Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the entry requirements were BBB for my course...I got one C and an unconditional offer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no_name)
    what is the number you call if you don't get your grades, or where do u find this out?
    i just want to be prepared!

§ CONTACTING US DIRECTLY BY PHONE Tel: 0870 835 9465.

or call the dept/school for your course, i got a general letter from leeds explaining all this in the post this morning. Pretty much exactly what they said in the email, seems a standard reply. P.S this letter wasn't specific to my dept, as I thought the email might be.

ReputationRep:
    if i get the grades (BBB) ill be ringing up to confirm my place i dont care wat anyone says. i want to make sure i get my place! every man for themselves i say!!

ReputationRep:
    Last year my friend got into Leeds to do French with ACC I think she needed ABC or even ABB I'm not sure to be honest but it was at least a grade higher in one subject but she got in no probs anyway when she rang up she had already been accepted. They gave the impression to her it was because French is not as popular a subject and she was undoubtedly in 'cos not as many ppl are applying for it as for law for eg. Plus Leeds I think is more lenient than manchester , I sat next to the head of admissions for Manchester uni on the plane back from Greece, she was really nice but said for every 4 applicants for hummanities subjects they only give a conditional offer to 1 person!!

Anyone doing History next year and/or living in Leodis I am into both unconditionally, sigh of relief, anyone be with me?? Block F 2.25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapysudds1)
    if i get the grades (BBB) ill be ringing up to confirm my place i dont care wat anyone says. i want to make sure i get my place! every man for themselves i say!!

How selfish can you get? Keep the lines free for those who do not know where they stand. If you have got the grades you are in. fact. it is a legal contract between You, UCAS and the university.
    Attitudes like every man(you said it not me) for themselves will gain you plenty of enemies.

P.S do not hijack my thread, dismissing a point that I made.

ReputationRep:
    ditto! there will be people like me who will not be getting the grades and desparately trying to get through. don't tie up the lines if u have the grades and know u r in!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ditto! there will be people like me who will not be getting the grades and desparately trying to get through. don't tie up the lines if u have the grades and know u r in!!!!!!!
    Aww how come you are so sure you won't get the grades? Good luck anyway
    If you do brilliant, if you don't theres probably still a good chance you will get in, if they are close. I know its probably all over this Leeds board, but what have course are you hoping to get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)
    Aww how come you are so sure you won't get the grades? Good luck anyway
    If you do brilliant, if you don't theres probably still a good chance you will get in, if they are close. I know its probably all over this Leeds board, but what have course are you hoping to get on?
    i'm trying to get into accounting and finance.. i don't know how popular this course is at leeds though! i really hope i get in. i think i really messed up my economics and probably got a C in maths, so i have no idea... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i'm trying to get into accounting and finance.. i don't know how popular this course is at leeds though! i really hope i get in. i think i really messed up my economics and probably got a C in maths, so i have no idea... :confused:
    Oh dear, I know how you feel, i totally messed up 2 of, my chemistry exam was a mess and Physics was only a little better! Realisticly i think i am looking at CCC rather than BBC!

ReputationRep:
    Me too! My exams were going well until my last 5 exams which was 2 on the thursday and 3 on the friday. I think i have messed up atleast 2 of them. I need a BBC but i think it could turn out to be as bad as a BCD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)
    How selfish can you get? Keep the lines free for those who do not know where they stand. If you have got the grades you are in. fact. it is a legal contract between You, UCAS and the university.
    Attitudes like every man(you said it not me) for themselves will gain you plenty of enemies.

P.S do not hijack my thread, dismissing a point that I made.
    Geez personal attack on little old me, let me clarify my point please. Getting my grades does not mean I am in. Lets say Leeds have given 60 people conditional offers although there are only 36 places on my course, and 57 of those get the right grades. Who gets a place and who doesnt??? This is why you need to ring and confirm your place, so do not get complacent and think yay BBB I'm in, because more people may have got higher than the BBB entry requirement and taken up all the places. Also I believe that in situations like this that will change my/your life, and my/your direction in life it is my duty to myself to get what I deserve and want, I'm not going to let my place be taken from under me by another applicant just because I want to keep the lines free for others who 'might not have got the grades'. Thirdly I was not dismissing your point I was only highlighting the reasons as to why you should ring up even if you do get the grades, as i will be doing. Capiche?

ReputationRep:
    Actually....

"When the admissions tutor receives your exam results, your grades are checked to see if they match the conditions of the offer made to you. If you have got the right grades and you meet all the other conditions of the offer, your place will be confirmed." - Ucas Website

Marisad_uk was right - it is a legally binding contract - you have no need what so ever to ring up the line checking if you got in.
    It is a) highly unlikely that all of those people will get the grades.
    b) they won't just give out offers willy-nilly..i.e. they wont give out loads more offers than there are actual places.....
    c) if doesn't matter if they did get higher than the BBB....BBB was the entry requirement and if you achieve that then it's the same as getting AAA effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Actually....

"When the admissions tutor receives your exam results, your grades are checked to see if they match the conditions of the offer made to you. If you have got the right grades and you meet all the other conditions of the offer, your place will be confirmed." - Ucas Website

Marisad_uk was right - it is a legally binding contract - you have no need what so ever to ring up the line checking if you got in.
    It is a) highly unlikely that all of those people will get the grades.
    b) they won't just give out offers willy-nilly..i.e. they wont give out loads more offers than there are actual places.....
    c) if doesn't matter if they did get higher than the BBB....BBB was the entry requirement and if you achieve that then it's the same as getting AAA effectively.
    they offer so many more offers than there are places, i know this for sure after talking to the admissions tutor for my course. 700 people apply, 50ish offers are made and there are 36 places on the course.therefore more than 36 people may have offers of BBB and they may all achieve higher. therefore some of the successful candidates will get one of the 36 places and some will have to be turned away or offered an alternative course. this was my point. therefore even if you do get the grades you may not get a place. thank you

ReputationRep:
    if you get the grades they CAN'T turn you away!! they will have to make room for all the people who have applied on the course! and remember not everyone will apply for that course..

ReputationRep:
    if there are too many people with the correct offer they will ask you to defer or offer another course for that year. therefore im still ringing, im not jepodising my place for anything anyone else thinks. call me selfish or stubborn i dont care. iv bin told how the system works so im playing the system.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I remember having to sit through an explanation of this at Bristol (I think). They have to try and balance it just right. They know that some people they hand out offers to will go elsewhere so they give more offers than they have places. But they ARE legally obligated to take in everyone who meets the conditions set to them so if they hand out too many offers they potentially will have to squeeze extra people in. They are very practised at this so generally it works out fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapysudds1)
    they offer so many more offers than there are places, i know this for sure after talking to the admissions tutor for my course. 700 people apply, 50ish offers are made and there are 36 places on the course.therefore more than 36 people may have offers of BBB and they may all achieve higher. therefore some of the successful candidates will get one of the 36 places and some will have to be turned away or offered an alternative course. this was my point. therefore even if you do get the grades you may not get a place. thank you
    The may make 50 offers for 36 places, but out of those 50 offers, the chances of all 50 accepting Leeds as their firm choice and getting the grades are pretty slim. If it turn out that more offers were accepted then there were places available the university would be obliged to provide places for them all, otherwise the students could realistical take legal action for breach of contract (my contract law is a bit rusty, but in this case there would have been clear offer and acceptance, making a legal contract)

ReputationRep:
    i was merely pointing out these problems in a hypothetical situation, i know that the chances of these things actually occuring is very slim. however i wanted an example to back up my argument of why im ringing up to confirm my place if i get the grades required. i was just trying to make other see my point of view before they launch a personal attack on me from a comment i made

ReputationRep:
    But we're saying there is no chance - they will expand the course to fit you in if the very worst comes to the worst and every one gets their grades - so there is no need to ring!!
    The whole thing is, you get your results on results day and for those of you going to university, the whole point of you opening them is to find out if you are going to the uni you want - hence...if you get the grades, you're going.

ReputationRep:
    oh well im sure if its only me ringing to confirm ill not take up too many phones lines

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.