I don't mind tbh.

Hmmmm. Discuss?

I've a feeling this will fail. :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing AQA(B), most people are doing AQA(A)...

Most the stuff overlaps I think, what other things do you do?

I'm terrible at writing essays :frown:

For psychology when the exam got near, I wrote everything over and over again until I could remember it and also did spider diagrams.
At the moment I make sure that I regulary read through my book, at first I often find it hard to get my head round some of the things.
Reply 2
Natalie*
I'm doing AQA(B), most people are doing AQA(A)...

Most the stuff overlaps I think, what other things do you do?

I'm terrible at writing essays :frown:

For psychology when the exam got near, I wrote everything over and over again until I could remember it and also did spider diagrams.
At the moment I make sure that I regulary read through my book, at first I often find it hard to get my head round some of the things.

Oooh, we're doing research methods. Which are worth 50 marks on the paper. And ethics which is worth 30 marks. The ethics = advantages of scientific method in psychology; disavantages of scientific method in psychology; why issues are important concerning humans; why issues are important concerning animals; how to resolve human ethical issues; and issues arising from two real life applications (Military and Advertising)

I'm okay with learning the essays etc, but there is just so much to research methods and I don't know how to learn it all. :afraid:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm doing WJEC A2 :smile:
Hardly anyone on here does it!
Reply 4
im doing it :smile:
AS and A2 in one year (!)
can't believe you got given modal answers!!!!!!!
we have had to write our own, I wish my teachers did what you are doing. I find the research methods quite straightforward its just a few terms and adv/disadvantages
any chance you would donate your essays (i'll PM you some good resources ive collected in return) :p:
btw how did you do in the AS exams?
Reply 5
bethan92
I'm doing WJEC A2 :smile:
Hardly anyone on here does it!

I knowww! How are you finding it?
What are you doing for the ethics part?

I find the essays a bit complicated to follow. :erm: Normally I don't, but it seems that the one we've been given, for example the importance of human ethics, is simply stating different studies in which issues have arosen, rather than saying why it is actually important. :ninja:
Reply 6
jabed786
im doing it :smile:
AS and A2 in one year (!)
can't believe you got given modal answers!!!!!!!
we have had to write our own, I wish my teachers did what you are doing. I find the research methods quite straightforward its just a few terms and adv/disadvantages
any chance you would donate your essays (i'll PM you some good resources ive collected in return) :p:
btw how did you do in the AS exams?

You're doing it all in 1 year?! My gosh.
We did get given model answers, but the booklet/handout we got given with info in it had loads of other stuff in it too which we could include. So I'm guessing peoples will be slightly different, unless they decide to just memorise the essays at the back of the handout rather than picking out other bits of info from the notes. :p:

I'll try writing them out soon and putting them on here. Even though they're written by the teacher, and in no way am I saying I know more than them, I just think they're a bit :lolwut:. I just feel as if a few of them aren't answering the actual question, but they probably are, tbh.
Reply 7
mel0n
You're doing it all in 1 year?! My gosh.
We did get given model answers, but the booklet/handout we got given with info in it had loads of other stuff in it too which we could include. So I'm guessing peoples will be slightly different, unless they decide to just memorise the essays at the back of the handout rather than picking out other bits of info from the notes. :p:

I'll try writing them out soon and putting them on here. Even though they're written by the teacher, and in no way am I saying I know more than them, I just think they're a bit :lolwut:. I just feel as if a few of them aren't answering the actual question, but they probably are, tbh.

i know what you mean by the booklets - ours has a few names of studie which we have to research into and come up with our own evaluation points.
one of our teachers is a WJEC exam marker so I feel very confident in the way she teachers, the other has taught it for ages so I feel confident in his 'wisdom' lol, the female is my fave teacher though :ninja: btw my teachers have a hunch 'scientific method essay' question will come up.

so yeah did u find AS units hard - its so difficult to write so much in like 4 or 8 or 12 minutes!
Reply 8
jabed786
i know what you mean, one of our teachers is a WJEC exam marker so I feel quite confident in the way she teachers, the other has taught it for ages so I feel confident in his 'wisdom' lol btw he has a hunch 'scientific method essay' question will come up.

Haha ooh, my teacher has a 'hunch' that the applications question will come up! I do trust him, he was one of the chief/senior markers for AQA for quite a while. But our year is the only one doing WJEC! They've moved back to AQA for the new year below us because WJEC apparently took the pee with their grades. :teehee:

By the way, if you think about it, you only have to learn 5 out of the 6 essays. :ninja:

And yeahh the AS units were pretty hard. 24 essays or something to learn for the January exam. And about 50 for the Summer exam. Madness! How're you finding it?
Reply 9
mel0n
Haha ooh, my teacher has a 'hunch' that the applications question will come up! I do trust him, he was one of the chief/senior markers for AQA for quite a while. But our year is the only one doing WJEC! They've moved back to AQA for the new year below us because WJEC apparently took the pee with their grades. :teehee:

By the way, if you think about it, you only have to learn 5 out of the 6 essays. :ninja:

And yeahh the AS units were pretty hard. 24 essays or something to learn for the January exam. And about 50 for the Summer exam. Madness!

I know aparantly WJEC decided to be generous in AS grades last year and then strict on A2 last year to level out the grades
And this year they are gonna be strict overall.
I think WJEC has the fewest percentage of A grades! something like 18% as opposed to like 22% in other boards.

edit: well I'm doing unit 1 (AS class) alongside unit 3 (A2 class). Its going ok in the AS i just cant write fast so can never include enough points in the essays.
Reply 10
jabed786
I know aparantly WJEC decided to be generous in AS grades last year and then strict on A2 last year to level out the grades
And this year they are gonna be strict overall.
I think WJEC has the fewest percentage of A grades! something like 18% as opposed to like 22% in other boards.

What, seriously?
After our January exam, we got told they'd be more lenient in the summer. After the summer exams,(:sigh:) we've been told they might be more lenient this year. My teacher was saying that lots of people were complaining at the conference, presenting papers and declaring that the papers were given the wrong grades. Dunno how true this is. :ninja:
Reply 11
mel0n
I knowww! How are you finding it?
What are you doing for the ethics part?

I find the essays a bit complicated to follow. :erm: Normally I don't, but it seems that the one we've been given, for example the importance of human ethics, is simply stating different studies in which issues have arosen, rather than saying why it is actually important. :ninja:

Ohh we've gone past ethics now and we're onto schizophrenia and depression.
For the ethics part we did the general ones we learnt about at the end of last year such as consent, protection of participants etc and did some essays on it.

And yehh the essays seem more complicated this time with all the things you have to make sure you include! I'm hoping to get lots of practice in before the exam!
Reply 12
mel0n
What, seriously?
After our January exam, we got told they'd be more lenient in the summer. After the summer exams,(:sigh:) we've been told they might be more lenient this year. My teacher was saying that lots of people were complaining at the conference, presenting papers and declaring that the papers were given the wrong grades. Dunno how true this is. :ninja:

I know there was a lot of fuss over the grading of paper last year especially the January exam, so that's likely to be true, well I hope!! :smile:
Reply 13
bethan92
Ohh we've gone past ethics now and we're onto schizophrenia and depression.
For the ethics part we did the general ones we learnt about at the end of last year such as consent, protection of participants etc and did some essays on it.

And yehh the essays seem more complicated this time with all the things you have to make sure you include! I'm hoping to get lots of practice in before the exam!

Aahh so you've started the work for the summer exam? Depression/Schizophrenia are for the summer, aren't they? Are you also doing forensic psychology by any chance? And memory? :smile:
Reply 14
mel0n
Aahh so you've started the work for the summer exam? Depression/Schizophrenia are for the summer, aren't they? Are you also doing forensic psychology by any chance? And memory? :smile:

Yess it's for the summer exam :smile: It's really interesting!
And Im not sure yet, I seem to remember my teacher mentioning forensic psychology...
Reply 15
bethan92
And Im not sure yet, I seem to remember my teacher mentioning forensic psychology...

Aaah I think we're going to be starting the summer exam stuff in a week or two. Not too sure. :dontknow: :o:

Have you spent a lot of time on research methods? It's so dull and boring. :ninja:
Reply 16
bethan92

im doing forensic!
and we are also doing relationships!

we did a bit of py4, just completed two 30 mark essays so its less work after jan exams =]
but now we are 100% focused on py3.
Reply 17
OP, just looked at your signature - hahah very funny, biological approach is one of my fave approach (my other is cognitive)
Reply 18
jabed786
OP, just looked at your signature - hahah very funny, biological approach is one of my fave approach (my other is cognitive)

Hah. :h: Omg cognitive approach is a nightmare, tbh! I like the Psychodynamic for some reason. I sort of remember a lot of Freud's theory stuff! :p: Biological is cool though. :teeth:
Reply 19
:bump:

Has anyone studies Amnesia in the memory module? :confused:

Latest