The Student Room Group

Running away from home and am 18 where to go?

I can't explain my full story as I don't have time, I've been thinking for a whhile about running away from home because of all the hhardships, I get beaten up, my dad is cheating and my mom doesnt believe me when I tell her, Im not allowed to go out, its hard for me. What ptions do I have, where do I call, can I get a house on my own and live on my own whilst still at school. Is it possible?
The NSPCC Child Protection Helpline (0808 800 5000)

Call is free:P give them a call seriously running away is NOT option.

NSPCC can put you in touch with services that will help.

Runaway Helpline
Tel: 0808 800 7070

It is NOT possible to get a house on your own whilst still at school. Please before you make your decision talk with NSPCC they can help you get through this and i hope you can get help. GOOD LUCK:P
Reply 2
Thank You. I just can't live under this roof, my life is in danger, running away is the only option for me.
Reply 3
Ymca
Reply 4
OP. At 18, are you not due to move out anyway soon? Surely you finish school relatively soon, and will then either be attending university or getting your own place?

If I were you (and I've been in your situation), I'd brave it and hold out until the summer. It's a risk, but there's not a lot of support out there for people in your situation and it could really throw any future you've planned off balance.
Anonymous
Thank You. I just can't live under this roof, my life is in danger, running away is the only option for me.

If that is the case, NSPCC will provide you with the necessary help and will give you an acommodation to stay in. I am very sorry:frown:
i assume that as you're 18, you're in upper sixth so theres not that much longer left in school. i'd personally go live with a friends family for a bit while you're still in school. and then either off to uni, or get a job. then you won't need to ever see your parents again
Reply 7
cpj1987
OP. At 18, are you not due to move out anyway soon? Surely you finish school relatively soon, and will then either be attending university or getting your own place?

If I were you (and I've been in your situation), I'd brave it and hold out until the summer. It's a risk, but there's not a lot of support out there for people in your situation and it could really throw any future you've planned off balance.

I can't live with all the tension in the house, I have researched and I could get emergency gousing depending on how deep my situation is, and I could get all benefits aswell, I would look for a job to keep me going,. and yes I am at school atm aswell but I don't know if I can hold out. My dad is not home, when he gets back and I tell him he will probably beat me and I don't want that to happen. I've told my mom and shes just given a lecture.
Reply 8
Anonymous
I can't live with all the tension in the house, I have researched and I could get emergency gousing depending on how deep my situation is, and I could get all benefits aswell, I would look for a job to keep me going,. and yes I am at school atm aswell but I don't know if I can hold out. My dad is not home, when he gets back and I tell him he will probably beat me and I don't want that to happen. I've told my mom and shes just given a lecture.

Unfortunately, as I say, the system isn't always as supportive as it sounds in theory.
If you can find that help, brilliant, go for it, but it's not always the case that you'll be able to. I don't know, maybe it's different at 18 (and potentially very different if you can prove your situation), but I too tried to make a similar escape at 16. It was another three years before I got a phone call telling me that suitable accommodation had been found - by then, I'd moved out anyway and was at university.
If you've done your research and think you might be able to get help, then go to the relevant people and seek it, but remember that in doing so you'll be changing your lifestyle dramatically - and though it might be safer in the short-term, it COULD affect your life more in the long-term.
If there is any way at all that you can hold out for a few months (spending barely any time at home, hiding away in your room when you are), then I'd say to do so, because you're very close to an escape route once you finish school.
Reply 9
The most important thing for me is staying in school and not letting thhis affect me, Im worried that I will not get housing and will have to come back home and face more abuse. If I do get housing which I hope is soon, I don't care if I have to work 24/7 sleeping on the floor, struggling aslong as Im awa from home.
Original post by Anonymous
The most important thing for me is staying in school and not letting thhis affect me, Im worried that I will not get housing and will have to come back home and face more abuse. If I do get housing which I hope is soon, I don't care if I have to work 24/7 sleeping on the floor, struggling aslong as Im awa from home.

How did it go?

I'm on the same boat. How can I find a house when I get ti uni?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
How did it go?

I'm on the same boat. How can I find a house when I get ti uni?

good luck getting a reply from an 8 year old thread........
wow. Thread is old as balls but for anyone else, I can tell you now if you're homeless and need the council's help, and you're 18, working, and left home yourself...:nope:. Definitely not if you're male.
They WILL deem you "intentionally homeless." I know how it goes.

You also can't be getting student loans, they'll consider you well taken care of and tell you "look for something in the private sector."

You're too old for a hostel, and you weren't kicked out or fleeing an abusive home or country, and you don't have kids I reckon. Good luck to anyone in OP's situation as the weather gets colder and it gets darker earlier. Homelessness is real, you'll be kipping on a bench.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending