The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you sick of modern society?

Scroll to see replies

What's the point of being sick of it? This is the time we were born into. At least you're entitled to be sick of things nowadays - in previous times, suggesting you were sick of this or that would have been a crime suitable to see your head hewn roughly off at your shoulders. I dislike significant elements of modernity, but it could be worse.
L i b
I don't think applying for jobs has ever been at all romantic. Still, if the Job Centre is what gets you all hot and flustered, who am I to criticise? Certainly one of the odder fetishes out there though.

I didn't mean that was what I found romantic, I was just using it as an example of what I find annoying about computer use.
Reply 82
OP, stop moaning and get on with your life.
Reply 83
Because the white man still has control of the world.
Reply 84
People
Reply 85
Original post by Fusilero
Perhaps. But not as sick of it as ancient societies. People before us were -terrible-

People "were" and "are" terrible across all times. Our nature hasn't changed, just our society/civilization has. We have modern forms of torment that have evolved with the times. Sure, we may be less "barbaric," but that is a product of society evolving. Now we F people over in an economical sense, not chopping off heads. Man is good, man is evil, man is man. End of story.
Original post by drben35
People "were" and "are" terrible across all times. Our nature hasn't changed, just our society/civilization has. We have modern forms of torment that have evolved with the times. Sure, we may be less "barbaric," but that is a product of society evolving. Now we F people over in an economical sense, not chopping off heads. Man is good, man is evil, man is man. End of story.

You are replying to a post from 2009!
Reply 87
Original post by ODES_PDES
You are replying to a post from 2009!

Lol!! Well you're replying to a post that's replying to a post from 2009!
Original post by drben35
Lol!! Well you're replying to a post that's replying to a post from 2009!

I merely guiding you!
:tongue:
Reply 89
Original post by ODES_PDES
I merely guiding you!
:tongue:

Thanks. Can you also tell me the meaning of life? That'd be some real guidance.
Original post by drben35
Thanks. Can you also tell me the meaning of life? That'd be some real guidance.

Normally I would oblige but not it is time for :sleep:
Original post by Hanvyj
I got this far and stopped...

Lol at your wilful ignorance.

Go on and be another blind dumb statistic all your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nidhoggr
Lol at your wilful ignorance.

Go on and be another blind dumb statistic all your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The irony though.
Reply 93
OP. You need to read the book How to be Free by Tom Hodgkinson.

And How to be Idle

And The 4 hour working week possibly.

And possibly Affluenza by Oliver James

And there are some pretty wonderful books out there about what really makes us happy. They deal vey well with the issues raised on here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any issues I have with modern society have nowt to do with society modernising. It's just human nature in general. The timeless, inevitable flaws of just being a certain type of person. The selfishness, the greed, mostly immorality and without a care being so or not trying to be better is what really makes it bad, in my eyes. Like people hurt their own families for their own what they think is personal benefit, I just can't. When I don't pay attention to the facts which I always try to do, life is alrite I guess.
Basically what I just said, yea. I normally don't think so bleakly but...tis true, I'm learning.
Reply 96
Original post by kevin_123
It can't be just me..
I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS TIS WAY! WHY DONT WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

It's definitely not just you. It's many of us caught up in the BS fed to us by the media.One of the best classes I ever had was "Mass Media" way back in 12th grade & boy did that open my eyes to how advertising tries to get us to buy stuff & how they try to manipulate our attitudes. I spent my life trying to please my bosses, make money, make my elders & my children happy, so they all would love me, and now I look back and ask "why did I care so much about them that I sacrificed my time, my love, my dedication, basically my life, when I could have gone to California and lived like a hippy (like I dreamed of when I was sixteen)?" Why did I choose to follow a straight, conservative path and what was it that influenced my decisions? In America, we are free to make a lot of choices, even though many are made for us. So part of growing up is figuring out what has influenced the choices we made & is there a way for us to divorce ourselves from those choices, so we can follow another path? I fully agree there is too much BS in this world via corporations, the horrible food they sell, and the other things you mentioned. I also believe most people are sheep and they belong where they are. Most do not question their lives cuz they are content to know the little they know & never move away or never make changes that might improve their lives. That leaves thinkers as yourself to analyze your life and be brave enough to live the way you truly feel is good for you. If you believe in God as I do, then know that whatever choices you make, it is only you that need answer to God for those choices. Live it your way.
Reply 97
Original post by Mathemagicien
"Allahu ackbar!"
*Blows up tube station*
> Surviving bystanders: lets not be judgemental guys. Only God may judge him, for this act was His will.
*Gets judged by God*
*Gets sent to heaven and given 72 virgins*

Trouble with virgins is they are only good for one event. What happens after 72 days?
Reply 98
Original post by Mathemagicien
suicide bomb heaven?
Guess the terrorists will just have to pork each other.
Original post by kevin_123
It can't be just me.. this whole.. school -> college -> uni -> job -> marriage -> family -> death thing! Everything is so damn unnecessary, we're all stuck in this controlled society believing we live in this great democratic world but it's all so ****. If you've seen fight club you'll understand what I mean..

Dont you people feel like you want it to change? I just hate it so much.. stupid big corporation wanting to make money, our food is full of colouring, preservants, fat and salt.. proccessed food is becoming stupidly cheap and fruit/veg is getting more expensive... dont you wish the world would just change and all people would just start living..

There is soo much depression and crap and we're just given pills to surpress it, diseases like cancer are increasing soo much, we're just creating problems and finding temporary solutions...

I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS TIS WAY! WHY DONT WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

I cant be the only one that saw this thread, and first thing they thought of was this:

Latest

Trending

Trending