Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how lenient leeds are with grades? My offer is BBC and i am wondering whats the worst i could do to still stand a chance of getting in, not that i am aiming for low grades, i've worked harder than ever these past few months, but just in case. Does anybody know anyone who has go into leeds, in previous years, with low grades because they managed to talk admissions round? any tips? :p:

ReputationRep:
    phone up and beg!

ReputationRep:
    i know a girl who applied for law at leeds last year, she needed AAB but got ABC, at first they rejected her but then she rang them and sweet talked herself back in. i think this is a rare exception since theres not usually n e place left on law courses. it really depends how big the demand for ur course is. xx

ReputationRep:
    if you do an oscar winning performance you can sway it the right way, i suggest take up some acting classes during summer just incase .

ReputationRep:
    Im the same. I need an ABB for psychology and philosophy, and im not sure ive done it, and id really like some lovely stories of people getting into leeds despite a drop in grades! :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    if you do an oscar winning performance you can sway it the right way, i suggest take up some acting classes during summer just incase .
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_buttercup)
    i know a girl who applied for law at leeds last year, she needed AAB but got ABC, at first they rejected her but then she rang them and sweet talked herself back in. i think this is a rare exception since theres not usually n e place left on law courses. it really depends how big the demand for ur course is. xx
    i know someone doing business who had a high off and got in on C's and D's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    i know someone doing business who had a high off and got in on C's and D's
    Do you know what course that was for ?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I needed BBC to study French/TESOL at Leeds last year; I ended up with BCC but I rang up and they said I had got a place anyway, so I was relieved.

ReputationRep:
    What would i say to sweet talk myself in though? If the inevitable happened...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to sweet talk/beg to get myself in.. i need BBB but i reckon i got BCC. this is for accountancy.. im really hoping they'd still let me in!

ReputationRep:
    I heard something really shocking yesterday , I met someone who has also applied for Leeds uni and enquired about the chances of getting in with one grade lower, and the rep/lecturer/etc said little to no chance (she is taking some kind of history degree), and that most people are under the impression that they can get in with lower grades, but at Leeds it barely ever happens!! Think i am kind of rubbish and talking my way through situations, I have never been good at job interviews, its some combination between being honest and saying what they want to hear, without sounding false or like you are sucking up too much, you also have to come across as "nice" becasue if they like you they may feel more inclined to accept you! ARGH but what do I know like i said I've never been good at that kinda thing, maybe I have the theory oh so wrong :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)
    I heard something really shocking yesterday , I met someone who has also applied for Leeds uni and enquired about the chances of getting in with one grade lower, and the rep/lecturer/etc said little to no chance (she is taking some kind of history degree), and that most people are under the impression that they can get in with lower grades, but at Leeds it barely ever happens!! Think i am kind of rubbish and talking my way through situations, I have never been good at job interviews, its some combination between being honest and saying what they want to hear, without sounding false or like you are sucking up too much, you also have to come across as "nice" becasue if they like you they may feel more inclined to accept you! ARGH but what do I know like i said I've never been good at that kinda thing, maybe I have the theory oh so wrong :hahaha:
    Get your teacher to lye/haggle untill they are blue in the face. It'll save you alot of hassle and sucking up aswell.

Then hopefully you and the teacher afterwards will be like :dancing: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Get your teacher to lye/haggle untill they are blue in the face. It'll save you alot of hassle and sucking up aswell.

Then hopefully you and the teacher afterwards will be like :dancing: lol
    whos that close to their teachers, anyway as it seems i am going to be in wals when i have to ring up and beg, and won't even know my grades on the day so it will be "hello leeds, name ucas number etcetc, soo did i get in?" "no, sorry" "can you tell me how far off my grades were " "no, confidential sorry" "erm, is there any chance i can still get on the course *start begging here*"

*update* I have recieved an email from Leeds uni explaining what happens on results day, as other people may find it useful, and reassuring, as I did, here it is :

Thanks for your email. I fully understand your anxiety about receiving your A Level results. However, you do not need to worry. We will receive notification of your results direct from UCAS. As you hold a conditional firm offer with us, providing we have received your exam results from UCAS and made our final decision, you will be able to find out if you have been accepted from 18 August via:

§ UCASTRACK By using your application number and unique password, you can check the status of your application via the UCAS website www.ucas.com

§ UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS WEBSITE By using your application number, you can check if your application has been successful via the University of Leeds website www.leeds.ac.uk/confirmation

§ CONTACTING US DIRECTLY BY PHONE Tel: 0870 835 9465. Please note that we will not be able to tell you your A Level grades, but we will be able to tell you whether your place has been confirmed. If you have not met the conditions of your offer, we will be able to confirm whether or not we can still offer you a place based on the grades you have actually obtained. Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict whether we will be able to do this, as we will need to wait to assess all applicants’ results.

You will receive a letter confirming the above information, plus further details, from the University’s Central Admissions Department in the next week or so.

Basically, it will not make any difference whether or not you are able to contact us on 18 August. As previously explained, if you do not meet the conditions of our offer, our Admissions Tutor will make a decision regardless of whether or not you contact us. He will base his decision on academic criteria and not on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from them.. good stuff! Saying the exact same thing.. i'll be on the website as soon as i can be :P

ReputationRep:
    If you get the grades, do you not automatically get a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    If you get the grades, do you not automatically get a place?
    yes, if you get the grades you are in, and don't need to contact them.
    I hope the phone lines don't get clogged up with people who know for a fact that they have got the grades but ring up anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yea i got tht letter too.proper freaked me out cos i was so enjoyin my hols id 4gotton bout results!!!!wat a reminder...'if u dnt make it u can always go thru clearing'....argh!!!!why do i hve a feeling tht might be me!!i need AAB but i dnt think i made tht!plus i kno sum1 last year who applied to leeds n needed BBB and he got BBC and they uni jus straight refused him!well harsh!

man i really need this.......wonder how much bribe money wud be enuff......lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)
    yes, if you get the grades you are in, and don't need to contact them.
    I hope the phone lines don't get clogged up with people who know for a fact that they have got the grades but ring up anyway :rolleyes:
    Like the girl from my school who got 5 A's (she needed ABB I think) and phoned to confirm her place! :rolleyes: Its so rude because its just taking time from the people who really need to get through

ReputationRep:
    what is the number you call if you don't get your grades, or where do u find this out?
    i just want to be prepared!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.