The Student Room Group

Are insurance exams easier than most other professional exams?

For insurance broker exams or insurance underwriting exams, are they easier than exams compared to accountancy exams such as the ACA or ACCA? How hard are these insurance exams, do they have a high or low pass rate?
Thanks.
The insurance industry may be one area of finance which is worth going into.
insurance comparison
Reply 2
I'm not sure. However there is no prestige about insurance compared ACA or actuarial exams (notoriously difficult), BVC and LPC. There is an obvious link between insurance and actuarial work however - calculating risk etc.
Does it matter? I mean, surely nobody would choose a career based on how difficult the entry exams are, right..?
Reply 4
Pink Bullets
Does it matter? I mean, surely nobody would choose a career based on how difficult the entry exams are, right..?

I think it does matter to be honest. For Actuarial, on average it takes 5 years to complete the fifteen exams and qualify. Actuarial isn't something you should go into unless you have a strong mathematical background and completely committed to that career path. You should always be ambitious but at the same time, be realistic about your ability.

I'm considering other career paths in insurance if I can't make it onto an Actuarial scheme. In particular, look out for those roles that offer training towards the CII qualification.
Reply 5
In terms of difficulty the CII exams are significantly easier than Actuarial/ACA/ACCA (Actuarial being by far the hardest). You can make a half decent living as a (re)insurance broker. Obviously you want to be a proper insurance broker (Lloyds Broker) as opposed to some skivvy who finds you home insurance in your local Endsleigh. But nobody is going to be blown away if you tell them that you've done your CII exams, they're basically to make sure you're not a retard.

http://www.lloyds.com/ should have some useful stuff on there
I know that this is a few months after the post, but it's worth clearing this up. Professional exams are at different levels - the CII ones are at Level 3 (same level as A level or BTEC National), Level 4 (same level as year one of a Bachelors degree) and Level 6 (same level as year three of a Bachelors degree. Other bodies like ACCA and CIMA have their exams at different levels too, so they're as tough as you want them to be.
Reply 7
Hi All,
I m looking for job opportunities in Insurance brokerage house in London. I relocated to London an year ago. I m studying toward ACII and recently just done with Cert CII. My problem is I am not getting any responses on my job applications. Although, I have experience from my previous job in my home country. Does anybody have any advise for me that how do I purse my career further from here. I am soo frustrated at this moment. 😲😲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending