I have to learn 150 wds of french off by heart...

Watch this thread
helliethepinapple21
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
then write it out under exam conditions tomorrow, any ideas on the best technique to use?
Thanks
bigmo7
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Write it out once again, then try to write it out again without looking to the best of your ability, I find this works well with me...the more I write it out the more it sticks...
ourlastmemory
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I remember doing this last year.

Do it in chunks, read it through and say it, see how much you can say without looking then how much you can write until you're perfect, then add the next bit on etc etc. You'll be surprised how quickly you learn it
punkyrocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Speak it out loud. Speaking helps your brain to retain it. Try to remember the gist of each sentence rather than word-by-word, if you don't think you have enough time. 150 words is manageable, I think- I had to learn a page and a half for my iGCSE, years ago. Try to write it out completely, then check and see where the errors were. Perseverance is the only thing that can help, if you've got an exam on it tomorrow. Good luck!
whybird18
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Try and learn what the words mean more than memorising it. That way, if you do forget bits you'll know what it should mean and hopefully be able to write something that's correct, memorising quite often leads to spelling mistakes and bits missed out! Good luck!
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
150 words? That's like a few sentences... and it's not 150 once you count connectives. I assume even you know what 'et, la, les, sont, sommes, donc, parce-que" etc are.. you don't need to memorise them presumably.
toblerone93
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'm having to do 750 so count yourself lucky. It took me about 4-5 hours and I just split it into chunks then spoke it aloud
-XxX-
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
learn the first 10 sentences, and keep writing thm out till you know them, then learn the next 10 and do the same, then go back to the first 10 and so on

good luck for your exam. french was awesome :moon:
osiris6607
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Link all the words to every single Cheerio you had this morning.
Pezza18
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by helliethepinapple21)
then write it out under exam conditions tomorrow, any ideas on the best technique to use?
Thanks
Just continue to write it out. If it helps, bullet point the main points and continually write it out. Works for me...it may take a while, but its effective generally.
TheRabbit
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Read, write and speak out it through as many times as possible - thats what I did for all my standard grade German essays and seemed to work, create flash cards too if you have time.
Selenaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
memorize it like you would a speech, then during the exam say it out loud (in you head)... and write it.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I write each sentence on a new line and learn them a line at a time, building it up until I can do it all. Works a treat.
E13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Atleast it's only 150. I would go with writing it out in chunks, double checking it's all correct before you learn it. (I had to do this on Thursday...with 450 words...not fun.)
helliethepinapple21
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
thanks for all your help - I have spent about 5 hrs on it with lots of breaks inbetween which helps and have almost learnt it all! Now got to learn another 150 for Wednesday!
LisaaWhyy
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by whybird18)
Try and learn what the words mean more than memorising it. That way, if you do forget bits you'll know what it should mean and hopefully be able to write something that's correct, memorising quite often leads to spelling mistakes and bits missed out! Good luck!

Totaly agree with you here
I always find it better to understand what your writing, that way its not so crucial if you forget a bit, and you can create a bit of flare to your writing to!
Good luck with your exam tomorrow (yn)
ArcadiaHouse
Report 12 years ago
Translate it into English and learn what each word/phrase is in English. Break it up into chunks, read it, cover it, write it, check it, and repeat until it's perfect. At the end, do it for the whole thing. Worked for me

"Unless we remember, we cannot understand" - also applies to foreign languages!!
username133326
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
yeah basically just learn it as if u were gonna have to give it as a talk, without having notes to look at
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Just to add... I found learning it in my head much easier, but once I came to write it out I found that I would forget the next bit as it takes longer to write than think. So for that reason I would suggest also making sure that you can write it out from memory.

The best way I found was to write it out from memory and every time I forgot what was next I'd look at my copy and note the first word of that sentence. 150 words isn't much so there was usually only about 4 times I'd forget what was next and then I'd just remember these 4 words as my 'cues'. I guess it worked because it was always the same bits that I forgot.

Good luck with it though
JW92
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Write it down in the back of your planner and slyly copy it without the teacher noticing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads