Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    please don't say mean things about the North. Its lovely. Especially today, its actually sunny.

Unless you face up to the reality, you can't change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Unless you face up to the reality, you can't change
    Your party have ran on not facing up to reality for over a decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blur303)
    Your party have ran on not facing up to reality for over a decade.

Are you completely unaware of what the party is now doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Are you completely unaware of what the party is now doing?
    Yep, that's me and everyone else in Britain. Good job Tory HQ.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that's me and everyone else in Britain. Good job Tory HQ.
    You don't read the newspapers than, though im not surprised.

ReputationRep:
    And you lot wonder why no-one likes you???
    Excuse me, i hope you are not attributing that comment to the Party as a whole.
    Considering i am from North Yorkshire, which has many of the Conservative strongholds, the assumption that the Conservatives are confined to the SE is a false one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Excuse me, i hope you are not attributing that comment to the Party as a whole.
    Considering i am from North Yorkshire, which has many of the Conservative strongholds, the assumption that the Conservatives are confined to the SE is a false one.
    It was the comment regarding the north that I had objection to. Of course there are conservatives throughout the country including in Labour strongholds, likewise there are labour supporters in the home counties.

ReputationRep:
    It was the comment regarding the north that I had objection to. Of course there are conservatives throughout the country including in Labour strongholds, likewise there are labour supporters in the home counties.

"You lot" suggested you were taking the foolish comment by objectivism and attributing the attitude to the Party as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    "You lot" suggested you were taking the foolish comment by objectivism and attributing the attitude to the Party as a whole.
    I did not mean it that way, however the point I was making is that it is often perceived that the tories are a snobbish party, don't you think that comments such as the one made by objectivism engender this view?

ReputationRep:
    Just like in real life the Tories attacking their fellow party members! In defence to Objectivism i dont think he meant everywhere up North.

ReputationRep:
    I did not mean it that way, however the point I was making is that it is often perceived that the tories are a snobbish party, don't you think that comments such as the one made by objectivism engender this view?
    I'm sure Objectivism can speak for himself, he doesn't need me to speak on his behalf.
    All i will say is that the Party is at its very core a national Party and characterises the very best of English culture and heritage. Conservative support is spread across the whole of the UK, from strongholds in Worthing east on the South Coast, right up to Hexham near the Scottish borders. The only places where Conservative support is weak is in some of the move deprived urban centres, which, like Conservative holds are spread across the whole country, be it in Manchester or London.

I am not going to address social make-up of the party, but we all know that the Conservatives are the most representative Party of the British population there is. From healthy black representation to the first female MP. Hell, there will even be a gay candidate in the Parties leadership election!

Any stereotypes you make are purely of individual preference, but the Conservatives are a very outward looking and far more in-touch than any other Party in UK politics. Lets not let the odd dodgy comment about "the north" offset what we think.

I would even go as far as to say that the phrase "the North" is very inaccurate, given that the characteristics of where i live (North Yorkshire) are completely different to somewhere like Manchester, perhaps even more so than much of the South East.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Objectivism can speak for himself, he doesn't need me to speak on his behalf.
    All i will say is that the Party is at its very core a national Party and characterises the very best of English culture and heritage. Conservative support is spread across the whole of the UK, from strongholds in Worthing east on the South Coast, right up to Hexham near the Scottish borders. The only places where Conservative support is weak is in some of the move deprived urban centres, which, like Conservative holds are spread across the whole country, be it in Manchester or London.

I am not going to address social make-up of the party, but we all know that the Conservatives are the most representative Party of the British population there is. From healthy black representation to the first female MP. Hell, there will even be a gay candidate in the Parties leadership election!

Any stereotypes you make are purely of individual preference, but the Conservatives are a very outward looking and far more in-touch than any other Party in UK politics. Lets not let the odd dodgy comment about "the north" offset what we think.

I would even go as far as to say that the phrase "the North" is very inaccurate, given that the characteristics of where i live (North Yorkshire) are completely different to somewhere like Manchester, perhaps even more so than much of the South East.
    Like most parties there is of course a wide range of support and I did not unlike objectivism perpetuate any sterotypes. It is true though that Tory MPs do tend to be more overwhelmingly male and white than those of other parties and usually are from similar social backgrounds. I do acknowledge though that the conservatives like every party are taking steps to remedy problems of under representation.

ReputationRep:
    Like most parties there is of course a wide range of support and I did not unlike objectivism perpetuate any sterotypes. It is true though that Tory MPs do tend to be more overwhelmingly male and white than those of other parties and usually are from similar social backgrounds. I do acknowledge though that the conservatives like every party are taking steps to remedy problems of under representation.
    As i have just stated, the Conservatives are the most representative Party in British politics. That is a fact.

Any "white tory" stereotypes you have are simply built up by myths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Just like in real life the Tories attacking their fellow party members! In defence to Objectivism i dont think he meant everywhere up North.
    Exactly. I was referring to South Shields, since i was talking about Millband and thats his seat. And it is a dreary place in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Having been to South Shields, i can confirm that it is a hole.

Stating that he came from "some dreary place up North" clearly has negative connotations though, anybody would have noticed that, and the following comments reflected that exactly.

The Conservatives are judged more than any other party, it is impossible to overstate how careful you have got to be to avoid wild assumptions from the opposition.

Children please. this silly party bickering is most unbecoming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Children please. this silly party bickering is most unbecoming.

"Jamie"...

hmmm, it doesn't sound as... hardcore

ReputationRep:
    Tory/Labour bickering! Cool! I've gotta join in!

Hi.

ReputationRep:

The Conservatives are judged more than any other party,.
    I don't think they are, being that Labour is in power and making decisions every day, which the public/newspapers all analyse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper)
    Change everything you are, and everything you were. Your number has been called.
    Great song. Seen it live?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.