The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craig_D
But ... why make up climate change? Unless academics generally believe it to be really happening, how can they possibly gain from fabrication and scare mongering?

Their jobs? Most grand, over-arching conspiracies are usually based on a few people making money for themselves or, if not even making a fortune, just self preservation. It is, undeniably, in climate change scientists best interests to pursue an agenda of climate change, because thats how they get their funding. Of course, this doesn't mean they are (in the same way that scientists funded by oil companies aren't necessarily coming to their conclusions because of who pays them), but I think it's hard to deny that there's a potential conflict of interest.

It happens a lot. Next time there's a report out about basically anything with which the government has control (ie basically everything), take a look at who made the report. If they're based in the UK and aren't for profit, they have to declare their funding sources. 99% of the time, you'll find that they (and "they" includes countless charities) get a massive chunk of their funding from a government department, the EU, or even an opposition party. Now again, that alone doesn't mean they're corrupt, but when they're main funder - and thus the group thats basically paying their wages - is expecting certain conclusions, one has to question whether there's a conflict of interest. Then again, people don't work for free, and someone has to fund it, so who knows.
Reply 21
If we're mistrusting research based on the financial clout of the companies backing it surely oil companies are the ones with the most money muscle?
around
If we're mistrusting research based on the financial clout of the companies backing it surely oil companies are the ones with the most money muscle?

Well actually the insurance industry (which is the one that seeks to gain the most from climate change, especially if it's all false) is worth a cool $1tr more per year than the Oil and Gas industries combined, but I don't think that is what people are saying specifically, anyway. It doesn't have to be a massive, shady, supranational corporation or government department, just that most people will say things that their paymasters like to hear. Not always, of course, but one cannot ignore it.
Reply 23
Craig_D
But ... why make up climate change? Unless academics generally believe it to be really happening, how can they possibly gain from fabrication and scare mongering?

The why is pretty easy. Look at how much money is being thrown at it now and they are just ramping it up.

I am sceptical about the whole situation, we can't even predict tomorrows weather that well, 50 years in the future is just stupid. I go along with it though as oil dependence is the most dangerous thing in the world right now.
Reply 24
If Global Warming is a fraud? What reason do you give for them making it up?
Reply 25
Its just the old tactic of attacking the messenger if like the OP, your don't understand the message. Much easier to accuse the messengers of fraud or deception rather than try to understand and refute the message.
Reply 26
Craig_D

A global tax, Keeping down the third world, ceasing land, decreasing standard of living. to name a few
Reply 27
Craig_D

fossil fuels wont be around forever, and up untill global warming was all over the media was anybody doing much about developing renewable energy methods? even if it is false (which i have always believed anyway) it has been a good thing for all this technological development.
Reply 28
MrCynical
Rather a lot of extrapolation for your last sentence there. If true, this shows one group of climate scientists has been carrying out academic fraud, and hence there data is invalid. Nothing more. Fraudulent data does show up occasionally - that's inevitable, and that's why "consensus" matters.

Coming to the conclusion "Global warming is fraud" based on the fact(?) that one set of data is fraudulent is ridiculous from a scientific point of view. There's all the data from other group out there which would have to be fraudulent before you can even get to "there is no evidence for global warming".

The Wall Street Journal link is a reasonable source, and does appear to refer to the posted e-mail. The other two links in the OP are nowhere near unbiased enough to be considered credible sources. The BBC link merely states the hack occurred - nothing about the content of the e-mails, so it isn't a useful source. I'd prefer a look at the e-mail content by a more reputable source.

I would accept this if it were not for the fact that some of those involved where leading contributors to the third and fourth IPCC report on climate change.
i'll be watching this one closely...

in those reams of data that were hacked, how prolific is this dodgy science? or is it just a few lone examples?
This scandal shows the sceptics for what they really are... ill informed, sound bite, liars.

I notice that the vast majority of the blogs fail to post the full content of the emails instead they resort to selecting key quotes and ripping sentences out of their original context. They are attempting to hoodwink the public yet they fail to realise that the public will be able to read the full emails themselves and realise that when read in context the scientists are not manipulating data nor are they making things up.

Read this article here, in particular the last half which shows that the sceptics are the ones who are lying: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/23/hacker.climate/
Reply 31
Or, if you're really that lazy, I've quoted from the very same article what the two sound bite examples really mean:

Spoiler

Spoiler

CyclopsRock
Well actually the insurance industry (which is the one that seeks to gain the most from climate change, especially if it's all false) is worth a cool $1tr more per year than the Oil and Gas industries combined, but I don't think that is what people are saying specifically, anyway. It doesn't have to be a massive, shady, supranational corporation or government department, just that most people will say things that their paymasters like to hear. Not always, of course, but one cannot ignore it.

The thing is, if the scientists are supposedly coming up with what their 'paymasters' want, then this implies the government want us to think there's global warming as part of some huge conspiracy.

However, I've never seen anyone actually explain why the government would want us to believe in it. There's occasional airy references to 'green taxes' but even if these were extraordinarily lucrative (which is unlikely, as they're designed to replace the traditional income tax etc.) weighing it up it doesn't make sense to me.

For starters, moving to a low carbon economy away from consumerism would be bad for GDP surely? Plus, the international plan that's being drawn up involves Western nations giving huge amounts of money to developing countries to help them clean up their emissions. It seems a little odd that Western governments would construct a conspiracy on a ridiculous scale in order to give lots of money to poorer countries.

Also considering that green measures are hugely politically unpopular it doesn't make sense from that perspective either. I actually think the reason we've been delayed so long in tackling climate change is the government don't know how to sell it to the people without losing a ton of votes.

I'm not necessarily asking you to defend the viewpoint, but can anyone who plucks 'it's all a government conspiracy' out of the air please explain in detail why they would construct such an extraordinarily elaborate hoax? (assuming such a hoax is even possible)
touchofclass
The thing is, if the scientists are supposedly coming up with what their 'paymasters' want, then this implies the government want us to think there's global warming as part of some huge conspiracy.

However, I've never seen anyone actually explain why the government would want us to believe in it. There's occasional airy references to 'green taxes' but even if these were extraordinarily lucrative (which is unlikely, as they're designed to replace the traditional income tax etc.) weighing it up it doesn't make sense to me.

For starters, moving to a low carbon economy away from consumerism would be bad for GDP surely? Plus, the international plan that's being drawn up involves Western nations giving huge amounts of money to developing countries to help them clean up their emissions. It seems a little odd that Western governments would construct a conspiracy on a ridiculous scale in order to give lots of money to poorer countries.

Also considering that green measures are hugely politically unpopular it doesn't make sense from that perspective either. I actually think the reason we've been delayed so long in tackling climate change is the government don't know how to sell it to the people without losing a ton of votes.

I'm not necessarily asking you to defend the viewpoint, but can anyone who plucks 'it's all a government conspiracy' out of the air please explain in detail why they would construct such an extraordinarily elaborate hoax? (assuming such a hoax is even possible)

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My whole point is that it's not a big government conspiracy, it's just a group of people looking out for themselves. There's no big orchestrator in Israel working it all out, but there are numerous think tanks out there that agree with global warming. Whatever their initial reasons for being set up (very possibly a genuine concern for the environment), they can't turn around now and say they were wrong, because they'd all lose their jobs. So, for the people working there, they'd want man made global warming to happen (or, at least, appear to be happening) because without it, they lose their job. (This is all hypothetical - I'm not saying it's not happening or that it is, merely that it's in their immediate interest for it to be). Likewise with basically every pressure group and think tank - typically, the thing they lobby against/for is the very thing they rely on for their own existence. Think tanks about tackling child poverty will never declare it eradicated, think tanks about scrapping the 2nd ammendment will never declare gun crime to be small or, for a more contentious one, pro-Israeli military action think tanks will never declare Israel's actions unjustified (and likewise for Palestinian ones), because, in all these cases, if they did, the people in question would be losing their jobs.

I think it's very rare that conspiracies actually happen - things considered conspiracies are nearly always just people trying to protect their own jobs.
jodylee
A global tax, Keeping down the third world, ceasing land, decreasing standard of living. to name a few

There are also a lot of people who stand to gain a lot financially by perpetuating the hysteria. Al Gore, for example, has made millions from fear-mongering.
CyclopsRock
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My whole point is that it's not a big government conspiracy, it's just a group of people looking out for themselves. There's no big orchestrator in Israel working it all out, but there are numerous think tanks out there that agree with global warming. Whatever their initial reasons for being set up (very possibly a genuine concern for the environment), they can't turn around now and say they were wrong, because they'd all lose their jobs. .

I understood all that, but it's a slightly different argument to the quote I was referring to:
CyclopsRock
people will say things that their paymasters like to hear

Particularly the 'like to hear' bit, and I was just exploring why global warming would be something the government would like to hear.

It might just have been phrasing, and you meant not so much what the government 'likes', but what will either scare them or interest them enough to secure funding? So it'd be not so much:

"The government wants there to be global warming > The scientists create global warming to get funding"

as

"The scientists create global warming to get funding > The government funds them because it seems important"

Is that right?
There's plenty of evidence on THE INTERNET of other TRUTHS

- check what REALLY happened on September 11 - it will surprise you
- check how Michael Jackson REALLY died
- check the REAL story of Princess Diana and Dodi
- and you wouldn't believe the MOON LANDING fake
Reply 37
To be honest, this doesn't "prove" anything. There are not 2 scientists in the the world investigating man made global warming. Most research by other parties such as NASA is still very reputable. 2 dodgy scientists does not make global warming "not real" anymore.
Reply 38
Made in the USA
There are also a lot of people who stand to gain a lot financially by perpetuating the hysteria. Al Gore, for example, has made millions from fear-mongering.

On the much more common hand, there are companies who stand to avoid losing much more money by promoting the conspiracy-theorist view of global-warming scientists.
Reply 39
birdsong1
On the much more common hand, there are companies who stand to avoid losing much more money by promoting the conspiracy-theorist view of global-warming scientists.

Completely agree. First they say that it will reck the economy to stop global warming, now they say that people and governments will make millions? Just because Al Gore makes a bit of money (it is his job in the end) doesn't mean it's not happening.

Latest

Trending

Trending